Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,521 to 8,540 of 15,886 messages
26/04/2013 at 17:58

buttercup - I have a tri on the 5th so won't be tempted to join you for the National Forest! Mid to end of May might be good for the outlaw route - although I am doing the outlaw half on 2nd June so not too close - need to do some kind of taper!

Razor51    pirate
26/04/2013 at 19:17

30  miles on the bike in the sunshine but had strong winds al

l the way, followed up with a 3.5 mile run, legs felt like rubber for the first mile but still managed 9.40 pace so happy with that

Edited: 26/04/2013 at 19:18
26/04/2013 at 21:37

Hi I'm home! We made it. Was so much fun

Yesterday the sky was cloudless, sun shone whole time and hubby and I had a fantastic ride. Got a bit lost but didn't matter. It was amazing. Competed the 50 miles to Cambridge by mid afternoon and were in pretty good shape. Stayed in a very friendly B&B.

Set out a bit later this morning and had sun, rain, wind and hail on the way home. Got a bit lost again and (whilst following the correct route) somehow ended up cycling along a stream. So had to find a different way. Arrived home late this afternoon. Very tired and a rather sore bum. But very, very happy. Had a really wonderful time.

Hubby can't run and walks extremely slowly, but we can cycle together . I rode my lovely Raleigh hybrid with 24 gears (but never use that many). Hubby rode is Velorbis sit-up-and-beg bike with 3 gears.

Sounds like lots of good training going on. It's so much nicer/easier when the weather warms up a bit.

MC - so sorry to hear about your knee - sounds very ouch

Cat enjoy your cycle commute. You would have laughed at me these last two days - i had a cheshire grin the whole way to Cambridge and back lol

IronCat5    pirate
27/04/2013 at 03:36

Mmmmm, cream cakes. Nice trot Steady.

Razor going from strength to strength again.

I cycled 10km there, showered and then cycleg back to the hotel in the evening,. Dumped my bag then for an explore. Just got back in. Loved every minute of it.

Sounds like a good adventure Chili! Glad you enjoyed it and kept grinning!

27/04/2013 at 08:08

chili - well done

cat - on the other side of the golden bridge there is a lovely state park (can't remember  what it is called) but you really don't feel like you are near a major city it is beautiful

spinning then a run on the treadmill this morning then the 5k swimmathon this afternoon. I sensibly decided not to go to the masters swim this morning!

27/04/2013 at 11:59

Chili that sounds like a cool way to spend a couple of days. Glad went well, even with random weather! 
Oo ark at u with ur fancy bike Mr Cat. Is it getting the 'shopping' part of your brain engaged? 
Mmm cake!
Maths - you're doing well with your commute. I mentioned the glucosamine as known to help with osteoarthritis. They've just recommended I start taking it. Oo good luck with the swimathon by the way! 
I'm doing the Cotswold Supersprint on May 12th. Very nervous now. 
Razor keeps giving it large... !!!!!

27/04/2013 at 12:00

Oh, does it may me a complete girl if... I look out of the window and notice its blowing a gale. Therefore, decide to run instead of bike?

27/04/2013 at 12:25

Mrs D consider me a girl too - went for a run today instead of a bike altho' tbf I was planning for Sunday to be my bike day.  I have been keeping an eye on the weather reports but the weather here can't make its mind up so decided to go for the run and do the bike tomorrow!

Chili your trip sounded awesome!

Maths:  I have been eyeing the Nottingham big swim which I think takes place the day before the Outlaw... 

My run today was 12.5 km of which I ran about 11.0 - and I ran 10km of that without stopping!! First time I have ever ran 10km at all - let alone without stopping  I got to about 8.5 and realised that I wasn't really tired I still had juice in my legs so I decided to run to 10 to see if I could.  Then my brain had a mini moment processing the fact that I had run that far so I stopped and walked for a bit then it started to spit and I had no desire to be soaked to the bone so ran the rest of the way home!

But then I got home and realised I was a bit of a numpty and had only taken one key out with me running  so found a bit of shelter on the steps and waited for husband to get home 

27/04/2013 at 12:33

buttercup - I am planning on helping man the pirate feed station at outlaw and hoping I get a free entry to the big swim - I think they did last year

MrsD - I am going to take glucosamine, although it is pricey and the drs said there is no evidence it acutally does anything

Dustboy    pirate
27/04/2013 at 12:35

Hmm, 20 mile bike Thursday after work and a somewhat leaden parkrun this morning. So far, everything is still ticking and I feel pretty good on it, couple of minor pings from the old ticker but it has done that for years.

Signed up for Shinfield 10k next bank hols so let's see what happens.  

27/04/2013 at 12:45

Chili - nice ride, glad you both enjoyed it.

Razor - good progress.

Buttercup - well done on your run.

Maths - hope your swimathong goes well.

Unfortunately, I'm still ill. Last run Monday,nothing since. Need to remember to take it easy next week.

27/04/2013 at 13:06

I have swum, bought a tent for Outlaw, am doing housework, then have a nice rest before 5 mile race tomorrow.  Hope to be able to run the whole lot.

27/04/2013 at 18:53

Mikasa - sorry to hear you are feeling so rough.

DB - lovely to hear your progress. Please take care of yourself.

Bit tired today but not aching. Didn't bother with parkrun though. Took my No.2 daughter to get her free trainers from Sweatshop. True to form she chose the most expensive pair in the shop!

27/04/2013 at 20:34

mikasa - don't start training till you are properly recovered or you'll just make it worse, take care

steady - good luck for tomorrow

did the 5k swim in 2:19:16 and kept the pace consistent throughout which was good. Shoulder started hurting with 15 lengths to go, was determined to finish but might need to skip swimming for a couple of days. 

27/04/2013 at 20:43

Maths - well done on your 5k swim!!

Thanks guys, finally starting to feel bit better but will leave running till middle of next week or so. my big mistake was goig to work on Thursday after taking a day off on Wednesday. Really don't know what I was thinking and was off Friday again.

27/04/2013 at 20:45

Good work Mathschick!  5km in the pool is a long way - rest day tomorrow?

Steady - have a good one tomorrow - hope the weather holds out for your race 

27/04/2013 at 21:03

buttercup - had planned to get up early and have a long bike ride - not so sure now! may just see what time I wake up and do whatever I feel like doing even if it is nothing!

Dustboy    pirate
27/04/2013 at 22:16

I have decided this is a really good support thread for those of us who are doing short stuff at the moment.

27/04/2013 at 22:26

Of course it is the best place for shorter tri support, DB.

Maths- well done on the 5k swim. The furthest I have done is 3.8k at Outlaw.

Running kit is ready for the morning, have to wear club colours not pirate ones.

IronCat5    pirate
28/04/2013 at 06:20

It really is. And shorter tri is where it is at. Though I must say my training hours are the same as when I was doing IM

Though this is also the thread where people are doing 5km swims . I guess shorter tri is HIM? Well done Maths. Re: the shopulder pain - see how it goes, you might find a light swim or some backstroke helps. Or loads of ibruprofen.

Well done to those that parkran (sp?) today, or yesterday (still Saturday here) - DB

Good luck for the race Steady. I guess you're already up and about.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.