Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,861 to 8,880 of 15,132 messages
15/05/2013 at 09:03

I'm 5'6.5" and about 60k - top size 8 ish and bottom size 10ish if that helps. I seem to be about size S in Orca but chap in the tri shop put me in a XS!

15/05/2013 at 12:39

HappyChap - I have to confess my eyes glazed over your post, but then I do all my training to a pink casio stopwatch when I remember to put it on!

Just to let folks know, the Outlaw Half have a few places left if you want to have a go. But you need to be quick cos the closing date is today.

http://www.tri247.com/article_11507_Very+last+chance+for+Outlaw+Half!.html?region_id&category

15/05/2013 at 12:49

Just looked and it is full - I can't believe I have only just completed my first triathlon and now a few days later I am looking at HIM!

Dustboy    pirate
15/05/2013 at 13:13

I have to hit lap on mine at beginning and end of T1 & T2 as well. Still haven't got it right though!.

Hoping to be back in the fold properly for end of season, possibly Southwater, maybe Crawley tri and hopefully Warwick tri. Fingers crossed.

15/05/2013 at 14:25

Where are you based Dustboy? I'll be marshalling at the Southwater relays. When is the Crawley Tri? Have you thought about the Christs Hospital Splash and dash?

Dustboy    pirate
15/05/2013 at 14:40

Based Woking. Crawley is week before Warwick, 22nd I think. Really enjoyed it last year despite awful weather.

Don't know owt about CH Splash & Dash. What is it? Southwater is hilarious, muddy women in rubber sliding about all over the place. LOL. Good spectating too and a great atmosphere, reasonable cheeseburgers. 

15/05/2013 at 15:12

I went up to see what the Southwater relays were about last year - really lovely relaxed atmosphere. The Splash and dash link is ..

http://triitsports.co.uk/event/christs-hospital-splash-and-dash/

Thought it looked nice and reasonably priced compared to others.

The relays are more staggered because they are team events so more like a pool tri. I think I'll be marshalling bike in/out transiiton. Good BBQ smells last year and a porridge van too!

15/05/2013 at 15:21

Chilibean, sorry for making your eyes glaze over and thank you Happychap. I needed the bit you put in capitals as important and thanks IronCat for telling me to hit lap then stop at the end to keep it all together. I might print the relevant bits out so I can remind myself the day before the race.

I keep hearing about Southwater relay and how good it is. Does anyone want to make a team up for it. I am not about on the date for the splash and dash.

15/05/2013 at 16:01

Managed 4 miles today at lunch time. Was going to go bit longer anyway but ended up going with the guys. Bit fast but managable. Have waited way too long to up the mileage. As long as I go slow it's all doable. Quads and hip abductors were feeling it in the last mile though due to the pace.

Edited: 15/05/2013 at 16:03
15/05/2013 at 17:51

Aw, I'm not ready for that yet, I am starting to work towards it though - plan is:

1. Transition from breast stroke to front crawl (I have a swim coach but that'll still take me ages).

2. Get a bike saddle that doesn't cause me grief - started already testing demo saddles.

3..Continue to extend my running - ongoing process.

4. Pretend I'm not really spending lots.

5. Hold on tightly to number 4.

Edited: 15/05/2013 at 17:51
15/05/2013 at 18:25

Cake will you and Bookie be supporting?

I am doing Outlaw Half and arriving Saturday leaving Monday unless I have a really bad day and go home Sunday evening.

15/05/2013 at 19:31

emma - my wetsuit is a Large - I am a size 14, although I am probably smaller now than when I bought it last year, but I haven't put it on yet this year to see whether it still fits hopefully it is still ok

had a good turbo session this evening to sufferfest's blender

15/05/2013 at 20:46

Good news talked to husband - Ive entered the little piglet and the wetsuit is next on the list - that orca from wiggle with piratey colours looks good.  

I will be supporting the run section of the half Outlaw - I promise to yell loud if you even vaguely look like a pirate!!

Swum 75 lengths in an hour - five more than last time which Im good with.

IronCat5    pirate
15/05/2013 at 21:01
SuckitupButterCup wrote (see)

Good news talked to husband - Ive entered the little piglet and the wetsuit is next on the list - that orca from wiggle with piratey colours looks good.  

I will be supporting the run section of the half Outlaw - I promise to yell loud if you even vaguely look like a pirate!!

Swum 75 lengths in an hour - five more than last time which Im good with.

w00p

My wetsuit shrank over winter The general guidance is if you take an hour to get in to it, and then can't breathe its the correct size. If you've stored your suit over the winter then soak it in the bath for a while before drying it out again, This will reduce the chance of it bursting and should swell it back to normal size.

Day#4 of the Tour of California - KOMs and sprints. Me and my turbo are now intimate.

15/05/2013 at 22:45

Cake I might need the drink on the run again.

Looking forward to being more sociable afterwards this time, last time it was getting late and by the time I had got back to the tent and sorted myself out I just went to sleep.

16/05/2013 at 07:47

well done buttercup

I have pirate kit so you will spot me on the run section

cat - do wetsuits shrink? mine has just been hanging on a hanger all winter

buttercup - you still planning on going to six hills on saturday for a swim?

Razor51    pirate
16/05/2013 at 08:48

Ran 7.5 miles last night in 1hr. 11 mins,no Horse ( he was working), no HR monitor just ran on on feel with my music. Had a great run 9.30 ish pace, felt that good I could have run it again

got in and found I no milkshakes so decided to make my own, a pint of semi skimmed milk and a good measure of Vimto, mmmmmm try it, I'm calling it " Wilky Milky Vimto"  do you think it will catch on?   

16/05/2013 at 09:07

Well done Razor - sound like a lovely run. Great to ditch the garmin every now and again!

Not so sure about the milkshake though sounds horrible!!

Monday managed a 4.9 mile run at about 9.30 pace - think that's what it was. Tuesday did 40 mins on a spink bike but struggled to keep in HR zone 2 so ended up being in HR zone 3 then a quick 1 mile trot after by way of a 'mini brick session'.

Swim session last night - didn't complete whole thing as tired but about 2k with sets of 10x50m FC, 10x50 Pull and 10x50 paddles.

Today a mini brick session, Friday eask 1600m and then rest sat as racing Sunday at local 10k race - v hilly.  5 year old is also doing his second 1 mile race - bless his stumpy little legs!

16/05/2013 at 09:08
mathschick wrote (see)

cat - do wetsuits shrink? mine has just been hanging on a hanger all winter

Edited: 16/05/2013 at 09:08
16/05/2013 at 09:08

Is that what happens to all my summer clothes over the winter too?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.