Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,501 to 8,520 of 15,437 messages
24/04/2013 at 12:46

Everyone is doing lots of training which is ace.  I'm taking it easy this week, after the weekend race.  I might do an hour gentle turbo training tonight, I'll see how it goes.  My knees and ankles are a bit sore so I want to give them time to recover.

24/04/2013 at 12:52

Gosh, lots to read...

Well done to all the racers, top stuff! IronCat - brill times!!!

I was really busy both days at the weekend so no running. Felt really tired on Monday, Tuesday felt a cold coming on and today I'm at home in bed.  
Had planned a 17mile bike for yesterday as the weather was beautiful but not only did I miss that, also today's run. Rubbish!

24/04/2013 at 13:10

Hope you feel better soon Mikasa.

Club run hill reps last night 2 x 6 with a 3 min rest between reps, oh my days I nearly exploded!

Razor51    pirate
24/04/2013 at 17:53
Another run tonight, with H, an easy 9.26 pace
24/04/2013 at 17:57

I have been manipulated and massaged back into one piece. Instructions to maintain good posture for 24 hours and can go for a little jog on Friday and gentle swim on Saturday. No serious damage but no ballet style moves in pilates.

Get well soon Mikasa.

24/04/2013 at 21:06

Get better soon Mikasa!  Swam 1.6 km in an hour - wanted to see how far I could swim free style in an hour without stopping - now I know - onwards and upwards from here 

IronCat5    pirate
25/04/2013 at 06:55

Good sessions all round. I can just picture Steady on a big Harley! Probably not good for posture though.

Hope you're better already Mikasa.

Good swimming SuckiIt. That's a mile!

Nice and warm here in San Fran. Renting a nice road bike for the weekend, going to have a good look round. Full race report from the weekend on my blog. Most of you have seen the pictures already

25/04/2013 at 08:36

razor - yeah, love wearing the kit, got a few 'arghhh' during the tri on Sunday which was great

mikasa - hope you get better soon

25/04/2013 at 10:40

Mathschick are you in the East Midlands?  

25/04/2013 at 12:32

yes, near Nottingham - I am guessing you are somewhere in the East Midlands too?

been back to the consultant and haven't really decided whether it is good or bad really, no cartilege damage, just the back of the knee cap - osteo arthristis, he said they can't really do anything, surgery is useful for cartilege damage but not really for my problem, so he has told me to do lots of quad strengthening and is referring me to an NHS physio. So I am glad I don't need to have an op, but then, there is no easy fix either. Going to do loads of strengthening and try to build the running back up, He did agree with trying to run forefoot striking to reduce the impact on my joints

25/04/2013 at 13:44

Well at least you know what you need to do to fix it or at least improve the situation - that's got to be a good thing!  

And yeah I am near Loughborough  for my sins - we may have to get out on the bikes at some point - am thinking about a bike up to the Outlaw bike section and home around 80miles for me, but that wont be till after the Tour of the National Forest.

25/04/2013 at 18:01

buttercup - when is that? I'm not up to that distance yet, but obviously wouldn't be doing the Loughborough/nottingham bit which would cut the mileage for me. Mind you, my weekly mileage is mounting up nicely with the commutes! Hopefully using my mountain bike for the commute is going to make me more powerful on the road bike too, or at least the road bike will feel easier

25/04/2013 at 20:34

Well, 700m swum. All FC. Will go again in the morning. Having had a look at last year's results for the tri I'm doing. It is clear I will be a solid last. BUT.... I can only improve from there!

25/04/2013 at 20:38

nothing wrong with being last MrsD and anyway, you will beat all the people that never entered in the first place

25/04/2013 at 20:42

National Forest is 5th of May - I signed up for the 160 km option when I registered  I shall let you know how that one goes!  I'm planning to ride out around 120km of it on Sunday following vaguely the same roads - and getting my nutrition right.  My almost metric century last week was hampered by my not taking out enough gels/food with me to get over the hills and neglecting to stash some moneys on my person so I could buy something along the way.  Silly mistake - I know better!

I do about 40miles normally on my weekly commute so it definitely is a way to get some volume in! Re the Outlaw ride Maybe mid to the end of May?

Mrs D: You are in the mix and that's all that matters! Give it your best - no one can ask for more than that 

Edited: 25/04/2013 at 20:50
25/04/2013 at 20:44

absolutely right! Have also managed to get signed up for a novice event in June. I very seriously crumple under peer pressure. 

25/04/2013 at 20:47

Oh Maths sorry for hear about your osteoarthritis. do you take glucosamine and chondrotin or anything? 

IronCat5    pirate
26/04/2013 at 04:14

Evening all!

Have rented a road bike here - an ex-team Spesh Tarmac. I'm sure even the tyres are carbon And we have an enforced late start tomorrow at work Looking forward to my first ever cycle commute.

MrsD - you'll be fine. Maths - what is the long term prognosis?

26/04/2013 at 17:51

cat - that sounds like a nice bike

MrsD - what event are you doing? I seem to be losing track of everything (because I am just mega busy at work etc I think)

cat - hmmm, didn't think to ask that one! I'll see how it all goes I think and go back to the gp if things don't improve

commuted to work again today, there is always a damn headwind on the way in, but I reckon it must be a good tailwind as part of the way back I have done a good few miles at a steady 22mph and that is on a mountain bike! Feels nice

26/04/2013 at 17:57

I have run, well a little trot around the pond to be more precise, that way I could have a cream cake.

5 mile mixed terrain race on Sunday, hope that it goes better than my effort today.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.