Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,381 to 8,400 of 15,700 messages
15/04/2013 at 21:45

Cat - finally had a look at your blog. New trisuit very nice!!

Mrs Digger - take it easy!

Maths - good luck on your cycle, I'm sure you'll be grand.

I'm so very very slow in my running atm. It's very frustrating looking back on old records but I am enjoying it and I'm sure I'll get quicker soonish. I didn't manage to do anything during the weekend and I'm really wanting to start doing a bit longer run when I have time.

15/04/2013 at 22:39

Mathschick I was planning on doing a few rides into work on days that it is within a sensible distance, but the planned new system and way of working has been delayed and I don't fancy having to cycle with a large rucksack full of work stuff and spare clothing etc. I hot desk, so I have only one little draw to store anything and that is already full and I usually carry a rucksack. Also it means cycling into south London and that is not that cycle friendly although there seems to be plenty of people doing it. I have a 5 mile race at the end of the month, so looks like I will have to do a long ride on the Saturday and just be tired for the race, then in May I have a sprint Tri.

Chili, thats sounds like a really nice way to do a bike ride.

Dustboy    pirate
15/04/2013 at 23:04

Couple of laps with Soupy round Richmond Park tonight. First outing of the year. Nice evening out. Soupy is getting a bit handy as well on that thar velocipede.

16/04/2013 at 08:40

managed to cycle in, but took me much longer than I thought, combination of it being mainly uphill, strong wind and using the mountain bike, just wouldn't want to take my road bike on the crap cycle paths, glass and gravel everywhere. Steady - it is quite a long way for me, but only abuot 6 miles on fairly quiet roads, then cycle paths (pavement sharing ones) by the side of the busy roads

well, if the wind keeps up I will have a quick cycle home

Razor51    pirate
16/04/2013 at 08:58
4 mile run done this morning before work and a nice morning it is, had the shorts on and only a base layer and gillet on, happy days.
Edited: 16/04/2013 at 08:59
16/04/2013 at 17:40

Dustboy, glad to hear that Richmond Park is fine, haven't been there for a run or ride for ages.

Mathschick, hope the wind is behind you all the way home. My commute would be 16 miles either way, may try it on the hybrid one day.

I decided that I was too tired to swim this morning, so enjoyed a sleep on the train instead. Pilates class tonight, so no real training, but hey ho thats the way life goes.

16/04/2013 at 17:52

well, the thought of cycling home was much worse than the reality, wind wasn't exactly behind me, but lots of downhill. Have to admit that I coasted a fair bit of it, so I guess if I actually pedal all the way I wpuild be quicker! Will do it again on Thursday. I left clothes at work on Monday, and left them there again tonight, so need to drive inbetween to change them! 

16/04/2013 at 19:09

OMG the tailwind was awesome coming home 24mph down the flat stretch!  And a 2 mile run when I got home.

Welldone Mathschick commuting is good for adding extra miles into busy schedules - I read somewhere (in reference to running but I'm sure it's applicable to cycling too) that volume matters to getting faster not just the 50 or 100km outing on the weekends, that the peeps who are out there day in, day out are more likely to have better times.  

If it's raining or skanky weather I would take my hybrid as well, if it's nice like today I will definitely take my road bike.  

And SCJ cross training is real training!  

16/04/2013 at 19:14

buttercup - I am hoping biking on the mountain bike will build up my legs so that everything feels so much easier on the road bike. Glad I chose that bike as the cycle paths had quite a lot of glass and stuff, wouldn't want a puncture on the road bike on my way in

16/04/2013 at 19:16

Well done on the commute Maths!

I went for a pootle on the bike after work, just 12 miles done. Found a new route of 17miles close by which should work fine, will try that next time. Not sure why I didn't go for it today as had plenty of time. Anyway, ride was nice otherwise but the tarmac was in really bad condition, bit bumpety-bump.

16/04/2013 at 21:15

I had an hour long massage at lunch time and my knees don't hurt any more.  She was doing some weird stuff to my legs, it felt like she was repositioning the muscles!  At 3pm, I realised that I hadn't had any of the twinge pains in my knee since lunch time...I think she's fixed me!

And its my birthday today, I got home to a slap up meal, big cake and a turbo trainer! .  That's winter training sorted...and spring/autumn, well I do live in Scotland!

I haven't even done my first tri and I'm thinking about training for an IronMan.  I can turbo all winter and the office is moving to 2 miles from a good pool...I can swim and leave the car and run to the office...I already run most lunch times...No, I think I'll see what I feel like after I've done a couple of triathlons...

Razor51    pirate
16/04/2013 at 21:42
Happy birthday Pete
IronCat5    pirate
16/04/2013 at 22:09

Happy birfday

9km run tonight with some fast bits thrown in. Did Sufferfest's Long Scream last night at the work hotel (on my turbo...).

Steady, I read that as Pirates class! Good training SuckItUp, Mikasa & Maths. And DB/Soupy.

16/04/2013 at 22:37

Happy birthday Pete!

16/04/2013 at 22:39

Happy birthday Pete.

IronCat I can assure you it was not a pirate class, new style called ballet pilates, which is exactly what it is, lots of ballet type moves. I think I am going to ache tomorrow.

Off to the VLM expo tomorrow with some club mates, going to go for some retail therapy after work, so training tomorrow is looking a bit light weight.

16/04/2013 at 23:26

Happy Birthday Pete Yeah, Ironman dreams are quite normal

Sounds like lots of nice training taking place.

Steady - enjoy your shopping.

Swim for me today, but forgot my goggles so had to do all breaststroke. Although I did do a few lengths back stroke which felt odd cos I'm not used to it.

17/04/2013 at 07:27

thanks everyone...very little exercise for me this week...four days to go before my first ever triathlon...weather forecast is rain and  strong winds in your face for most of the race...

17/04/2013 at 07:47

morning everyone

pete - hope you had a good birthday and sounds like the massage was just the thing.

CJ - ballet pilates sounds like my kind of nightmare - my mother made me go to ballet when I was a kid and I hated it

little run/walk this morning, felt ok at the time but I will see later if my knee grumbles. The running bits felt hard, but I do find with this forefoot running style that I am quicker, so no wonder it feels hard, plus the lack of running for a while. Just kept to 2mins run/2 mins walk which felt about right for now

17/04/2013 at 10:41

Hi guys

Q. please for those of you who have prevously done the Stratford Tri.  If I don't buy a Tri suit, how easy is it to transition from trunks to cycle gear and then later to running shorts?  

Thanks.

Dustboy    pirate
17/04/2013 at 11:18

Given that nudity is not allowed, if I had one set only, I'd use running shorts from beginning to end. Unless you have a particularly fine arse and legs, in which case, just use the trunks.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.