Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,361 to 8,380 of 15,369 messages
13/04/2013 at 19:02

ok, so I have swapped the rear wheels over - but there is a slight sound of some kind of friction when I move the wheel - is it likely to be that the brakes need adjusting, or have I done the locking nut up too tight? I am not sure how tight it needs to be

wish I had read CJ's post mentioning latex gloves before I did it

really hope I can get it serviced before next week's tri

13/04/2013 at 21:11

I was given the tip by someone else, it makes sense and  now I need to remember to replace with new ones in my little tool bag on the bike. I buy boxes of 100.
Try undoing the locking nut/QR skewer and re tighten, brakes might need adjusting. Your local bike shop may be able to give it a quick look over, or does the tri event have a bike shop at the event that could give the bike a check to ensure all is well.

14/04/2013 at 08:27

hmmm...ok, having read Mathschick's post, I'm definitely not fiddling with my tyres.

On my daughters bike, there was a couple of little screws on the brakes that allowed you to do very slight adjustments and that fixed the problem she had with the breaks catching on the wheel in one place.

I'm hoping if all goes well with this race and if I get the tri-bug then I can persuade the wife to let me get a racer to go with my mountain bike...as this is my mid life crisis, I'm sure I can argue that getting a racing bike if preferable to getting a porsche......and cheaper

14/04/2013 at 09:42

well, I think the brakes need a slight adjustment, one of the brake pads isn't very square on the rim, but I couldn't manage to turn it with my multitool. Anyway, not too bad and I have done 23 miles in the wind this morning, wanted to do further but spent about half an hour before setting off faffing about then the wind was just crazy. 2 hours altogether to not bad

pete - getting a road bike is infinitely preferable to a porsch or having an affair. Hmmm, being into triathlon is a little like having an affair

I love my pirate cycling jacket by the way

14/04/2013 at 10:41

The wind is a bit nuts today - was in two minds about going out today - but the wind just made it easier to have a rest day today.  Walked to tescos and was just about blown over - so cleaning it is  You are a better person than I mathschick!  I had visions of me coming off the bike feet still attached pity as otherwise it wouldve been a stunner of a day.  

Pete: I didn't have to persuade husband too hard about the bike as he has been hankering after a new cyclocross style bike so I said he could get one if I could get one

14/04/2013 at 10:51

Good work Maths, can't wait to see how you get on at the tri!
Wind is causing a few problems... 
I have a whopping chest infection, the joys of working in hospital. Seem to catch everything! Have antibiotics to throw down me. Got to work today so chilling out this morning and back on it tomorrow if I feel better. just swop rest days. 
Pete- always a good option to find a quid pro quo of some form! 

Razor51    pirate
14/04/2013 at 11:04
Hi Gang,
31 miles on the bike this morning, tough at times into a headwind, still managed to avg 15 mph so can't complain,
I have been looking at Evans cycle maintainance courses and its only a tenner, got to learn something for that price
14/04/2013 at 13:00

razor - I did one of those evans courses, and it was good, but alas I have forgotten everything now I need to use it

MrsD - hope you feel better soon

buttercup - I would rather be battling the wind than cleaning

IronCat5    pirate
14/04/2013 at 21:32

Wow - what a wind today. Seems like you all suffered from it too!

Tried out the new tri suit today. A little snug, but hey ho. Nice to see the big yellow thing in the sky.

Taper time for me now, getting ready for the road trip.

Blog update

Edited: 14/04/2013 at 22:11
14/04/2013 at 22:19

Glad I did my bike ride yesterday, the wind was bad today, well done on getting out there Mathschick.

IronCat I am having a little wibble about being on track for Outlaw Half. Yes I did the swim distance and 31 miles, but feel that doing the rest of the bike distance and the run is beyond me. I know there are 6 weeks to go, can you reassure me that is all OK for now. Loved your blog, the photo of HPP bought back memories.

IronCat5    pirate
14/04/2013 at 22:34

Steady, I still wibble when I see that pic of HPP!

You'll be fine for the Outlaw half. You know you can swim the distance. Once you're on the bike it's a case of turning the pedals and eating for some hours. 31 miles is over half way, though you might benefit from doing some longer cycle rides now it appears to be getting warmer.

We both know you can do the run dstance based on last year, so it's all about the bike.

15/04/2013 at 07:17

Ok, stupid question: how do I wear my race belt thingy that has my number on it.  I only got it at the weekend and when I put it on, I felt weird, like it was constricting my chest.  It's got to be tight otherwise it'll slip down won't it?

Where should I position it? high up on my chest or somewhere near the middle?

WhizKid    pirate
15/04/2013 at 07:19
On you waist Pete where on the back on the bike turn around too the front for the run simples!
15/04/2013 at 07:40

D'oh!

thanks

15/04/2013 at 07:54

steady - I am also a bit worried about the bike distance, and with a tri next Sunday, that is not going to be a day for long ride, so the Sunday after I am going to try to do around 40 miles or so. I am also thinking of cycling in to work one or two days a week - it is about 18 miles. Think it will be on my mountain bike though as the roads are really busy, and the cycle paths all up and down rubbishy pavements, and there is an off road section I can take. If I can do 18 miles at the end of a long day at school on my feet after cycling in as well, then mentally I will be better prepared.

15/04/2013 at 10:13

Cool blog Mr Cat! Love the new kit! 
Steady and Maths you'll be grand! Races are coming thick and fast now... Glad your number belt quandry sorted Pete! 
I'm full of flu thing still. Popping the antibiotics like a good girl. Thinking of heading over to Bristol lake end of month to give wetsuit a dip. Hoping it will have warmed by then. Been advised to lay off exercise for a few days. Should hopefully not interfere with plan too much(fingers crossed). 

Razor51    pirate
15/04/2013 at 12:36
Mrs D ....Get your feet up for a couple days

Mathschick ....36 miles a day commute a lot of good will do your confidence and your legs.
15/04/2013 at 18:28

MC - I think that would mentally prepare me too! Great idea.

I've been riding my bike too. Rather slowly since it's been Easter Hols so have had the girlies home. Today two girls went back to school but hubby and I did 22 miles with the other two. Very, very slowly interspersed with hot chocolates and picnic lunch. Beautiful sunshine though.

15/04/2013 at 18:30

Cat! Ooooo, what a lovely Tri suit Am very excited for you.

15/04/2013 at 18:40

chili - that sounds like a lovely day

tomorrow I am riding to school - kind of apprehensive about it, but once I have done it a couple of times and made it a habit I will be fine. Must make sure I remember to take my keys and pass though or I won't be able to get into my classroom or the tea room when I get there!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.