Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,781 to 8,800 of 15,830 messages
13/05/2013 at 08:50

Aw great reports Hallam, Steady, Dawn and Emma. Just brilliant to hear you guys rocking it! Well done to all of you. And no one was last - get in!

Ok, so Cotswold Supersprint... the main thing I was worried about was the weather. We had hideous rain and high winds Saturday but Sunday morning was beautiful. Sunshine and gentle breeze. Although getting up at 5am was unpleasant.
Setting up in transition was funny, lots of first timers checking how each other were setting up. Some people had so many different towels for different things. Did spend a lot of time checking out bikes with my partner in crime. He had already started his excuses, woke up with a sore throat, got cramp overnight and calf still tight - yeah yeah!

So swim; was late due to queus at portaloo. Hopped into the water, popped some water into the wetsuit and had a short lived acclimatisation. Left foot felt a bit sore but soon went numb! Stayed at the back for the swim which was a mistake. Couldnt get into my swimming. eventually things spread out and managed to pass a lot of people - yep I passed people! Out the water (not last) little bit dizzy headed to the bike. Swim done 11.04
T1 - was ages faffing. My OH keeping me motivated and updated. Will certainly set things up differently next time.
Bike; heading out got a heckle from who I presumed was Schmunks which boosted me no end. Struggled to get on the bike as left foot was completely numb. Once out really enjoyed it. Didnt realise how diddy my bike was until the big boys came flying past me. A few inclines which is where problems started. As soon as went onto small ring gears started slipping through. A BRAT informed me this is the derailleur needing adjusting, followed by a 'go on pirate'. Bike done 45.09.

13/05/2013 at 08:59

T2 - much better. Headed out to run. Left foot starting to really hurt. Annoyed with myself as should have talc'd socks and now have a blister. Run was hard. Not really been doing anything but a 11min/mile so was hoping for under 30min. Once got into running started to enjoy it, lots of 'jolly roger' and 'pirate' shouts. I love being a trainee pirate. Was waiting for my friend to catch me up, he eventually did about 300m from the finish. Was in a lot of pain with the foot by then. Crossed the line together and was just crazy chuffed. Just loved every minute. Run done 28.26 - woop woop.
Took my left shoe off and blood soaking my sock... it appears that I had cut it at the start of the swim. foot was so numb didnt really notice. It was about 2inches long and deep. Even more proud of myself. Off to clean the wound and dress it.
Overall time: 1:29:42 

13/05/2013 at 09:47

Great race reports!!! They've made me really jealous....

Hallam, Emma C, Dawn Shadow - well done completing your first tri! (I've only done one actually...)

Steady - well done sticking it out!

MrsDigger - well hard core racing with a cut!

Razor51    pirate
13/05/2013 at 15:09

Well done everyone for popping your Tri cherries. 

5.5mile easy run at lunchtime, first 2miles felt tough but settled down to an easy pace.

13/05/2013 at 17:22

Mrs D - I can't believe you cycled and ran in a cut foot - you are one tough cookie! Well done! 

13/05/2013 at 17:26

well done to everyone for the racing yesterday MrsD hope your foot is ok. 

started today feeling great and now have a headache sore throat and sore ear so no swimming tonight and an early night is on the cards. Wanted to have a good training week this week so hope it goes away quickly. 

13/05/2013 at 17:26

Go Mrs D!! You is hardcore! Good job Dawn Shadow and Emma C!  

Well having decided I there is just no getting round the fact that the only way I am going to get better and faster at hill climbing is to find some hills and climb them!  So I planned out a route to get to work that included some big hills and went out and biked to work. So 13 mile round trip full of hills for me!

Hope you feel better soon MC!

Edited: 13/05/2013 at 17:27
13/05/2013 at 17:27

buttercup - I need to do the same and get better at hills. Haven't managed to climb the damn hill on the outlaw half course yet. 

13/05/2013 at 17:31

Hubbie and I will be heading out to six hills on Sat morning for my first OW swim! Then on Sun Im going to try for a metric century following the supertour short course that Im going to do at the beginning of June - offer is still open if you want to come along  

13/05/2013 at 17:59

To all of you on your races and the excellent reports. Thoroughly enjoyed reading them. You did great and I hope you have been on a high all day. And lovely to hear your comments, thoughts and experiences.

Hope the vomiting ceases soon Emma

6 miles run this afternoon.

13/05/2013 at 18:16

buttercup - might join you for the swim, but I have masters swim session at 10:30 - I find it really useful to go to that. Am planning my bike ride for Sunday morning - will be attempting Oxton hill again, maybe even 2 laps of Oxton Hill if I am feeling brave

what is the supertour?

13/05/2013 at 18:22

http://www.itpevents.co.uk/events/the-hope-against-cancer-leicestershire-supertour.html

It's on my doorstep so it would be rude not to give it a go I'm doing the short route plus the 5km run around the Sutton Bonnington campus.

13/05/2013 at 18:38

looks good buttercup. Maybe next year for me - can't see myself being up to that a week after outlaw half, will probably want a weekend off

13/05/2013 at 18:42

Yeah I was going to suggest it but then thought you would probably want a wee rest after the busy weekend you're going to have!  I have signed up to volunteer for the OH so will yell loud when I see you and all the other pirates I have a good pair of lungs on me 

13/05/2013 at 20:11

All these place names making me feel very nostalgic - sure if I went back I wouldn't recognise the place and I suppose it was a different time in my life.

I reckon only way to justify a trip back would be to do a HIM - mmm how long would it take to train for that?

Get well soon MC - I'm not 100% few sniffles, sore throat abit glands up but nothing 'proper' seems to come of it. Hoping th chlorine will kill the bugs. Right not to swim with earache though MC very nasty they are.

Fingers crossed vomit has not reappeared today - waiti to hear from my sister whos waters have broken - Aunty again soon! 

13/05/2013 at 20:12

I am pants running or cycling up hills!

13/05/2013 at 20:21

Emma - you can train for the Outlaw half next year good to hear the vomiting has stopped, nothing worse than being up half the night clearing up puke. New babies are always lovely though. 

I have found out I am really pants at cycling up hills. I think it is because of my knee issues, so when I have been turboing all winter I haven't really cranked up the resistance so I haven't really built up as much as I could have. Oh well...

13/05/2013 at 20:26

Or the Wild Boar in September!! And it's flat we like flat

13/05/2013 at 20:26

Hi all, been along time. Sorry not read all way back so hi to newbies (probably not so new now ) made decision to start my own business at start of new year, so been flat out and no training so shelved outlaw. Just started back training when my Apendixe's burst on me very painfull and scary, rushed to hospital for quick surgery. That was 6 weeks ago still not able to train hoping to start back in couple weeks. 

How's everyone's training going? Mathschick you still doing Bosworth middle distance race? Anyone else? 

ST is back and needs motivation lol  

13/05/2013 at 20:43

Hey ST, nice to have you back! You've been missed. Exciting about the new venture. And hey, who needs an Appendix anyway! Motivation is here me dear! 

Right, off on holiday. See you guys in a week! Train well!!!!!!!!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.