Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,441 to 8,460 of 15,821 messages
21/04/2013 at 13:49

I had a close encounter with a carp in that lake!

Are you doing the Cotswold super sprint? I'm thinking of doing the womens only tri later in the year as well as the Team Tri Glos pool based event.

How did you get on with the wet suit?

21/04/2013 at 14:37

There are some big old carp in there... Wetsuit was fine. Probably a bit big on arms and legs but didn't impede me and my awfulness! 
Yeah, doing Cotswold Supersprint and being persuaded to do the ladies in June. The Glos one supposed to be good too. Can't remember when it is.

21/04/2013 at 15:17

Mid May for the TTG, wanted to do a pool based tri before Cotswolds, though I'll probably only do the 400m swim event, my swimming is not pretty and last year I spent a long old time in Lake 32 trying to cover 750m.

21/04/2013 at 16:30

first tri of the year for me, and wore my pirate kit for the first time in a race, got a few 'arghhhs' which was good

I took the swim pretty easy, 11mins, then the bike was ok, although I have to admit getting off on a really steep hill as I wasn't sure my knee would get me up it. The rest of the bike route was fairly flat, which I actually find a lot harder than an undulating route, but 24K in 1:04, then the run, well I ran a bit walked a bit as my knee was hurting, but did the 5k in 35 mins, which with having to walk half of it I was pleased with. Transition times, about 3 mins in T1 (had to put a jacket on as it was cold), and T2 was apparently -23 seconds, so I think there is something wrong! Will have to wait till tomorrow to see the results on the internet to check. Pleased to have done it, but think I need to really work on eating and drinking on the bike if I am going to get round the outlaw half, nearly 4 times the distance on the bike and I am wibbling a bit

WhizKid    pirate
21/04/2013 at 16:52
Mathschick - you won't really need too eat on the bike until you get too/train for the half, a drink and a gel wil suffice for Olympic and you won't really even need the gel for less then that as it takes a bit of time for the body to absorb it... But for the half IM a decent nutrition strategy will be good I suggest looking into malt loaf ! And excellent work on your tri today!
21/04/2013 at 17:13

Woop Woop, top work Maths! Dodgy knee an' all! Just be reassured you're quicker than me without a dodgy knee! Dont wibble, you know what you have to do. Have no doubts you'll pull it off! 

21/04/2013 at 17:14
mathschick wrote (see)

first tri of the year for me, and wore my pirate kit for the first time in a race, got a few 'arghhhs' which was good

I took the swim pretty easy, 11mins, then the bike was ok, although I have to admit getting off on a really steep hill as I wasn't sure my knee would get me up it. The rest of the bike route was fairly flat, which I actually find a lot harder than an undulating route, but 24K in 1:04, then the run, well I ran a bit walked a bit as my knee was hurting, but did the 5k in 35 mins, which with having to walk half of it I was pleased with. Transition times, about 3 mins in T1 (had to put a jacket on as it was cold), and T2 was apparently -23 seconds, so I think there is something wrong! Will have to wait till tomorrow to see the results on the internet to check. Pleased to have done it, but think I need to really work on eating and drinking on the bike if I am going to get round the outlaw half, nearly 4 times the distance on the bike and I am wibbling a bit

That made me lol, gettin off your bike in a sprint tri and 35 mins for a 5k, my nan could walk it faster; you still on for the full ironman next year then not. If you really are injured, everybody on here would tell you to stop until recovered, else you will be off school again costing tax payers money in supply costs and affecting pupils learning. Need to take a reality check. Choose a manageable goal and stick to it, e.g.last year you said you would start park running but then you didn't.

21/04/2013 at 17:20

Good Lord Alex Duncan 3, you're a delight. Still slightly taken aback... 

21/04/2013 at 17:26

MrsD - not sure what his problem is he seems to just pick on me, and follows me from thread to thread insulting me. Maybe his virility is threatened by a woman who is probably fitter than him and can do maths too!! I have chosen just to ignore his stupid comments as he obviously knows nothing and has no social skills either

21/04/2013 at 17:34

It's very difficult to relay my thoughts here as I shouldn't swear. But, what a c**k! I'm really sorry Maths no one deserves that. Clearly little man syndrome or little p***s syndrome! 

21/04/2013 at 17:46

And here I was just thinking awesome work Mathschick - I second MrsD's description - some people are just twats - ignore him.  Aren't trolls a delight? 

21/04/2013 at 17:49

thanks guys 

21/04/2013 at 18:22

hey Mathschick, that was totally awesome.  Well done!

I did my first ever tri today, a novice 400m swim, 20K bike, 3K run...and finished it.  It was a bit of an odd one, the pool is up a hill and you have to run down some steps along an underpass and then in to transition.  I was clearly the slowest swimer so they put me in first with all the other slow coaches...who didn't turn up so I had the lane to myself!  The first problem was in a warm up length when my band snapped and my tag sank to the bottom of the deep end!  I went down to get it and stuck in my pocket.  I was feeling a bit sick and couldn't breath with nerves at the start but once I was in to the race I was fine, although the choppy waters were a problem and I was still slow, but quicker than I was in training.  Then out to the carpark to find my shoes and top and leg it down to the transition where a very nice lady reattached my tag to a new band and stuck in on my leg while I was putting my helmet on, I got the bike out and ran to the mount line and I was off.  It has a long long up hill section for about 12 K and me on my scruffy mountain bike was easily keeping up with the flash road bikes and then on the down hill section they left me for dead.  The running section is what I'm good at.  I soon over took some of the cyclists as we all struggled up hill, and as I was clearly looking good I was waved past my turning point at 1.5K and on to the 2.5K turn.  Oops.  My overall time was 1hr 27, with 11minute swim, 50minute bike and 23 minute 5k.  I'm pleased with my time.  I was aiming for under 1hr 20 and would have been about that if I'd only done 3k...now I need a road bike...but I did it.  A triathlon finisher.  Who'd have thought it?

21/04/2013 at 18:29

pete - that was excellent, well done brilliant times for a first tri, specially doing a longer run than you should have - how did that happen?

have you started looking for another one now? with a road bike you will smash that time, once I moved from my old hybrid to a road bike I noticed a massive difference

21/04/2013 at 18:40

Well done Mathschick and Pete in the hills.

Mathschick, I think I have the start of a dodgy knee, probably all the usual muscles on the right side tightening up too much, my back and hip ached when running this morning. I will treat myself to a sports massage for my birthday on Friday if possible.

I don't get to practice a tri until 2 weeks before Outlaw half, and I have yet ot get in some open water. PMA no wibbling allowed.

21/04/2013 at 18:44

Steady - I haven't been in OW this year yet either, don't think any of the ones near me are open yet. Hopefully with this warmer weather they will open soon so we can get some practice before the day! A sports massage sounds like a good idea

I am seeing the consultant for my mri results on Thursday, so will know exactly what is wrong and what they can do to sort it

WhizKid    pirate
21/04/2013 at 20:03
God I just read those previous comments what a douche..... Regardless of if someone runs a 15 minute 5 k or 1 hour 5k I hate people who douche on others for trying.... On the OW thing my lake opened yesterday for use.... It's about 8 degrees... It can wait a couple of weeks.... Sod that!
Dustboy    pirate
21/04/2013 at 20:18

A finish is a finish. Sod the time. Well done to both.

I'll run with either of you anytime.

21/04/2013 at 20:19

thanks for all the support, that''s what I love about this forum, and the pirates

21/04/2013 at 20:51

MC - I'm agree with the others, just ignore that guy.

WELL DONE TO MC and PETE sounds like some good racing despite the difficulties.

Anyone know how Cat got on?

Steady - hope your knee heals quick

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.