Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,601 to 8,620 of 17,561 messages
07/05/2013 at 17:46

(((mathschick)))  Cheers, your help is much appreciated

Cake wrote (see)
The Dawn Shadow wrote (see)

(((Cake))) Cheers mate, excellent to have you back, definitely looking forward to seeing you guys Sunday morning.  Good news is I have almost no other daft questions.

Dude no such thing as a daft question only stupid answers. 

Thanks Cake, although I suspect I may have pushed at the boundaries of that saying.   I think I'll be okay on the day though, just glacially slow in the pool.

Cortina5    pirate
07/05/2013 at 17:49

Dawn Shadow - it's a question that can bother all of us at some point.

When bikes are pouring out of transition on to a very cramped city-centre course I asked myself the same question. It needs to be done on a common-sense basis.

07/05/2013 at 17:55

Thanks Cat, that's good - I can deal with that.

07/05/2013 at 17:58

Completely off topic but has anyone done The Hever Castle Olympic distance tri? What did you think of it if you did?

07/05/2013 at 17:58

Cake, hope you're better now, you have been missed. Think I still owe you a drink as I nicked some of your beer at Outlaw last year.

MC, tough call, but sure OH will be OK if you nip out for a bit of training so long as he has your undivided attention after. I understand what you mean I felt exactly the same when Mr Steady got his new job.

DS sensible question, the sprint tri I am doing at the weekend has a pinch point called a traffic calming measure in a village. They put a marshall in place to check everyone sticks to highway code and also have a video cam, so if there is any long delays they take time off your overall time to allow for it. Any groups of riders just string out as soon as poss after it.

I will staying over at HPP on the Sunday night for certain now. Eek, its getting closer.

07/05/2013 at 18:13

Cheers Steady, good luck at the weekend with yours.

07/05/2013 at 18:23

well, he isn't home yet and it is at least 30 mins drive to get there so guess there is no decision - by the time he gets home it will be too late anyway to get there, get changed and swim. oh well

07/05/2013 at 18:24

Steady CJ are you doing the East Grinstead tri? It's my first ever tri and I am terrified!

Cortina5    pirate
07/05/2013 at 18:31
SuckitupButterCup wrote (see)

Completely off topic but has anyone done The Hever Castle Olympic distance tri? What did you think of it if you did?

I recalll some controversey over the swim. Can't remember what; but likely cleanliness or temperature.

07/05/2013 at 20:19

looks like staying home was the right call, OH not very happy or positive after his first day

07/05/2013 at 20:39

MC oh dear...

Cake! Lovely to have you back with us

DS - Hope you have a great time with your first tri. We always look forward to the indepth race reports.

Bit of a cycle then a long swim.

Cortina5    pirate
07/05/2013 at 21:19

Uh oh MC!

Welcome back Cake! Good to see you again.

Just back from a chaingang with the tri club. Brilliant fun!

SuckItUp - re: the bottles, the Speedfil holds ~1.5 litres, and I had 2 cages on the back. One for spares etc and another one I used as a buffer - picked up a bottle at a station then used it to fill the Speedfil.

The Speedfil itself goes in the dishwasher, but the hose I handwashed to ensure it was clean.

I don't use any hydration during sprints:

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/553795/gallery/944228_10151393466727441_847289207_n.jpg?width=350

07/05/2013 at 22:35

EmmaC, yes East Grinstead, starting at around 9.00am. Are you doing the sprint or the tri -a-tri?
I will be wearing pirate colours and hope to be able to run the run section, b*&**dy hip is giving me pains again. I was hoping to get a reasonable amount of training done on Saturday and just have to treat the tri as a training session.

MC, oh dear, hopefully it will get better.

Regarding Hever castle tri, I think one year there was problem as water level was very low and quality not good. Think it is a lumpy ride.

07/05/2013 at 22:50

I've decided to go straight in to the sprint! Worried I will actually be last over finish line!

I'll be in a black basic orca tri suit ( really bad idea after two children and six months over eating) haven't worn it before so slightly worried about chafing and unsightly ness of my body in said outfit!

Wow - Sunday as training- I think I'm woefully ill prepared but it's my first event so a guaranteed pb. Some lovely looking bikes being posted. There were several TT bikes at the duathlon I did in march - I felt like a real plum with my hybrid and lack of any cycling kit!

07/05/2013 at 22:50

Sorry to hear that MC - early days yet.

07/05/2013 at 22:56

Emma, you will be fine, what is your start time? I will probably get there early, so will look out for you. There will be a huge variety of bikes there. Quite a few newbies use hybrid bikes, I started out using my hybrid for a few years.
I don't think yellow and black is a good look on my middle aged body, but as everyone wears lycra, no one looks out of place. You can not be last over the line.

Which duathlon did you do? I am training for HIM, so need to keep up the training that is why the sprint will be a get round practice rather than an all out effort. but hoping to be a tiny bit faster than last year.

08/05/2013 at 06:46
Chilibean wrote (see)
DS - Hope you have a great time with your first tri. We always look forward to the indepth race reports.

Thanks Chilibean

08/05/2013 at 07:43

I am hoping that he will settle in, I think he expected to walk in and be able to do everything and know everything straight away, feels like a failure because it is different and things are done differently to where he was before. Also, there is no sick pay, just statutory sick pay, and although he is hardly ever ill, it is not very good in terms of terms and conditions of employment! If he can settle in and build up his confidence he can then look for somewhere with better contract conditions!

Had a nice little run this morning and hardly walked at all which is good.  Off to the gym this afternoon to do some strength work while one of the kids is at swimming lesson and the other with my parents.

08/05/2013 at 08:05

Good juggling with the little people MC - I'm trying to work on a plan to swim whilst my boys have lessons but quite a tricky logistical problem really. At the moment hubby is taking it a bot easy after the marathon and hasn't set his next target so I am taking the opportunity to train in the evenings. Starting a new job at a new company even if it is the same job title is always difficult.

Steady CJ - I am starting at 9.26 so really worried that I have been over optimistic with my swim time and will end up getting swum over by a load of adrenaline fuelled men! Then as I am completely rubbish at cycling and this will be my second ever attempt at this distance they will all shoot past me and I'll be left plodding around East Grinstead on my own for the 2 laps! Must remember this is my first tri!!!

08/05/2013 at 08:16

emma - is it a pool tri? Just enjoy it and don't worry. Even if you are last, who cares? You will get loads of support, there will be lots of other first timers there too with exactly the same worries as you. Just go along, have some fun and don't worry about how long it all takes

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.