Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,461 to 8,480 of 15,639 messages
21/04/2013 at 21:10
Blimey I'm almost speechless..

Anyway -what I thought when I first read this: Mathschick - awesome time. I'm a bit nervous that when your knee is better you'll be someone else chasing me down

Good luck training!
21/04/2013 at 21:17

Chilli, I had a quick look at Cat's blog and he had only written up to this morning, so no race result.

MC, I can confirm that DB is nice, he is great at encouraging you to cycle up hills.

My niggle knee is definitely to do with the other muscles in the leg and hip, rather than a new injury, hopefully a rest tomorrow and it will be fine.

22/04/2013 at 07:24
mathschick wrote (see)

have you started looking for another one now? with a road bike you will smash that time, once I moved from my old hybrid to a road bike I noticed a massive difference

lol...the first thing I did when I got back was look at the next race in the series...but I need to get my swimming sorted.  And get a better bike.  And wait for my legs, knees and feet to stop hurting!

thanks to everyone for all your encouragement and advice.

22/04/2013 at 08:49

Well done Pete fantastic racing, have you got slicks on your MTB? Well worth doing in the intermin period before purchasing a new road bike.

Strength+Conditioning last night, hoping to up the weight this week but we shall see. Taking the MTB out to do hill reps this evening as I've got an adventure race over the may bank holiday.

Happy Monday everyone 

Rafiki    pirate
22/04/2013 at 10:13

I texted Cat this morning...he' seems happy with his result - but I'll leave it to him to tell you all about it! Don't want to steal his moment of glory (or otherwise?!?!?)

22/04/2013 at 11:59

Well done Maths and Pete, great results. First race of the season done and dusted for you two.

Everyone keeps mentioned CATs blog if he doesn't mind could someone please post a link?

Rafiki    pirate
22/04/2013 at 12:02

Here you go Ali - cat's blog

22/04/2013 at 12:08

I've checked out the results from Holland, speed I can only dream of!

IronCat5    pirate
22/04/2013 at 12:44
Thanks all. Report to follow, but 13th in age group and a shiny 5km PB!
Go Team GB!
22/04/2013 at 13:45

Get in there Cat... Smashed it! Can't wait for report! 
Congrats on your cherry popping Pete! Fantastic times, well done. Shame about your small detour! Bring on the next one! 
Steady, hope your knee sorts itself out.

We'll, I managed a 30min run last night and 19.5mile bike this morning... Beast of a headwind. Small amount of panic now welling. 

22/04/2013 at 14:14

Oo, forgot to mention that I fell off twice. One most painful! Left arm looks like been cheese grated.

WhizKid    pirate
22/04/2013 at 14:56
I hope the bike is ok mrsD!.... Hope your ok too headwinds are great fun arent they

Well done cat! What is your 5k time i tried too find it but the website is being poo
22/04/2013 at 17:16

Cat! WhooHooo! Go, go Team GB. Well done. Look forward to your race report.

Ouch! MrsD I hope you are okay.

Bike ride today. Not sure how far cos my bike computer is broken and I can't be bothered to figure it out any other way. About 13-15 miles. Shall run tomorrow, rest on Wed and then be ready for the Cambridge on Thursday.

22/04/2013 at 18:32

cat - brilliant, well done

MrsD, ouch. But what are you wibbling about?

just a masters swim for me today

22/04/2013 at 19:45

The bike is fine thanks Jamie... Would have been more of a rant otherwise! Was the first thing I checked though. Jamie have you come from a MTB background?
Good biking Chili. What's occurring at Cambridge lady?
Maths - the OW swim Sun was bad! Has really worried me. I know I'm gutsy and will plough through the bike and run. Just don't want the swim to throw me. Know it's my fault have not put the swimming in. What is Masters swim?

WhizKid    pirate
22/04/2013 at 20:30
Yep I'm originally a mountain biker, started off with XC done a lot of enduros a couple of 6 hours, 12 hour and a 24 hour races as well as a few point to point races, then took up downhill for a few years with my one claim too fame as racing one race as elite male, came like 30th out of 50 in elite but was happy with just qualifying! Here is a short video of one of the tracks I use too ride a lot.....http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jg_YpqxT7mQ sadly been torn down now and I sold that bike got a new one and snapped the swing arm on it... Now sits in my garage
22/04/2013 at 20:34

Yeah saw your name on you tube hence the ask. I have this feeling you're gonna beast this triathlon malarky also. What are your general aims within tri?

22/04/2013 at 20:49

MrsD: gravel rash sucky  today I almost ran into a guy who decided to do a u-ee in the middle of a steepish hill - he just looked at me like I was the one with the problem!  

Have been looking at events this week for June - if anyone isn't too busy this is on early in the month - down the road from mine if you are keen.  Distances for everyone - I have been over two thirds of the long course and there are some nice hills and flats - including some that got me up to 36mph last weekend!

http://www.itpevents.co.uk/events/the-hope-against-cancer-leicestershire-supertour.html

Run tomorrow 

Edited: 22/04/2013 at 20:51
22/04/2013 at 21:04

Mrs Digger, masters swim is the term used for a coached session for adults. Apparently masters can swiim up to the age of 100 in competitions.

I think I know the cause of the knee,hip and back niggle. The pilates I did last week included a lot of plies(think thats how you spell it)ballet move. Anyway it is a very similar action to the frog leg kick in breaststroke, and thats the one thing I have been told categorically not to do by an orthopaedic consultant many decades ago, due to the way my lower vertebrae are, so have sussed the cause, now just need to visit the osteopath to get put back right. Normal service will resume later this week, all I can do for now is some stretching.

IronCat5    pirate
22/04/2013 at 21:44

So back in blighty briefly - off to San Fran tomorrow

All of your S/B/R seems to be coming on well. Ignore the nay-sayers Maths!

So the long and the short of the European duthlon champs:

Run#1 Run course was like Parcour for the first lap until the field split up. ~260 people off at once through a start gate 10' wide - winter XC was good practice. 2 laps of 2.5km course

18m26s so a new 5km PB by 56s.

T1 was disasterous - 1m31s due to a small oversight on my part. Should have been ~45s.

Bike I thought I could make this up on the bike, but it was incredibly busy. 2 laps of the 10km course were very well observed by the draft-police and they were picking people up everywhere. It became a war of attrition; overtaking then pulling right in so the person behind had to drop back. Trying to take places on one of the 48 corners per lap. It was like a city centre criterium bike ride. Up on the base bars, down on the tri bars, up again, etc. There was a good long-sih flat section which gave me a chance to put down some power. Discussion with an Irish sparring-partner afterwards centred on his fantastic abillity to corner vs my straight line speed. 35m21

T2: 48s

Run#2 Only 2.8km. This is the 'real' distance (~2.5km), not the 5km last run we're used to in the UK. A 5km last run is long, but you have 3.5-4km left after the legs have warmed up. A shorter run left me with only 800m or so once my legs had kicked in. 10m49s.

All in for 1:06:53. 13th overall in age group.

The atmosphere was phenomenal. I'd not felt that scared or bouyed by atmosphere since Outlaw. All that was missing was some blacknyella. It was a privilege to race for GBR and every step was fantastic. Much like the pirates I met some great people and had a really good time. Still grinning

Edited: 22/04/2013 at 21:47
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.