Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,341 to 8,360 of 15,449 messages
11/04/2013 at 07:12

MrsDigger, I know how you feel.  I'm up at 5 to feed the horses and chickens before work, I get home around 6.30, have some food and back out to check the animals.  I sometimes struggle to get my ass out and run/cycle/swim.  I found that having a buddy helped.  If I was particularly unmotivated, I'd arrange a run with him then I'd have to go.  Also, sometimes I just do a 3 or 5k run or just 20 minutes in the pool.  It makes me feel better.

I've still got my off road tyres on my mountain bike and I was thinking of changing them to road tyres this weekend in preparation for my first tri in a week or so, but after reading SteadyCJ's comment, I wonder if I just leave it alone.  It's working now, it might not be working after my cack-handed attempts to change them...

11/04/2013 at 09:25

I am going to worry now - I still have my bike in the turbo with turbo tyre on. I need to change it because I have my first tri next week haven't been able to use it this week because I am not at home. Going to change it on Saturday when I get back in preparation for an outside bike ride on Sunday. I had planned to get it serviced before any tris, but never mind, I'll have to sort that out when I am back home.

my son forgot to take his towel once, and dried himself using the hairdryer at the pool

11/04/2013 at 13:06

ooh you and me both Mathschick...I did ring to get a bike service last month and the first one they had free was 17th April, 4 days before my race and I didn't want to take the chance...I'll get it all sorted afterwards...I'm not likely to win the event and the tyre type isn't going to effect my times much.

Just back from my lunch time run, 7.14km in 38 minutes, about a minute slower than Monday's run.  I was day dreaming for most of it.

Razor51    pirate
11/04/2013 at 13:15
1500 swim at lunchtime in 36 mins I think I'm getting faster and my stroke seems ok, will run tonight with H
11/04/2013 at 14:21

ooh, I've just taken delivery of my first ever tri-shorts.  I had to hide the changing rooms at the office to try them on.  They are ...figure hugging... I was wondering if it'd be wrong to stick a rolled up pair of socks down the front for some added emphasis...

Edited: 11/04/2013 at 14:21
11/04/2013 at 18:23

Pete, you should be safe changing tyres. I have a lovely husband who is Mr Practical in the extreme. I on the other hand have an ability to make locks stick, wheels go wonky and all other paractical things go wrong. 

I have been invited out to a pre marathon dinner tomorrow, so will need to sort out the bike tonight or leave it until Saturday, but then Mr Steady will be at work and if it all goes wrong I will need to ask a neighbour for help.

11/04/2013 at 18:35

Road to work on my hybrid this morning as I thought it was going to rain - it didn't  definitely slower than my road bike!  No run tonight or this morning.  Husband has abandoned me for a prog convention in Wolverhampton so I'm going to get up early burly and run, run, run!

11/04/2013 at 22:38

Bike issues sorted by Mr Steady, used WD40, allen keys, a few choice words. Back brake was totally dismantled and rebuilt, he fiddled with the rear gear bits and tried to accuse me of wrecking both cassettes. He reckoned payment for fixing the bike was a big cuddle, so happy with the cost.
I will admit that there are a couple of teeth on the 2 smallest cogs that look more shark fin than tooth shape, but if they are both the same at least I am consistent.

12/04/2013 at 07:28
SteadyCJ wrote (see)

He reckoned payment for fixing the bike was a big cuddle, so happy with the cost.

Is that a euphemism?

I downloaded the ironfit book to my kindle last night.  It was only 4 quid something.  I was reading it on train this morning.  Interesting.

Is there an official injury thread on here?  I think I've done something to the tendons at the back of my left knee as they are really painful.

12/04/2013 at 08:31

pete - take care with your knee - what have you done? rest, ice and if it doesn't get better go to a physio is my advice

Dustboy    pirate
12/04/2013 at 10:35

1st swim (as in not taking teh kids) in 6 months last night. 40 lengths, ow. With lots of breaks. What a mess! LOL.

12/04/2013 at 10:39

I went for a run yesterday and my knee did feel a bit funny at the start.  It felt like I could feel the tendon moving against something, but it went away after a while.

I've got a sports massage on tuesday which I'm hoping will help.  I'm in the pool tonight and I'll do a final 20K bike at the weekend before taping down next week so I will be taking it easy.  My first triathlon is in 9 days.  I'll survive it and see how I feel afterwards.

12/04/2013 at 11:55

I do take food to work, just don't get the chance to eat it! Also, in all honesty being tired at work is not the best of plans for me. But, having realised other people's schedules feel like a bit of a girl. So, given myself a talking to and got up at 6 yesterday and did my first brick of the year. Rest day today and off to work shortly. 
Maths and Pete - what tri you doing?
Glad bike all sorted Steady, seems a top payment method. 
Hope the rain held off for your run Razor! 

12/04/2013 at 15:34

MrsD - I'm doing the David LLoyd Lincoln tri - pool based sprint. Hope you don't feel tired at work after your training, to be honest, I don't find that it effects me for work, and actually sets me up nicely for the day ahead

12/04/2013 at 17:22

Got up at silly o'clock - it was still dark and went for the usual run.  It was very quiet - I only saw three cars and no peeps.  I liked the getting up early and getting it done - got to 2pm today and fridayitis kicked in like there was no tomorrow  Mental note no running on friday mornings!  

Pete: keep an eye on that knee - if it niggles again I would go see someone about it. Good luck with the Tri!!

12/04/2013 at 18:49

MrsD I'm doing a novice triathlon in turriff up here in the far NorthEast of Scotland.

SuckitupButterCup, I live in a very remote glen and three cars are all we see all day on our road!  We see more tractors than cars.

Dustboy    pirate
12/04/2013 at 21:59

Tri in Jockland must take some cojones. Please don't say it's open water?

13/04/2013 at 09:04

no, not open water.  At least not this series.

I did my last big (for me) ride this morning.  It was bloody cold.  -3 when I started and -1 when I finished.  It was so cold that it physically hurt my head for the first 3km of the ride, but that Don Fink guy says that I should do my big rides at the weekend before the family gets up so I did. I followed my ride with a short run.  That was properly weird.  I think the cold had frozen my legs.  I couldn't do more than small steps.  I didn't feel tired but I couldn't make my legs stretch out to run.

Things I saw on my session today: 1 car, 1 tractor, 1 jogger (I didn't think anyone else exercises in this glen), 2 hares (I tried to race them but there are much quicker than me), lots and lots of sheep.

13/04/2013 at 13:10

I saw something the other morning moving across a field on my way to work the other day and I thought it was a fox (it was large and moving) - only realised when I got closer it was a very big bunny  must be something in the water!!  

Swim day today 2k - pretty much had the lane to myself for most of it and manage to knock off 17 mins off the last swims time.  Goes to show the amount of time you waste waiting for people to get far enough away from you to not run in to them or slow you down!  I have to say swimming pull drills without a pull buoy is a bit like hard work until you get in the swing of things  

Edited: 13/04/2013 at 13:10
13/04/2013 at 15:51

Well done on the bike ride Pete. I have been out, started off doing the usual figure of 8 loop but got fed up after one flooded road which I went through the middle of and hit a massive pothole. Bike OK so carried on then decided not to do the normal loop and headed off into the unknown, well I had looked at a map beforehand so had a rough idea of where I was going.
Road surface did not improve but saw a fly tipped toilet, 2 bunny rabbits and negotiated another road this time flooded only the whole of my side. It then started to drizzle, stopped then with 20 minutes to go it rained. Oh and I had a minor mechanical, the chain came off when I was going up from little front ring to middle one. Happened at a convienent place, I could park bike against a fence well away from traffic, put my latex gloves on a managed to get it back on, very black fingers so gald I put the gloves on. Cycled the rest of the way on middle and little rings only.

I am going to wash my bike tomorrow as the housework is waiting for me. Think I will do a bit then have a stretch then do some more to see if I can not seize up.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.