Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,721 to 8,740 of 17,561 messages
12/05/2013 at 20:48

I gave her a "C'mon pirate" shout, Matt.

Probably need to get kitted out for the next one. Anyone up for Macclesfield sprint in August? 

12/05/2013 at 20:53

Hi there

Popping my head round the door to see how Steady is recuperating after her race ,today   It was lovely to see the pirate colours doubly so as I wasn't expecting to see any other yella 'n' black out and about, and to meet another shipmate!

12/05/2013 at 21:01

Race reports! Race reports! i'm with Mikasa, come on, where are they? It sounds like you all had a great time and we want to hear.

12/05/2013 at 21:04

Race Reports! Race Reports! 

12/05/2013 at 21:07

East Grinstead, Sussex Sprint Tri - 500m swim, 26k cycle, 5k run

A day to remember or one to forget.

Arrived early, weather sunny, cool but windy. Registered and racked OK, bumped into Podds a fellow pirate, faffed around put stuff in locker in pool area, back to T1 faffed a bit more. Then headed in to race start.

Allocated timing chip, straight to poolside and given first lane which meant going clockwise and I am used to going the other way when in the pool at masters sessions. FC all the way had a man not liking being chicked but he kept changing to breast stroke. Out with no dizzy spell, but had to see swim referee as I had my calf guards on and thats not allowed, apologised and given warning so incurred a tiny time penalty. Ran out of pool area out on to grass and tarmac to T1.

Organised faff, for a change, grabbed bike and trotted out to the road and got on OK, first junction had a marshall warning  of approaching traffic and a massive pothole just where you would normally ride, so had to go out wide. Headed off then managed to catch the button on my garmin and go to lap 4 ie T2, so as I had contact lenses in could not read it clearly so in a hissy fit turned the thing off. Now I had no idea on time, distance but had kept the old bike computer on bars so at least knew the time of day.

12/05/2013 at 21:08

Enjoyed the ride, as I approached the traffic calming section in a village the road was clear so marshall waved me on with plenty of encouragement as a pirate. Slowed down on the hills but took drinks regularly, DB’s voice was in my head on each hill thanks mate it helped. Back into the town centre and sharp left turn into Leisure centre: I got to dismount line, where I had the most spectactular bout of cramp whilst getting off the bike. I had stopped as very short dismount section, swung right leg back to get off and the weight bearing one on the left cramped in the quads muscle. I nearly fell over, dropped the bike on the ground and had to support myself on the marshall for a few seconds. Composed myself and was proud that I did not swear, pushed bike into transition. I tried to run but the quad was far too painful a slow jog was the most and was rapidly followed by walking. The quad could not work properly so the inner thigh muscle had to work extra and that made it worse. Found my spot easily, dumped bike on rack, changed shoes, turned number round and headed off on the run.

12/05/2013 at 21:08

Well I say run, but it was a steady jog, not due to jelly legs but I could not bring my left leg up as it hurt, makes a change for the left side to hurt me. Had to run through the spectator filled parts of town, but soon ended up walking, all inclines were walked, cursed to myself and even half way through the first lap thought of calling it a day and have a DNF, to save myself for Outlaw Half. Soon put the thought out of my brain and decided a slow jog/walk would have to do.

End of second lap managed to run up the finish chute, collected my prize, a supermarket trolley token with the race logo on(there was a T shirt and bike bottle in the goody bag at registration). Went over to the first aid ambulance and asked if they had an ice pack. One instant disposable ice pack given, so shoved it up the leg of my trisuit and went off to see what time I had done. Saw Podds again, she had had a good race.

12/05/2013 at 21:10

Went in to centre and had a shower, then on exit saw Emma, who didnot recognise me until I pointed out the jacket. Quick natter, Emma’s face was beaming a very happy smile, then went to get bike and get home.

Times

Swim ? Not showing on the results yet

T1? Again not showing on results yet

Bike 1:17:53 quicker by 27 seconds than last year

T2   2:34 quicker by7 seconds than last year

Run 40:08 not good  and a whole 3minutes and 56 seconds slower than last year

Overall 2:19:03 which was a little bit slower but I got nutrition wrong, cramp on dismount. Will try harder next year. I hope they get the swim times up soon, but they do admit that they will sort those out once the event is over.

I will let you know tomorrow, how the legs feel, I will sleep in the recovery tights and pray for a miracle.

12/05/2013 at 21:11

Do I get a prize for first race report?

Edited: 12/05/2013 at 21:11
12/05/2013 at 21:14

Good job for finishing Steady - consider it acquiring mental toughness for the Outlaw Half and you got the Tshirt and a bike bottle - Steady FTW! yayayay!

I slept in my compression tights last Sunday night - worked a treat if not very fashion forward

Edited: 12/05/2013 at 21:15
Cortina5    pirate
12/05/2013 at 23:06

Well done to all those that raced. Sounds like an absolutely cracking weekend all round!

Steady - take it easy this week with that quad. Don't push it and do save yourself for the HIM.

Sounds like a good outing MrsD, and welcome back Podds!

First OW swim this morning, and then turbo tonight. I'm doing TrainerRoad's 8 days in California challenge. Day1 was hard.

12/05/2013 at 23:06

Evening all (hi again Steady!) sorry for the late report - We've just spent some time cleaning up a horrendous amount of vomit as I eldest was sick all over himself in bed (we've actually had to throw some sheets and duvet cover away!). Sorry about that information folks - my little excited post first triathlon bubble popped with a stinky return to my regular life.

The day was sunny but still quite chilly and I had to battle to get husband and children out of doors in time. We got to East Grinstead and parked with surprising ease - directed by lovely smiley marshals. I did get rather nervous walking through to transition to set up. I was worried about being cold on the bike section - support ranged from put on your man suit to put on a windproof jacket!  I laid out everything in transition aided by a little mime of each stage! There was a lovely relaxed atmosphere some had started and some were ages from starting so there were always people at different stages of their race. Very different to 2000 people all heading off on a half marathon at one moment.

12/05/2013 at 23:16

Once I'd set up I went to the café in the leisure centre with my OH and boys to wait until I went to get changed on to my tri suit. Once I got in to my tri suit I felt quite nervous but the marshals on pool side were so, so lovely and directed me to lane 1. I was given a grey hat and got my goggle sorted. Then I got in and almost immediately was given the countdown to go. I had clear water for the entire length ahead of me and set off at a steady pace - it all seemed to go by in a flash. One chap in front of me was doing breaststroke and turned a split second before I could tap his feet. As I didn't want to wait until the end (or get kicked in the face) so I tapped him firmly on the foot and then overtook him. The board came in for 2 lengths and then I was out. Quite a long run on tarmac to the field for transition with me shouting 'oo ow ow eek' quite a bit. Nearly set off on the run route in the wrong direction until a marshal redirected me. Found the bike and then the worlds slowest transition.... Getting socks on to wet feet quite tricky, then I decided to put my jacket on and zip it up and my garmin and my gloves ..... No time given for my swim as I think the chip must not have registered over the first mat but total for swim and T1 was 13.30 so swim probably under 10 mins.

12/05/2013 at 23:28

The run to the mount point seemed to be quite a long one but I was really pleased that I managed to run just holding the saddle. Just about clipped in (3 attempts) and then I went passed the huge puddle and the marshal telling me to go around the cone. Later I was to discover that my friend from the club ended up in the pothole with her bike on top of her. She then has spend all afternoon and evening in hospital and has to have surgery to pin her broken wrist! Feel so so sorry for her.

Bike was fun but challenging about 12 people came past me but I caught up and overtook two of them. Two women overtook me but in my defence the first ended up finishing 4th lady.

I had to stop at a pedestrian crossing (why the woman pressed the button when no traffic I don't know) and then because of the traffic calming measures in Forest Row. But I didn't really care. It was hard work and although I pushed as hard as I could at the time think this is where I can improve the most. 1hr 3mins 47secs (want to be under 1 hour really). My new bike was fabulous!!!! I had a gel in the pouch on the cross bard which I took at about 7 miles in or so.

At the top of the hill just before I came back to transition I saw my OH and my two boys shouting. Off the bike (nearly a comedy moment there) ran to rack bike and change my shoes, gloves and jacket ( transition 2 about 2 plus minutes!). Boy my leggies were heavy at the start of the run.

12/05/2013 at 23:36

Run was tough but 'doable' and I managed to average about 8:20 pace which I was pleased with. Initially I was aiming for 27 mins but managed just under 25 mins (think course was just shy of 5k).

I think probably the best race I have done - certainly in the top three with Paris marathon and Dublin marathon 2012. It was amazing so so excited and booking up for the crowborough sprint in September!!!!

Finished in 1.43.47 - 21st of 56 finishers in my category so really chuffed.

An added bonus was seeing Steady - I didn't recognise her as she didn't have her number on and was all sparkly after her shower - but then she pointed to her pirate jacket and finally the penny dropped. As she mentioned earlier I am blonde and sometimes it takes me a while to catch up with everyone else!!! Lovely to have a catch up and great to put a face to a name on the forum.

CAN'T WAIT TO DO THE NEXT ONE!

Right off on vomit watch - sorry for rambling but I am so so so so so so excited about my first triathlon!

Edited: 12/05/2013 at 23:37
13/05/2013 at 06:31

HI guys, job done, first triathlon successfully completed.  I wasn't last (just nearly last).

Comedy moment:  When registering, I realised I had to pull up my running bottoms to get my race number applied to my leg - I was wearing my mundany comedy cheese socks, complete with mice.

Most confusing moment: Watching outgoing cyclists so intent on trying to finalise their foot/pedal position, that they forgot to steer around the corner and wobbled into the cones instead.

Hardest moment:  Mentally it was the first laps of swimming. I'm especially rubbish at swimming and my breaststroke style didn't fit in well with the needs of the faster freestyle swimmers. It took me a length or 2 to get my head around my legs being knocked about, at a time when I would normally want to be  gliding forward and making progress. I did manage to be 30s faster than I thought I'd be, so okay in the end and a good learning experience.

Best moment:  Finishing and getting a bacon butty.

Nicest moments: Meeting friends and seeing them arrive safely back to complete theirs.

13/05/2013 at 08:06

Well do

13/05/2013 at 08:08

Well done steady and DawnShaddow! Inspired by steady I've even been looking at HIM for next year! Will need a wet suit and to get over my fear of open water! 

13/05/2013 at 08:17

I know what you mean Emma, well done to both  you and Steady.  I'm thinking about doing a half.  Now I've got this sprint under my belt there are a couple of changes I need to make,  'cos I want to go into the half knowing I'm ready, rather than hoping I am.

13/05/2013 at 08:50

Aw great reports Hallam, Steady, Dawn and Emma. Just brilliant to hear you guys rocking it! Well done to all of you. And no one was last - get in!

Ok, so Cotswold Supersprint... the main thing I was worried about was the weather. We had hideous rain and high winds Saturday but Sunday morning was beautiful. Sunshine and gentle breeze. Although getting up at 5am was unpleasant.
Setting up in transition was funny, lots of first timers checking how each other were setting up. Some people had so many different towels for different things. Did spend a lot of time checking out bikes with my partner in crime. He had already started his excuses, woke up with a sore throat, got cramp overnight and calf still tight - yeah yeah!

So swim; was late due to queus at portaloo. Hopped into the water, popped some water into the wetsuit and had a short lived acclimatisation. Left foot felt a bit sore but soon went numb! Stayed at the back for the swim which was a mistake. Couldnt get into my swimming. eventually things spread out and managed to pass a lot of people - yep I passed people! Out the water (not last) little bit dizzy headed to the bike. Swim done 11.04
T1 - was ages faffing. My OH keeping me motivated and updated. Will certainly set things up differently next time.
Bike; heading out got a heckle from who I presumed was Schmunks which boosted me no end. Struggled to get on the bike as left foot was completely numb. Once out really enjoyed it. Didnt realise how diddy my bike was until the big boys came flying past me. A few inclines which is where problems started. As soon as went onto small ring gears started slipping through. A BRAT informed me this is the derailleur needing adjusting, followed by a 'go on pirate'. Bike done 45.09.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.