Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,721 to 8,740 of 15,805 messages
Razor51    pirate
11/05/2013 at 19:59

Not seen or heard from ST for a while, his name has dissappeared from the Outlaw start list.

11/05/2013 at 20:07

not sure what has happened to him. He disappeared after Rutland marathon in November I think

love the idea of getting together for the wild boar

what kind of tape do people use to tape gels to their bike? or can anyone give me ideas of how to transport gels - not sure I have the balance to reach round into a back pocket while cycling

11/05/2013 at 20:35

Um... Guys, I have a race belt. Do I wear my number on the front for bike and run? 

11/05/2013 at 20:41

back for the bike, front for the run.

use safety pins to pin the numbers together back to back, with one of the numbers upside down (so if it flaps up the number can still be read) then feed the belt through the pinned together numbers. fasten on before getting on the bike, just swivel round when you get off the bike so the number ends up at the front

IronCat5    pirate
11/05/2013 at 20:43

Or wear it under your wettie

Some races don't allow this for some reason.

11/05/2013 at 20:45

sellotape does the trick, if you are really clever you can put the tape across the opening tab so when you tear the gel off it opens it aswell. . . . .I'm not sure how much skill this requires as I can't deal with gels, feel like I'm trying to swollow vaseline.

Good luck to all those playing tomorrow.  Did a 35 mile offroad mtb with OH today, bit longer than anticipated, sleepy now, Jack and Jill challenge race tomorrow, legs are going to be wrecked!

I miss ST.

11/05/2013 at 20:48

Thanks, getting mega nervous now. Just hope I sleep.

IronCat5    pirate
11/05/2013 at 21:02

Good ride Eco.

It's not too hard to tape the gels like Eco says. I tend to use electrical tape or gaffa tape. I did have one gel that didn't open properly and just split as I pulled it. Cue gel all over me, the bike and everything else - at about mile 18 at Outlaw!

11/05/2013 at 21:04

Good luck to all that are racing tomorrow!!!

11/05/2013 at 21:10

Ooo this is all such exciting talk Have a great time tomorrow all who are racing! Am looking forward to reading all the wonderful reports.

Well done Iron Cat on your place at TT.

I miss ST too

11/05/2013 at 21:24

Hey mikasa if you get the chance go for a ride through the Bath two tunnels that have just opened, over a mile of tunnel to ride through really good fun.

11/05/2013 at 22:48

I've got my number 247! Quite excited and only really nervous about being really cold on the bike and falling off. The hurting because of cycling etc doesn't worry me but being cold does! Going to travel in normal clothes - put stuff in transition then go and get changed. Going to hand my stuff to OH before I go in and collect my chip for swiming. Then I will be really nervous!

Go on MC - PMA ... It'saw what we tell out kids. My yr 12 s have gone and 1 week left with 11 and 13. Then all that planning time and making books not seen for far too long!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! I hope I love this! If not it will have to be duathlons. 

11/05/2013 at 23:08

Good luck everyone.

Although with all the training everyone is doing I know you'll be fine . 

12/05/2013 at 09:56

Hi Eco, yes, I heard about those tunnels, will try them out sometime. Need to get my skates on re: biking as we're off to La Plagne to do some mountain biking in July!!! And I need to get fit!

Edited: 12/05/2013 at 10:08
12/05/2013 at 10:31

I did it! 40 mile ride in about 3 hours (forgot to press start on the garmin and didn't realise for the first hour!) Seems grabbing a bottle and drinking is no biggie after all.  and taping the gels made grabbing and eating a gel possible too. 

now for another question: what do you do with the gel wrappers?? Littering is not a good idea, and could get you DQd. trying to get them in my back pocket is dodgy on the balance front and would leave my back all sticky for the rest of the ride and the run

12/05/2013 at 13:13

Wilmslow sprint done. Absolutely loved it - all went very smoothly.  Swim(400m in 10.02) faster than the time I put down, but probably could have gone a bit faster, but reckoned that it probably wouldn't make a huge difference overall, and wanted to keep something in the tank. Smooth transition to the bike-reasonably flat 21km with a couple of sharp climbs but nothing too taxing - 57.51. Did as advised and dropped down a gear or two towards the end, , and felt pretty fresh at the start of the run ( 6.25k). Some mild undulations, but the two footbridges were a bit tough.  

Overall 1.50.05 (unofficial). Loved every minute and will probably sign up for the re- run in September, even though it will be taper time for Chester marathon.  

12/05/2013 at 13:22

Cotswold Supersprint done!  I am chuffed to bits AND I didn't come last - get in! Report will follow.
Oo cracking job Maths! 

12/05/2013 at 13:57

I LOVED IT! And I bumped in to Steady CJ afterwarend which was lovely - she got to see my beastie boys who had been causing havoc! Race report to follow after ashower! IT WAS BRILLIANT and I wasn't last! No thinking about how I can improve next time.

12/05/2013 at 13:58

Oh and we'll done Mrs D and MC! And HB!

12/05/2013 at 14:40

well done Emma, MrsD, HB and steady

looking forward to all the race reports

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.