Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,421 to 8,440 of 15,505 messages
18/04/2013 at 22:23

Porridge for breakfast, then a cerealbar or banana or snack of some sort about 10.30 would be OK. I get nervous before a race and get extra hungry.

19/04/2013 at 19:07

Cat - is your event tomorrow or Sunday? Am very excited for you and we will be cheering you on.

Pete - I'm with Steady. I have a normal breakfast and then a snack about 1hr before.

Buttercup - well done on the swimming

Biking Queen? Lol. Nope, not going fast or far, but in prep for next weeks trip I have just done another cycle ride with my gorgeous No.2 girl. Not sure what is 'good' for a 9yr old. But 12.5 miles in just over 1.5hrs with a snack break in the middle must be fairly good going.

19/04/2013 at 19:13

pete - I'm the same as steady, porridge then a banana before the event

rode to work again, got a bit cold on the way back, should have stopped to get my pirate jacket out of my backpack, but didn't want to faff about

chili - that is good going for a 9 year old

Razor51    pirate
19/04/2013 at 20:06
Early morning run, 4.5. Miles at 9.24 min/ml and felt good

Cat... Good luck this weekend.
19/04/2013 at 20:18

cat - only just had chance to look at your blog. love the tri suit and have a great time. Good luck

19/04/2013 at 20:27

Cat - good luck! Didn't realise it was this weekend already...

My usual run at lunch time, almost a minute quicker than last time and it didn't feel that hard. Not that I would like to run that 'fast' every time. Today's average was 10.14min/mi.

Which brings me to asking some advice. Trying to run 3 times a week now but as it's lunch times I only do just under 3 miles. Really want to up my mileage though as starting to think about doing Bristol half again (15th Sep). I guess obvious next step would be to do a 'longer' run at the weekend, starting with maybe 4 miles this weekend? I know my mileage is woefully low and in a way I feel like I'm starting all over again which is really frustrating but at least I'm running again. At some point I'll probably need to stop running with the guys at work as they're going to want to start going faster and faster and I want to build my miles. It's really nice to run in a company for a change as usually I'm quite happy to plod on  my own.

Edited: 19/04/2013 at 20:29
19/04/2013 at 20:31

mikasa - yeah, add a long run at the weekend. You could always keep running once or twice a week with the guys from work and treat that as a speedwork/hard day

19/04/2013 at 21:16

Just back from a last dip in the pool.  The life guards tried to help with my stroke, but it's two days to go before the race so there isn't much I can do.

And my car stalled twice at junctions on the way...it's never done that before...something else to worry about...what if the car breaks down on the way to the race...I don't want to have to cycle to the triathlon...

IronCat5    pirate
19/04/2013 at 22:22

Hi all,  thanks for the support.  Race is on Sunday. 

Blog updates throughout the weekend. 

20/04/2013 at 07:44

pete - hopefully your car will get you there ok, nothing worse than having something real to stress about to go with all the pre-race nerves

cat, you will be great, I'll try to keep up to date on you over the weekend

IronCat5    pirate
20/04/2013 at 09:19

Pete - hope it all works out. Had a panicked phone call from MrsCat - exhaust hanging down and noisy. Local garage patched it up, but it will be expensive.

I feel your pain with the funny start time. I can happily (ish) be up at 5 or 6am for a 9am race. 11:30 isn't too bad - get breakfast doen by 3 hours before, then do whatever feels right. I normally get to the event, register, get a coffee. Then a good (5-10km) bike warmup, rack bike then a 2-3km run warm up.

Then hide in the car or a dark corner listening to loud music (Enter sandman by Metallica, Eye of the tiger, The Race by Yello, etc). Get to the start line with a minute or so to go (or the briefing!) then get ready.

Good luck, and SMASH IT!

Good running as ever Razor.

Mikasa - it depends on whether you think you can ramp the mileage or whether you need to stick to the 10% rule. Increase the weekend run to ~10k. Once you're there either add another weekday run or increase one of the others. Once you're at 5km/10k/10k you can increase the weekend run and the last weekday run bit by bit. OR.....keep with a 10k weekday and weekend, then use the 5km weekday run for a bit of speed work.

Dustboy    pirate
20/04/2013 at 15:35

Frimley 5K done and dusted, nothing broke

Cyfac fettled, lubed and the bling Dura Ace is back on. Tryout tomorrow and ride with Soupy on Thursday in RP after work. (Others welcome, it's a laugh).

20/04/2013 at 16:32

DB can't make it to RP on Thursday, thats my day to be down your way and then I do the supermarket shop on the way home.

I have cycled lots. I tried Me..face's route he suggested on another thread. I was only going to do most not all of it. But I went a bit wrong, nice day for a ride so enjoyed it but ended up doing 48 miles and with all the stops for eating it took 4:52. It is a lovely route and only a few big lumps apart from the one I did at the end 'cos I was too tired to go the long flat way home, decided that up for a mile or so with a short sharp 20% hill followed by about 3 miles all downhill gentle gradient.

I feel more confident about the bike for Outlaw half, but have discovered that my left foot swells up and hurts by the end of that distance. Pirate jacket has been in the washing machine for a cold wash along with all the other sports stuff and came out almost perfect, just a few oil marks on the sleeve from last weeks emergency fixing.

20/04/2013 at 18:26

62 miles, 5:02 hrs - max speed 36mph  although I suspect I would've felt better had I taken account of the hills and then had the needed calories to climb them!  I didn't bonk but definite tiring of legs after Market Bosworth.  But what an awesome day to be out and about!  So glad the wind died down.  It's my birthday today and husband got me a garmin so I was out playing with that.  

Mikasa: could you not do an extra 5 or 10 minutes on each run you do working up the amount of time you would like to do on the weekend? And then when you can run the extra 30 to 40 minutes move those minutes to the weekend and then you aren't breaking the 10% rule.

CJ: good job with the biking! Do you know why your foot is swelling? Is it your shoes?

20/04/2013 at 19:06

Great cycling ButterCup!

Dustboy - Well done!

All the best to Cat, MC and Pete for your races tomorrow. Have i missed anyone?

Well, the sunshine has been beautiful today and girlies decided they wanted to do a triathlon. We began with parkrun 5k this morning at 9am (I cycled down so did a 'brick' session). Then just before lunch we cycled over to the town centre park where St Georges Day was being celebrated (and hubby was manning the church stand). Then after our picnic we took advantage of the free swim at the pool. And cycled home this evening.

Everyone is feeling very happy with themselves. And I'm shattered! Have done a 6 day training week so think I might have a rest tomorrow.

Dustboy    pirate
20/04/2013 at 19:33

Good stuff going on here. Steady, was that the 20% one just after the bottom of Ranmore? Then goes downhilll to Bookham I think. That's part of my Surrey Hills ride (the easy bit)

20/04/2013 at 21:46

DB, yes thats the one, so glad it was on my way home.

The route was Effingham, Ockham, West Horsley, Guildford, Shalford, Wonersh out to Cranleigh. Then Ewhurst, Ockley, Newdigate, Brockham, Dorking, West Humble, home. Lumpy bit out of Ewhurst but otherwise not too bad, garmin reckons total of 3,000 ft climbing.

Chili, deffo have a rest tomorrow.

21/04/2013 at 08:26

Good luck guys today, can't wait to hear all. Had problems with computer this week all sorted now. Just off to Bristol to dip a toe in a lake for first time this season. See how the new wetsuit fares! Woop Woop!

21/04/2013 at 13:15

MrsD is this the lake just north of bradley stoke?

Good luck to all those racing today, cycle yesterday tackled some hills which I haven't done before and didn't explode.  Long walk with the OH this morning.

21/04/2013 at 13:33

It is indeed Eco and mighty chilly. Enjoyed it but has exposed my awful swimming. Panicking a bit as only 3 weeks to go till the tri. 
Well done with the cycle, it's nice now the wind has died down!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.