Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,301 to 8,320 of 15,622 messages
07/04/2013 at 19:15

Mrs D - of course you are! No point training if you feel rubbish, you'll just make yourself worse

07/04/2013 at 19:32

Thankyou Maths, had a really top training week. But really not feeling it today. We'll done with your half! How's the leg after? 

07/04/2013 at 20:41

Wow, loads of training happening and resting for those that need rest.

I ran for an hour this morning and it was more or less all run just a few walk breaks. Had a little stop when our group of beginners came across 4 ponies that had escaped their field. A few minutes later our run resumed.

Got home, had a bowl of porridge, changed the wheel over on the bike, pumped up the tyres and off into the sunshine I went. 1 hour 44 minutes later 20 miles done. Had a stop 3/4 way round and as I went to unclip and stop my calf went into cramp, another rider out who stopped to nip in the local shop asked if I was OK.
Plus my pirate jacket had its first outing, very nice and warm and its long enough to keep my backside draft free. Average speed was an amazing 11.3mph which shows that all that time over winter on the turbo has done me some good.

Tired, eaten loads of food and junk, thankfully tomorrow is a rest day.

IronCat5    pirate
07/04/2013 at 20:49

Snow? Crazy!

90 minutes on the TT bike in the sun. Knackered - I must have OD'd on Vitamin D

08/04/2013 at 09:20

steady - well done

mrsd- thanks. legs are ok, although my left hip was feeling sore towards the end of the hm, think it is probably the ITB though, haven't got my foam roller here, so will make sure I do lots of stretching, going to be a bit of a rest week. No biking this week, walks with the family and the odd morning run/walk. If there is bad weather I will try to get them to the pool

08/04/2013 at 10:22

Well done on the HM Maths!

EcoSeal - 35mins for 8.5miles, please tell me you were cycling?

IronCat - it was lovely at the weekend wasn't it?

Rafiki    pirate
08/04/2013 at 10:35
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Snow? Crazy!

90 minutes on the TT bike in the sun. Knackered - I must have OD'd on Vitamin D

five and half hours on the TT for me - thats far too much vit D!!

08/04/2013 at 10:39

I was indeed cycling! I am not a running whippet (yet).

Maths- Hope your leg/hip sorts itself out with plenty of stretching and well done for the half.

Rest day today.

08/04/2013 at 11:27

Heyy all, Can I join in on here? 

Rafiki wrote (see)
five and half hours on the TT for me - thats far too much vit D!!

Ouch... Good job! That sort of time on the bike seems a long way off for me! 

Went for a 3mile run on sat, I was planning on a bit onger but my shins were a bit sore so thought I'd back off that a bit.

I've just been told by my physio that I can swim, so did 500 m on fri and another 500m early yesterday morning after a 20mile bike ride. I felt quite smug at getting home at 9am after a bike ride and a swim - I think I could get used to this early morning exercise!

I think I'll be joining my local master sessions as my swim needs a bit of work - mainly my breathing :S

08/04/2013 at 13:24

Hey Ginger, welcome on board! Good day's work there!

2.8miles run at lunch. Legs felt bit tired after yesterday's run, not sure I'm ready to do consecutive days yet.

I'm not going swimming at all atm, can't be asked to do bs anymore and haven't sorted out lessons for fc.

08/04/2013 at 17:37

Welcome Ginger, what tri are you training for?

It appears I may have been spotted wearing my pirate jacket whilst cycling.

08/04/2013 at 18:10

Sounds good Steady!

And all that biking from Cat and Rafiki

Welcome Ginger. Great to have you join us.

No training today cos I've been doing holiday funday stuff with the girlies. But my hubby has been out on his bike doing hills so his mojo is obviously back and perhaps we will make it to Cambridge after all.

08/04/2013 at 18:56
Hi Steady and Chilibean!

I'm planning on doing the Tunbridge Wells sprint in August as its a pool based one..... I need to get over my thing about open water before I'm brave enlighten for one of those sort!

Sounds like you had a good day Chilibean

I was planning on having a rest day today but I've been a bit piggy today and eaten too much.... Guilt has set in so I'm off for a run to make myself feel better!
08/04/2013 at 19:30

Rock on Rafiki!  I am afraid the couch won yesterday - I however didn't put up too much of a fight though.  I took the long way home 9 miles instead of four - was a good plan except most of it was uphill into a headwind  good for the legs!  Does anyone else get up at silly o'clock and go running?  How do you find it? I'm wondering if running in the morning wouldnt be better than afterwork, in terms of amount of energy I have.  

08/04/2013 at 20:11

I need to get up 6am to get to work and there's no chance in hell me getting up any earlier for exercise beforehand!

08/04/2013 at 21:22

Suckitupbuttercup, I have occaisonally done an early run, its OK but makes it feel like ages before lunch. I am better at getting up early for a swim, the other year I was quite happy to get up at 5am to get out for an OW swim before work. I agree with Mikasa though its bad enough getting up at 5.45am anyway.

GingerG there is nothing wrong with starting with a pool based tri, in fact my first race this year is a pool one. Once you get used to OW swim, a pool seems horrible in the summer.

08/04/2013 at 21:39

Maybe I need to learn fc in ow first. I have no hang-ups of ow so could be doable, what do peeps think?

08/04/2013 at 21:46

Go for it Mikasa, learn fc first, it is so much easier to do fc in a wetsuit than breast stroke.
I was unsure and a bit terrified of OW but some mornings it can be quite a magical experience. Imagine the sun rising, very slight mist coming up off the tranquil water, quiet and peaceful, just the sounds of nature and a few other swimmers. Other scenarios do occur but thats the best one.

09/04/2013 at 08:42

09/04/2013 at 09:01

suckitup - I have to be in the shower for 6am and get up at 4:30 ish to run/turbo/whatever. In terms of running it is great - just up and out and enjoying the peace of the early morning. Took me a few weeks to get into it, but I am so grumpy if I don't do it now. There are a few of us over on the 'who gets up at stupid o'clock' thread so pop in and say hi

mikasa - breast stroke in a wetsuit is really awkward, you can't really move your arms the right way and it made my back hurt, front crawl much easier, and the wetsuit helps you keep your feet and legs in the right position

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.