Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,541 to 8,560 of 15,504 messages
28/04/2013 at 08:57

cat - allergic to ibuprofen, going to skip the tri club swim tonight and I'll see how it is tomorrow, don't want to look a wally at the masters session by having to get out if it is hurting. Mind you, they are all nice there so no-one would mind and I guess most of them would understand totally!

DB - this a great place for support for short tris. I am doing some sprints this year and the outlaw half, although I am getting worried about the bike part. Was hoping to get out on the bike route this morning but am shattered and having a rest day instead. That swim has made me ache all over! MInd you, does give me confidence that the HIM swim will be a doddle, ok, I am not fast but I can swim at a constant pace for a long time, and a year ago I couldn't swim front crawl at all, and it would put me at an IM swim of 1:46 which is within the cutoff I think. A year ago when I first started doing tri this thread was brilliant support and I got loads of brilliant advice here

Dustboy    pirate
28/04/2013 at 13:10

My IM swim is 1.45 ish. Quite a nice leisurely pace and far from the last one. Cutoff is 2.15.I reckon training would get me to 1.20-1.25 but 1.45 is fast enough for me and I doubt I woudl race more than 1500 now. Which, incidentally, is a lovely distance. 

28/04/2013 at 15:28

Legs are a little stiff today - went for a ride anyway only 49km tho' really wasn't feeling the love  got up to 40mph coming into Woodhouse Eaves had planned to do longer but came home instead.  Realised today that I have individually done the distances for an Olympic Tri - feeling good about that.

28/04/2013 at 17:01

I have ran. I now ache.

The weather was lovely but the sun came out and made it slightly too warm for a little while. I ran the first 2 miles then struggled had a tiny walk then got back to running again, kept the pace a steady plod.
Kept moaning to myself that I hated running and my legs didnot feel as if they belonged to me. The race starts at a track so one lap and out onto quiet back roads and parkland then retrace the last mile and a half, finish with a lap of the track. Bounced onto the track and knew I could do it.
Finish time 1:08 which is a rather slow plod and 6 minutes slower than last year, a further 6 minutes slower than the year before that. When I looked up my best time for that race is was exactly 10 years ago I did it in 52 minutes, age must be catching me up or I really do need to put more effort in to this running lark.

Having spoken with Happychap, my run strategy is going to be run/walk, might try run 1 miile and walk 1 minute that will be the best thing for the run part of Outlaw Half as there is not enough time to get my distance up for running all of it.

Well done SuckitupButterCup, I know its a great confidence boost when you know you can do the distance in each discipline, my 48 miles on the bike last week has given me confidence for Outlaw Half.

IronCat5    pirate
28/04/2013 at 17:44

Nice race Steady. Good ride SuckitUp.

Maths instead of ibru you'll have to brush your teeth with Deep Heat

Don't forget the IM cutoff (2:15 or 2:20) is the time you need to be OUT of T1. I'm sure at Outlaw last year they threw a guy's bag and bike out of T1 for him as he was so close. Reminder - ON THE BIKE BY CUTOFF.

28/04/2013 at 17:52

I remember wibbling over the cutoff for the swim last year, look what happened 1:43 on the day no problem.
I had a plan A which was out of the water by 2:00, plan B out in 1:55 good, and plan C 1:50 over the moon.

28/04/2013 at 18:45

5k swim! Crazy stuff, swimming 400m is a mountain for me at the moment.

Cracking race Steady, and lots of awesome training being done, plus it sounds like your Cambridge ride was lovely Chili.

This last week I've done alot of mountain biking and running, orienteering event yday covered 10k in 71 mins, my route choice went astray a number of times and I ended up having to clamber up a really steep bank, first time I'd done a harder course so hopefully I'll keep improving.

Made a map board this afternoon and made the final adjustments to my MTB for the adventure race next weekend. Excited!

28/04/2013 at 19:07

steady - well done today, ecoseal - well done to you too on the orienteering, we went badly wrong on a course during the easter holidays, we all ended up arguing over the map, which was so out of date the features were nothing like they really were, and we had kind of got the scale wrong!

steady -sounds like you are better prepared than I am for outlaw half, I was hoping to do a 3 hour ride today, but the swim just whacked me out and I needed a total rest day. So, next Monday with it being bank holiday I will go for a 3 hour ride, test out some eating on the bike and see how far I can get

Razor51    pirate
28/04/2013 at 19:21

DB.... its also a good thread for us going long this year  its where we all started so its nice to be in friendly company,

I ran 9 miles this morning down the banks of the River Irwell, legs are knackered now but hey ho its more miles in the bank....  

Dustboy    pirate
28/04/2013 at 20:19

I've been long, TBH I don't really enjoy the build up and that soooo much of your life rests on 1 day. Although it's still an itch, it will have to remain unscratched almost certainly, but I suppose you never know.

On the flip, I enjoy the sprints so much more and my first Oly last year was a really nice distance.

And going short hasn't hurt Cat5 much so far!

28/04/2013 at 20:36

Ok, so 3mile run last night. Last mile pegged it to see my top heart rate. Clocked at 188. Can now accurately calculate heart rate zones. Bike tonight,should have been 15mile but chickened out after 8.5 as almost blown off the bike a couple of times. Turned into mini brick. Off to bed. 

Hurrah to all those who swimathoned - most impressed. It will come Eco! 

Loving the support this thread gives. Re-motivated me back on track! Have a good week all! 

28/04/2013 at 21:00

well done MrsD, I find cycling in a strong wind really scary when it blows me sideways into the middle of the road!

28/04/2013 at 21:57

Maths, I reckon a few more 3 hour rides with nutrition practise will do wonders. I had stomach issues after mine plus like you very tired.

I had an email to tell me that my local lake is open for a 400m loop and is about the same temperature as last year. So looks like OW is next weekend.

I have run today, but why do my arms ache so much? Oh well maybe its delayed ache from yesterdays swim, thank goodness Mondays are rest days.

28/04/2013 at 23:17

Of course this is the best thread!

Wow, it sounds like everyone has had a great weekend! I feel very lazy having done nothing for two days Will get back to running tomorrow.

Ecoseal - your MTB event sounds fun. Would like to introduce my girls to orienteering at some point.

Cat - how come you are doing same hours as last year when you did the Outlaw? How do your training plans compare? And how are you fitting it round work/family life? I'm just curious cos I know you work/travel/family and I am always trying to figure out how I could fit more into my day.

IronCat5    pirate
29/04/2013 at 04:23
Dustboy wrote (see)
And going short hasn't hurt Cat5 much so far!

Unless you count the calf strain and achilles problems that have reduced my running time recently. Still haven't run since last weekend.

Chili - so pre-taper and recent run-break I was doing about 9 hours a week.Wasn't intentional, it had crept up to that point and felt OK:

0:30 recovery turbo
2 x 1 hr threshold turbo
1:15 track run session
1 hr tempo run1:30 long run
2:30+ hr long bike
1 hr swim

I'd dropped the swimming the week after to concentrate on the duathlon, though it's back on the agenda now, as the qualifiers for 2014 tri Euro champs are in a few weeks.

Recovery turbo was often done at lunch so I could swim at night. Tue & Thur threshold bike rides are done on the turbo so that I'm home in the evening. Wednesday is track night. Friday run is lunch time, leaving the evening free for swimming if needed.

If I travel then I adjust my schedule to fit things in, and I can use the time better - e.g. evening gym bike followed by morning run.

I wouldn't say I have a training plan, just making it up as I go along, though in a scientific way. Do, Measure, Review, Do, etc.
Last October I consulted some coaches with respect to my goals and then made the decision to focus running purely on reducing my 5km time. A weekly track session and tempo runs and a longer run have helped, and I 've knocked 2mins from my 5km time in that period. Parkruns have been useful too.
Bike has been focussed on threshold and time trialling - the idea being that I'm all about the 20km bike in a sprint du or tri.

What has let me down recently is the lack of running, and therefore running off the bike has suffered. Once achilles is better I'll ramp this up gently.

Basically I know what I need to do, and stitch it together on a daily basis.

Though I had last week off, other than a bike commute on Friday. I swam with a local tri club at an outside pool (~30 degree heat) today, then rode with them this afternoon. I had dreams of doing a huge ride today but it was way too hot. Face and legs are warm to touch now. Wore white arm warmers tp protect my arms.

Razor51    pirate
29/04/2013 at 10:15

DB, leave the itch alone mate and concentrate on your olly's and sprints,    ;)

Edited: 29/04/2013 at 10:16
29/04/2013 at 16:24

after a whole week off recovering from the tri, I did a slow 10K at lunch time.  2 minutes slower than usual.  It feels good to be doing some exercise again and I've signed up to the local 10K in a couple of weeks.

I'm doing a canoing trip with over night camping somewhere near Stirling next weekend.  That's southern Scotland and I was thinking of doing some open water swimming until I saw the forecast...the friday is 6° with it peaking at 10° on the saturday....too cold for open water...

29/04/2013 at 17:24

evening all

I think the place where I went OW swimming last year is opening next Tuesday. I think I need to have a bit of a recovery week, specially with a tri on Sunday and needing to get a long bike ride in on Monday, so will only ride to work once this week, just trying to figure out which would be the best day to fit in with all the other stuff I have on this week - meetings after school every day and then the kids and other mundane stuff. I don't want to be so tired that the weekend is a washout. 

When I think about IM I really wonder how I would fit it in, when I am finding it difficult at the moment. 

29/04/2013 at 18:12

Is that Six Hills Mathschick?  I dont have a wet suit so being able to hire one there is appealing   My bike to work was a bit slower than last week but bike home I had a faster average speed - I assume that's just my legs getting back on track It might be a quiet week for me too with the sportive on Sunday.

29/04/2013 at 19:23

buttercup - yep, six hills, fairly nice set up, although last year the weeds were just too much by the middle of the summer - it was almost impossible to get through them it was horrible. There is a warm shower and a cafe where you can get a hot drink after which is nice. Fancy meeting up there? I am thinking the Tuesday evenings would probably be best for me, Saturdays I could make but I have masters swimming on a saturday, OW followed by masters may be a little too much for one morning!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.