Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,601 to 8,620 of 15,498 messages
03/05/2013 at 22:44

I did a run today, my Garmin told me I had a heart rate of between 193 and 234 for 7 whole minutes starting at 4 minutes into the run, I think I need to get hold of some of that gel stuff as I did not have a problem with the contacts in the colder weather. I got spurious readings at the start of my last 3-4 runs.
Oh and I forgot to change the setting so it thought I was doing a very slow off road bike ride.

Dustboy    pirate
03/05/2013 at 23:54

Oops, forgot about that, nailing six miles up and down the canal probably wasn't the best thing to do today then.... Frankly, it's just good to be able to flex a little again!

04/05/2013 at 11:46

Good cycling Steady, hope the swim goes well. Oh and the Garmin sorts itself out. 
Chili, that sounds like a top bike out. Chips included.
DB - been told! 

Well, did a recce of course for next weekend. 12mile bike and 1.5mile run after. All flat and very picturesque. Pirate top had its first outing!

04/05/2013 at 11:53

Top training everyone, Steady, I find a bit of vaseline helps with HR contacts.

Good luck to anyone racing this weekend.

I'm about to leave to head to the Shropshire hills for my adventure race tomorrow, so unbelievably excited

04/05/2013 at 12:06

Good luck EcoSeal!  I hope the weather holds out - it's been raining on and off here - but is meant to clear up for my sportive tomorrow and my new shorts turned up just in time too!

05/05/2013 at 09:45

I have done my first OW swim of the year. The water was OMG its cold, apparently last week the water was "fff*****ing freezing. 800m done.  Onwards and upwards.

05/05/2013 at 10:14

Well braved Steady, can only get warmer I suppose. Off for a 30min pootle then work.  At least have tomorrow off. 4 day week - Woop Woop! Xxx

05/05/2013 at 11:14

well done steady

just finished Southwell tri, horrible headwind on the the first part of the bike and I was wondering why I do this, but finished in a brilliant time of 1:33:22, everything apart from the run was quicker than last time, and I have an excuse for the run, oh and as I was sprinting up to the finish the pirates got a special mention as I was in the black and yellow (and the tri I did today is run by the same people that do outlaw). OH came and took some pictures so I'll make him put them on the computer later and see if I can manage to post one

off out for lunch with OH seeing as kids are still away at scout camp happy days

05/05/2013 at 16:10

Any suggestions for what I should be doing in the week before my first sprint Tri?

Did a final brick bike/run session today which is probably hillier and tougher than the actual race (Wilmslow). Planning on a couple of light swimming sessions focussing on smooth technique, with a gentle run and gentle bike session through the week. 

05/05/2013 at 16:17

Hallam - what you have planned sounds about right to me, you need to keep up some light training without wearing yourself out for the big day

which one are you doing?

05/05/2013 at 18:15

Wilmslow. I love first events - guaranteed PB. I just get the feeling that it won't be the last. 

05/05/2013 at 18:33

Rock it out Mathschick!! Am feeling quite shattered after the ride which turned out to be a bit longer than expected due to signs disappearing - but I finished it and I now know I can do it.  

Also if anyone has any ambitions for IM Wales next year - if you want a very hilly ride that was it the hills were insane and it was just one after another - completely knackered me.  Mental toughness and sheer stubborness won on the day and I wasn't last so I'm happy.

Razor51    pirate
05/05/2013 at 19:04

DIY Half IM distance Macclesfield,

Arrived at SA's place at 8.45 to what looked like a pro event, there were bikes, trainers, water bottles and people stripping off, more evident was the sea of black and yella that covered his driveway and garden, " the Pirates had invaded Macclefield". 

After lots of introductions( too many too mention cos I can't remember all their names) we all mounted our bikes for the mile ride to the leisure centre, Marshallini's pulled a load of rackingout of the back of his car ( don't know where he got it from but it made look very professional  

Into the pool we went, 5 to a lane and we went, got bashed quite a few times when I was being overtaken  1.2mile swim don in 43 mins, happy with that, cam me out of the pool only to find it had been chucking it down with rain so it left the roads really wet so had too take care on the bike cornering, so off we went Horse and me( we decided to stick together) , we had 12 laps to complete which we were told it was undulating, to say the course was tough would be an understatement, there was a tough climb only short but steep and the rest was long drag after long drag,I felt really good so decided to stay in the big ring for the first 4 laps, big mistake ( More on that later) we churned out the laps and took all .

the abuse from Slagait and Button Mushroom on the feed station ( 12 times) bike done in 4 hrs including 10 min T1.

Into T2 and full change and off we went for 4 laps on the run, , slight alteration to last years course , turn right then left, oh shit a tough uphill and the legs were still trying to recover from the bike, I was running ( or should I say shuffling) like a penguin, so steadily got to running when the legs came back ave 10.40 ish min/ mile and on to lap 2, turned the corner and started up the hill, argh my quads started to seize up ( the result of staying in the big ring on the bike, dickhead) had to walk for a couple of mins then got going again, this was a patten that was to continue throughout the Remaining laps to the finish. We wre greeted by a wall of black and yella all cheering me and Horse home, a big thanks to Horse who ran with me to the end ( this seems to be coming a habit). Run finished 2.36

With transitions finished in 7.30 well knackered but loved it, my nutrition was spot on a with no stomach problems.

A great big thanks to SA, Mrs SA, Jordy, grandma and grandpa SA for all there efforts to make this a brilliant day and thanks to everyone else marshalling and on the feed stations, too numerous e to mention, I hope everyone doing it today had a great time.

The way this event has grown over the last 2 years is amazing, if more pirates decide to do this next year I think we will have to commandeer the whole pool.  

This wasn't a little swim, a bit of a bike and a doddle of a run, this was a tough course that needed your all throughout, there were a few who didn't complete it either through choice or DNF but a great event organized by some great people's , thanks again guys

Edited: 05/05/2013 at 19:23
The Silent Assassin    pirate
05/05/2013 at 19:23

05/05/2013 at 20:26

razor - sounds like you had a great time - well done, and well done SA for organising it. 

IronCat5    pirate
05/05/2013 at 21:08

Nice one Razor, and the SAs of course.

05/05/2013 at 21:58

Nice one Razor, I couldn't do it as Mr Steady's birthday was a priority.

I have put up my new tent, its a lot bigger than I really need, but at least I can stand upright to get dressed so race morning and the next morning will be so much more comfortable.

Hoping to sneak a little bike ride in tomorrow morning, before we go out for lunch.

06/05/2013 at 08:05

Good work Razor! and organisers!  Quiet day for me today - husband is making blueberry pancakes for brekkie before he heads out on his ride - nom!

06/05/2013 at 09:12

morning all

headed out intending to go for a 3 hour ride, but after about 15 mins was mentally not in a good place, still can't pluck up the courage to try to drink while I am moving, all the negative thoughts entering my head telling me I am rubbish at getting up hills, rubbish at going down them, etc etc. Having major second thoughts about outlaw half. Did 18 miles in 1:30, so only averaging 12mph. 

Need to sort my head out, so having the rest of the day for tidying house, sorting out kids - we pick them up from scout camp later and they will be tired and grumpy, OH is nervous as he starts his new job tomorrow.

Think plan is going to be to get some early morning rides in this week up the hilly bits, then next weekend try to do 40 miles minimum and see how it goes. 

06/05/2013 at 10:07

I'm free next weekend if you want to do some hills with me  I now know where they all are! Also do you have two bottle holders?  I always find getting the one that sits on the diagonol easier to get out than the other one when I'm on the move.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.