Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,621 to 8,640 of 15,341 messages
06/05/2013 at 13:33

buttercup - yes, I have two bottle holders, it is just getting the nerve to try to take the bottle out that I lack!! Anyway, have dropped the bike off for a service so am without bike for a day or two. It had started making a bit of a squeaky noise and was overdue a service anyway. Maybe it will be easier to ride when it comes back. Think it is more of a mental block anyway, I seemed to set off thinking 'why am I getting up at 6 to go out and spend 3 hours on a bike, don't want to, why don't I just stay in bed like normal people....' I'll get over it!

driving to camp to get the kids was awful - so much traffic everywhere better get the washing machine on the kids in the bath before they fall asleep!

06/05/2013 at 14:19

Some days it just doesn't happen Maths. Shake it off and refocus. Don't envy you on the roads today. 
Sounds like the DIY was excellent... Good work Razor! 
Congrats to all that have competed and been fabulous! My turn next weekend - very excited.15mile bike this morning, it was a cyclist - fest. Tapering from now. 
Buttercup you do put me to shame! 

06/05/2013 at 14:36

Wow! Razor, that sounds amazing! You must be feeling very encouraged for the Outlaw in July.

MC - We all have rough days, hope you enjoy the sunshine, don't murder your lads, and feel happier soon. (Sending hugs cos I know how it feels)

I led my team from chuch (The Rosedale Runners) at Radlett Rotary Run 1.5k & 5k this morning. A mixed age group team from 6yrs - 74yrs (walking). And my Big Girl (aged 10) came first in the 1.5k! This is her second win at this event. Next year she will be too old so she is really thrilled.

And my team did great. One of my teenage lads (14) ran for the third year and did a fantastic PB of 19 mins.

06/05/2013 at 15:29

chili - well done to everyone this morning, specially your big girl

just bumped into a friend who is doing the full outlaw this year and was talking to him about the bike and drinking on the bike, he has suggested building up to it, so cycling one handed, then touching the bottle but not taking it out, then taking it out, stopping the bike, putting it back, etc....so when I get the bike back from the service place I will have a go

06/05/2013 at 15:35

or get one of those speedfill type things - anyone got any suggestions on the speedfill type things?

06/05/2013 at 17:20

Hey all,

Razor, fantastic effort

Maths, have you considered a double bottle holder that mounts onto your seatpost so rather than bending down and taking your eyes off the road you just reach behind you?

So yesterday I took part in the Open 5 adventure race, you get five hours to collect as many points as possible by visiting checkpoints either on mtb or trail running.  There is no obvious route between checkpoints so you end up going up and down, in and out of valleys.  I pb'd collect over half the points available, in total I mtb for 2 hours covered 23km with 1500m of ascent, and covered 12km trail running with 2000m of ascent.

Excellent day out, some truly epic views and fantastic descents. Can't wait for the next one

06/05/2013 at 17:44

eco - that sounds like hard work, well done

not sure about having bottles behind me - no idea how I would manage to get them back in! 

06/05/2013 at 20:45

Maths, sounds like practice would be good, I can manage to drink on bike but not eat. I sometimes have to have 2 goes at getting my bottle.

I woke up this morning, feeling very stiff and sore and tired, so turned over and had an extra 2 hours sleep. That was what I needed, been out walking for hours today.

IronCat5    pirate
06/05/2013 at 20:45

Evening all!

Maths - I have behind the seat bottles and original Speedfil. Speedfil was great and I topped it up with behind seat bottles (which were a pain to get the bottle in whilst moving).

Sounds like a good day out Eco. Chili - good results all round.

So today I met up with DB and we did the Shinfield 10km. It was hot, and perhaps spending my time in the US drinking beer was not the best preparation for a 10km run.

A new PB of 41:13 was hard work, though I knew I wasn't working hard enough so dialled back the effort a tad. PB has stood since July 2011 and was broken by 4m49s.

DB did well too!

07/05/2013 at 07:36

I did a nice 10K yesterday.  It actually felt really good and even though I did the "hard" route, my 1km times were just over 5 minutes which for me is excellent.

One of the guys in the race I did had some strange water container on the front of his bike with a little tube.  He didn't have to lift his hands off the bike, he just put his head down and used the straw/tube thing...(quality description I know )

07/05/2013 at 08:06

cat - well done

speedfill - I know it is fairly expensive - is it easy to fit (like would I who is rubbish at all that be able to do it?) on my bike there are some secondary brakes at the front of the handlebars which might mess up being able to fit a speedfil. I'll try to find a picture so you know what I mean

07/05/2013 at 08:15

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/624201/gallery/bike.jpg?width=350

IronCat5    pirate
07/05/2013 at 12:33

Pete - could be a Speedfil A2. I have the classic, with a frame mounted bottle and a loooong tube to my mouth.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/553795/gallery/img-20120512-00270_sm.jpg?width=350

07/05/2013 at 13:41

Ewww pretty bike there IronCat!!  

I saw a couple of riders with Planet X bikes on Sunday - there was a lot of eyeing of bikes at the start of the ride I thought the big bottles were overkill given the two on the back - until I realised how much I drank over the course of the day!  How much do they hold?

07/05/2013 at 16:52

cat - so that should fit on my bike ok? I'd just need to remove the regular bottle holders I have on there. Is it easy to clean etc?

cake - great to hear from you, hope you are recovered now. 

07/05/2013 at 16:53

OH started his new job today, the OW swim venue I went to last year is opened up, just not sure I should head there tonight seeing as OH will want to be telling me all about his day. Maybe I should stay home and be a good wife for once?? 

07/05/2013 at 17:04

Hi guys, my first Tri is nearly upon me and I can do the individual bits in training, but feel a little out of my comfort zone going into a competition.

I've asked this quiestion before then deleted it, 'cos I can't work out if it's stupid or reasonable, but I think I'll risk stupid just ot get it out of my head.

It's a cycle thing, I get about drafting and the 5m rule at Stratford, what I don't know is if there is any etiquette involved if 2 or 3 cyclists have to gather at a pinch point like traffic lights or junctions.  Are we supposed to get through the hazard in the order we arrived at it, spacing out again as quickly as possible, or should I expect that if it's safe, somebody in the group might decided to try and get an advantage with a quick start.  It's not a stressy thing for me either way,  I'm not racing so much as participating, so am happy to help a faster rider by making room - I'm just interested to know if this kind of thing is ever an issue.

07/05/2013 at 17:12

Mathschick it's a stunning day out - you can always give husband your full attention when you get home

07/05/2013 at 17:24

mc I was going to echo your friends advice about breaking it down so riding one handed to start with etc. I think that would still be worth doing as it will boost your confidence and your balance and will help towards being able to eat on the bike as well as drink? Just a thought.

It amazing the things we're forget I still can't ride with no hands (iknow that's a good thin on open roads). Yet I could practically ride and entire route no handed as a kid. Which was handy in Yorkshire when I pulled on the handle bars to get up a hill and they came off in my hands!

07/05/2013 at 17:28

(((Cake))) Cheers mate, excellent to have you back, definitely looking forward to seeing you guys Sunday morning.  Good news is I have almost no other daft questions.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.