Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,661 to 8,680 of 15,141 messages
08/05/2013 at 08:16

emma - is it a pool tri? Just enjoy it and don't worry. Even if you are last, who cares? You will get loads of support, there will be lots of other first timers there too with exactly the same worries as you. Just go along, have some fun and don't worry about how long it all takes

08/05/2013 at 08:19

Thank you MC! Yes pool tri - wet suit yet to be purchased and won't be able to do that this season as I have just invested in a road bike. I do still hope I'm not last! But if I take the pressure off myself I will have a better time and enjoy the experience.

08/05/2013 at 08:58

Emma - if it is anything like the pool tris I have done, there will be people still starting the swim up to about 12ish, you will be finished well before then and can watch the fast ones come in!

Razor51    pirate
08/05/2013 at 09:27

EmmaC, just go out and enjoy it and dont worry where you finish, you will make mistakes like everyone doesjust use it as a learning curve, my first tri I made all sorts of cockups but really enjoyed every minute of it

You can read my race report of my first tri on page 55 on this thread, go on have a laugh  ;-)

08/05/2013 at 12:23

Hey, what's wrong with making mistakes and coming last?  It's all part of learning.

I was last in my age group in April's race by nearly 4 minutes.  I didn't turn back at the correct marker in the run and ran 2km more than anyone else.  But as I was one of the first to set off in the pool I was able to finish and watch everyone else racing.  I learnt a lot from the race.  To me it doesn't matter that I was last, I finished a triathlon.  I have some great annecdotes to bore my mates with and when I'm at work and folk ask me what I'm doing at the weekend, I gently drop in to the conversation that I'm training for another triathlon and enjoy the shocked looks from the middle aged business folk.

Just enjoy it Emma, do you best, have fun.  And don't forget to post your race story, it's my favourite bit on here.

08/05/2013 at 12:29

Thank you for the confidence boost Cake, Razor and MC. I am half excited and half terrified. I think that my taret should just be to get around (and not fall off my bike). Like everyone - I don't really want to make a fool of myself!

So plan for the day is to enjoy it!

08/05/2013 at 12:31

Thank you Pete_in the hills! I usually have several comedy moments in a running race and so a 3 discipline event with transiitons should provide lots of comedy fodder!

I'm actually really looking forward to posting my story so thank you!

Razor51    pirate
08/05/2013 at 12:34

That's the spirit Emma, go and enjoy.

08/05/2013 at 13:49

So much to catch up on... will look back later.

Emma - you'll be just fine!

Went to Afan Forest to do some mtb'ing at the weekend. Well, my bf did, I still wasn't feeling that great so just did the green and blue rookie route twice with another girl who's not a mountain biker. Was nice to be outside.

I can do gentle exercise at the moment but nothing fast as I can't breathe in properly. Fed up with it all though so decided to go for a run this lunch time. Did 5k in the slowest time ever but I guess it doesn't really matter in 'training'.

08/05/2013 at 17:15

Yayayay mikasa! Progress is progress - slow is better than not at all which is me tonight - I managed to fall off bike whilst taking my right foot out of the pedal such a dork - whacked arm out and grazed my knee - heel of my hand was v sore - ego was a bit bruised and I lost all motivation for the run I was going to go for - so that will be tomorrows jobbie.

Emma C you will do fine!  Hope the weather clears up for you and SCJ this weekend

08/05/2013 at 17:20

Emma, If you spot me say hi, I am due to start 9.06am, also worth going into the pool area earlier than your allotted time and ask if you can start sooner as you think you will be slower than you put on the form. Last year I did the race with my neighbour doing her first tri and we started at similar times. the organisers are very friendly.

08/05/2013 at 18:01

Cheers ButterCup!  I think I feel better for doing it.

Sorry to hear about your fall, but glad not much damage done. I once fell onto the grass verge on a main road as I stopped suddenly after dropping my water bottle putting it back into the cage. To be honest, I just laughed.

Dustboy    pirate
08/05/2013 at 20:38

Top training with Soupy last nite at Richmond Park. We were both knackered, Soupy from Half Iron at weekend and me from a 10K race so we took it dead easy......for a lap, then sod it and let rip. Very sore now.

Much of use such as attacking hills, tempo miles, turning high gears up lumps, hi cadence stuff, recovery stuff. Loads of fun.

Hoping to go next Tuesday after work as well. You can get 4 laps in (27 miles) which makes a reasonable ride, especially midweek. All comers welcome! Especially Kanga, but it might be a bit far mate. Taken me years but I finally "Get" Richmond Park as a training venue.

08/05/2013 at 21:16

Sounds much fun DB. If not a little leg breaking. Enjoy my fair share of hills in sunny Gloucestershire. Sticking to the smaller ones at present.
Good vibes sent out to all racing the weekend. 
MC - good to hear about the run. Hope OH soon settles in. 
Don't worry Buttercup, came off the bike twice two weeks ago. A wise man once said, 'there are those who have fallen off and those that will fall off'. It is a given it will happen.
Run done tonight, 25min. Getting nervous now.
Welcome back Mr Cake!

08/05/2013 at 22:37

DB, I "get" Richmond Park as a training venue, alas I have Pilates on a Tuesday evening, so can't join you and Soupy unless its half term when we have no class.

I went for a little run, well it started off as very much run/walk, run a little bit more/walk. Lost the mojo, lost PMA, almost at the point of deciding never to try to run again. Then the rhythm kicked in, still doing run/walk but picking a spot in the distance and running to it before the walk. Last mile was done with only one short walk, felt better probably because it was a gentle downhill. 3.5 miles in 48 mins, slow but after 2 days in central London on a training course, it was great to get outdoors for fresh air.

Need to get organised, so I can fit doing everything I want to into my life.

09/05/2013 at 14:12

Mmmm chocolate - I bike to work Cake so all good - got some pretty bruises for my efforts  

09/05/2013 at 17:52

buttercup - hope you are ok after your fall. 

having a restful week after losing my mojo in the hope of getting it back. Bike is back from servicing so I have no excuse now! It needed a new chain and the gears were out. Doubt whether the adjustments will make getting up hills any easier or me any quicker though

09/05/2013 at 18:21

MC, good to hear your bike has been serviced It might make it seem smoother if not faster. I think mine may need some more tinkering with.

I am going to spend the evening reading my Garmin manual so I know how to do auto multi sport so it can record all my splashing, pedalling and plodding at the weekend.

Buttercup, I have a fine yellow and purple bruise at the top of my thigh from my last unclipping incident, a small branch was the culprit as I went sideways into a bank of greenery. At least it will not show up under my purple trisuit.

09/05/2013 at 20:18

Ouch Buttercup, hope your not too bashed.

Hope you get out on your bike soon MC, don't want to leave it too long!

Good luck at the weekend Steady.

Club run on Tuesday was hard, my legs certainly weren't fully recovered from all those hills at the weekend, gym session tomorrow, pootle on the bike planned for Saturday then 6mile cross country run on Sunday.

09/05/2013 at 20:50

Aw Buttercup, hope ur starting to feel better. Steady too, lots of bruises about. Which garmin you have Steady? 
Come on Maths, as well you know at some point it just clicks! Keep plugging away.
Eco still giving it large!
Supposed to have biked tonight but the awful weather and my fatigue put spanner in the works. Could have turboed but just feel exhausted. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.