Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,741 to 8,760 of 15,801 messages
12/05/2013 at 14:50

MC Great ride, glad you mastered drinking and gels, as for the wrappers, shove 'em up your shorts leg, you won't even notice they're there.  

Emma, Mrs D and HB Well done! Looking forward to the race reports

Jack 'n Jill Challenge cross country 10km, oh my days, legs are totally cream crackered really good event and a nice course but just as your feet dry out you have to wade through another stream and then face another hill!  No idea what my time was probably around 65 mins which I'll be more than happy with given the cycle yesterday and all the hills.

12/05/2013 at 15:12

WELL DONE Emma, Mrs D, HB, Maths and Eco!

Look forward to reading your race reports. 

12/05/2013 at 15:13

Sorry Steady, missed you out...  Well done!!!

Dustboy    pirate
12/05/2013 at 15:21

Well done all.

Re what do you do with gel wrappers, stick them under the elastic bit on the leg of your shorts. And if the wasps come a chasing, they can only fly up to 35mph, you will rapidly learn to ride faster! LOL

Mr StOat    pirate
12/05/2013 at 16:32

well done Hall am Blue. I didn't see anymore black and yellow at Wilmslow today, were you incognito?

I was in my pirate tri-suit, Mrs matt was pirate top (cycle jersey then Monaco)

12/05/2013 at 16:45

MC, apart from the already suggested method, put some gels into a small drink/gel flask so that way no wrapper problem, just the getting them in and out of pocket or bento box. I will be trying that out next weekend as have just bought the little flask thingys.

Race report will follow, great to see Emma, I would describe her as a blonde version of Chilibean with only 2 kids. Both make me feel old and fat. Also bumped into another female pirate by the name of Podds, the shouts out for being a pirate do help.

Well done to all the racers, I have a feeling my times may be the slowest.

12/05/2013 at 16:48

steady - your times don't matter, it is taking part that is important Well done, whatever your times turn out to be

what are the flask thingys and where on the bike do they go?

12/05/2013 at 17:08

I've yet to get hold of my pirate gear -this was my first foray into the world of tri.

Did see one PSOF top as I was coming back up the end of the run - woman heading out on the run at about 9.55.

12/05/2013 at 17:10

Flasks were from a website, had to google to find a shop with any left. I would put them in a back pocket or in a little bento box (small material box shape that goes on the top tube near the handlebars, fixed by Velcro strips).

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/524827/gallery/gel_flask.png?width=350

12/05/2013 at 17:12

Hallam Blue, there is a thread called "pirate spotting" or something similar, go on there post the where and when and find out who it was.

12/05/2013 at 17:27

Race reports, race reports, race reports!!!!

Yes, I have nothing better to do today except to read them!!! 

12/05/2013 at 17:28

Awesome work peeps!! See MC your legs can work far harder than your head will have you believe - or at least that's what I tell myself  

I tend to whack the empty gel packets in my back pockets but last big ride seven gels later and my back pockets were a mess  I like the flask idea if Im wearing my cycle jersey and the bento box if Im wearing a suit.

12/05/2013 at 18:07

you cycle wearing a suit??

12/05/2013 at 18:30

I only do sprints in a trisuit, otherwise  2 pieces.

Edited: 12/05/2013 at 18:30
12/05/2013 at 18:41

haha,when buttercup said suit I was thinking of a suit for wearing to the office, what a twit I can be not sure if I can cope with the flask - seems to have a lid on, that could cause me all kind of problems. maybe the bento box idea, although the short leg idea sounds pretty simple, and leaves the top tube free for taping gels to. 

12/05/2013 at 19:35

Hi all, is there room for another newbie?, I am training for the shockabsorber tri in July and I have a secretphobia. Soon I will have to confront this fear.....finding a wetsuit! As I am a middle aged short arse I am terrified they won't fit, any advice gratefully received and well done to all the guys who have already raced this year xx

12/05/2013 at 19:41

Steady is that for pit stops?  Does the top ride up cause that would just annoy me especially when Im running...although I have been looking at two pieces and MC if the lid is like my bottles I would just use my teeth to pull it out.

Dustboy    pirate
12/05/2013 at 19:41

Well, emsi, the event is at Dorney, which suggests you may not be a million miles away. Most of the local lakes to Dorney that are suitable for swimmig do wetsuit hire and sale, and you get to practice your OW too.

Thorpe lake, shepperton lake, Mytchett Quays, Liquid leisure at Datchet, Heron Lake nearby, loads of them. ANd plenty of middle age short arses on here as well.

12/05/2013 at 19:44

Thanks dust boy, am travelling up from south Wales, bribing kids with day at legoland but do have relatives up that way so day might up might be an optionand 400m in freezing lake and public humiliation still better than lunch with mother in law!

Mr StOat    pirate
12/05/2013 at 20:07

Hallam, that would have been mrs Matt leaving T2

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.