Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,701 to 8,720 of 13,868 messages
Razor51    pirate
11/05/2013 at 07:49

4.5 miles run this morning nice easy pace 9.50 ish and feeling good,   Right off to work now, happy training everyone.

11/05/2013 at 07:52

emma - I always do rubbish cos I am slow at everything, but for me finishing is an achievement so I never feel dispappointed even when I do a worse time at a distance! I am always just happy to have taken part and finished in one piece. When I think back to how enormous I was when I had my kids I know I am doing ok.

yes, you are right about just getting to the line and seeing how it goes. Wouldn't be a total failure to get pullled off the bike course for not meeting the cutoffs, as I would have still managed the OW swim etc.

this morning - going to do some strengthening in the gym then masters swimming. 

oh, and yes, I am secondary. My A/S group have their exams this week and next and there isn't a second year to their course so that will be some time freed up, and years 10 and 11 have their last exam 14th June. Then I will just be a bit nervous till results day

IronCat5    pirate
11/05/2013 at 10:19

Maths - maintain a positive mental attitude from now one. That's an order!

You will do it all. Swim, Bike, Run. Beer afterwards. Same fir you Steady; you've experienced an Outlaw finish already.

Good luck to all weekend racers.

Found out I came second on Thursday's timetrial

11/05/2013 at 10:52

Iron Cat, well done.

PMA is order of the day. I like your thinking IronCat for the 4 items especially the last one, and yes the finish at Outlaw is awesome.

1200m OW this morning, chores now and then haircut. Sort the bike out ready for tomorrow and quick ride if not raining.

Emma, I have now changed the clothing and will have a top/jacket in T1 to wear on the bike and the calf guards are getting another try. The numbers are up on the website along with start time. Take enough so that afterwards you have plenty of dry warm clothing to put on. I will stuff a locker full of bits for after I finish.

11/05/2013 at 11:28

Fair play Steady you're cracking on. Most jealous of your Garmin hardware. Have the 310xt and loving it! Keep finding new things that can be done on it! Good luck tomorrow.
Congrats Mr Cat, the accolades keep coming!
Good luck Emma, we wait for report! 
Maths - just think... What's the worst that could happen? Be interested to see how the speedfill goes for you. How's OH?
Razor - you're my injury recovery inspiration. Just how it is buddy.
So, chill out day today. Off to register this afternoon (its the Cotswold Supersprint Maths). Ready to get up crazy early tomorrow. Come on sunshine!
Oh and by the way... Had my first spray tan! For my holiday not the tri.... I'm usually moving up from blue. Will let you know if I look tangerine tomorrow!

11/05/2013 at 12:18

Right, doing my first tri tomorrow (Wilmslow sprint). What mistakes should I try to avoid? Any top tips?

IronCat5    pirate
11/05/2013 at 12:20
Hallam Blue wrote (see)

Right, doing my first tri tomorrow (Wilmslow sprint). What mistakes should I try to avoid? Any top tips?

Good luck Hallam Blue!

You'll probably feel dizzy after the swim. This is normal.

At the end of the bike stretch out, drop in to a lower gear and spin the legs out. Then when you run you'll feel like your legs are made of jelly. This is also normal and will go at some point.

Smile when you cross the line, and get a great photo!

11/05/2013 at 12:41

Welcome  and Good luck Hallam Blue, do not try to put on a T shirt with your helmet already on. If raining, cover your stuff in transition so its not too wet, old carrier bag or my fave an Ikea bag 'cos its large.

IronCat has told you some good tips. Listen to the marshalls, they will tell you where and when the mount/dismount line is.

Plus most important come back and give us a race report.

11/05/2013 at 12:45

good luck to everyone for your tris tomorrow

cat - order taken! 

I'm going to try the drinkiing on the bike tomorrow and if I can't cope with bottles I'll order a speedfil from wiggle. 

MrsD - the worst? don't ,make me think of bad things....anyway, could be I don't finish the bike by the cutoff which wouldn't be a massive failure anyway. Just get the beer quicker that way

IronCat5    pirate
11/05/2013 at 12:57
mathschick wrote (see)
MrsD - the worst? don't ,make me think of bad things....anyway, could be I don't finish the bike by the cutoff which wouldn't be a massive failure anyway.

FFS! POSITIVE THINKING AT ALL TIMES!

11/05/2013 at 13:18

it was her fault honestly, cat - she asked me what the worst thing that could happen was.....

actually the worst thing would be not to go and have to spend the day listening to my kids arguing!!

IronCat5    pirate
11/05/2013 at 13:27

11/05/2013 at 15:01

MC, we will be OK, look we have already agreed that we are going to run/walk/talk the run bit and finish before the final cut off, so all will be well.
Oh and I am not camping for nothing so I am going to succeed. Determination got me through the last 10 miles of the London marathon a long time ago, last years Outlaw run was an extreme test of resolve and I did it, so my Taurean stubbornness will be my strength.

11/05/2013 at 15:53

mc - it is a deal I know if I can get round the bike before the cut off I will be fine - last month I speed walked a really tough hilly half marathon in 3 hours, so the flat one round Nottingham I know I can do. And there are feed stations about every mile and a half - need to make sure I don't drink so much on the walk/run that I need the loo every few minutes and that I don't eat so many jaffa cakes that I put weight on that day!

already decided that I am definitely going to do the full boar/wild boar whatever it is called at the end of the summer - I can defintely build the bike up well over the summer and hopefully will be able to run the whole half marathon by then if I am careful with my knee. I might insist on OH and the kids coming down for the weekend to watch me do it too! 

11/05/2013 at 17:19

I was going to see how Outlaw went before committing to the boar thingy.

Most chores done, bike in car and packed kit, kept remembering more things, race belt, BTF card etc.

11/05/2013 at 17:26

I reckon even if outlaw half goes badly, with the lessons learnt and the rest of the summer to sort them out the boar thing will be better, it is on 1st Sept. Now OH has a job I don't need to worry about the cost of entries too much. Although he has found the first few days in the job hard - it has been a stressful week!

11/05/2013 at 18:10

Now hold on a doggedy don minute... It was supposed to be a kind of pep up! Not a 'think about all that could go hideously pear shaped!' You have to do it Maths, you will always be irritated with yourself if you don't. PLUS, you'll be grand! We have faith, you must too!!!!!!!
If you do Wild Boar, I will.
I have brown legs - Woop Woop.
Mr Cat - its not my fault 

11/05/2013 at 18:58

right MrsD - wild boar has been on my list for this year anyway, I think sometime last year it was mentioned as a thread day out for this year! I'm sure ST (whereever he has gone) said there were no cutoffs - which almost means a guaranteed finish

just done a turbo session to practice bottle taking out - someone at swim club showed me her hand position which was kind of backwards to the way I would have done it, so tomorrow I am going to attempt it. Only if I can't manage it will I splash out the money on the speedfill. But I am bloody well trying tomorrow. 

so today has been; gym, masters swim, hell trying to buy trainers for eldest son and a turbo

11/05/2013 at 19:09

Well done MC, I can only do bottle on bike with left hand, if I use the right I wobble too much.

11/05/2013 at 19:14

are you left handed or right handed steady? Hadn't thought about using my left hand, although my bottle holder is a side holder so would be difficult to use my left hand to get the bottle out as it need to be pulled to the right hand side. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.