Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,901 to 8,920 of 17,571 messages
Razor51    pirate
19/05/2013 at 20:49

Your in the right place here mate, you will get lots advice and encouragement from peeps on here.

19/05/2013 at 20:56

Thanks. I'm joining my local tri club at the start of June. Just to see where I'm at fitness wise. Seems like a big step, as some of them were at our local Parkrun yesterday, and they left me absolutely for dead. 

19/05/2013 at 22:51

Welcome Steve!

20/05/2013 at 10:02

Morning!

Welcome Steve Great to have you join us.

I have to confess that I feel somewhat of a fraud, cos although I am doing tri training I actually don't have any races booked at all. Went through the events again the other evening trying to find one relatively close by on a Saturday, but failed Oh well, at least I'm staying fit and not spending any money lol!

20/05/2013 at 10:17

Chili how can you be a fraud?! Didn't you start this thread as a newbie like me and now are an experienced triathlete?!

Like with marathon running the marathon ius actually the easy bit (well I know it's very tough and for me takes longer than childbirth) its the training that is the killer. So if you are still training (and by the sounds of it a lot) then of course your are the real deal! x

Tris are a shock to me as I am used to pitching up on a village green paying a fiver and then plodding around the local fields/housing estates/footpaths etc. I nearly fainted when I saw how much a HIM and IM were. I can see why they are more and don't feel that it is a rip off but still so much more expensive and that's after the kit (still totally in love with my bike - although it remains ridden only twice!).

Warning boastful Mummy moment ... my 5 year old took part in a kids race on Sunday morning. He was nearly the smallest (a toddler was in the mix too) in a field of about 40 kids ranging from 3 - 15 years old. They all set off like they were doing the 50 yard dash and he got wiped out at about 15 metres, but got up, brushed himself down and got back on with catching up the rest of the field. In the end he was 5th out of 12 boys in the U8 category so would have been competing with 6 and 7 year olds. I am so proud of him - he didn't stop once and tried so hard! Boast over!

I did the 10k which was hilly with sections on muddy trail and field - not pretty- but a fraction faster than last year so not to bad. And there are even a couple of photos where I don't look like a sweaty warthog!

20/05/2013 at 10:38

Ahhh, but that is why I'm a fraud Emma - I have only done one complete Triathlon. Last year I did a 1.5k swim and ran the marathon leg of the Outlaw, but didn't do a complete tri. This year I was going to do Outlaw Half but pulled out cos of the surgery. In the meantime I have cycled to Cambridge and back and keep up with my swimming. And I'm hoping to do a marathon in Aug cos it's on a Saturday.

But both hubby and I work every Sunday. We get maybe 2 off each year for and there are no tris on the 25 Aug (which is the day after my marathon!). Oh yes, I am getting a 3rd Sunday off in Sept to go visit my brother in Berlin. Had hoped to combine it with the Berlin marathon but the event sold out in 3hours and I didn't get a place.

Mmm, now you've mentioned it a marathon takes me longer than childbirth too Lol!

Well done for your little lad! That is wonderful. And of course you can boast about your kids, they are worth boasting over!

20/05/2013 at 10:46

Chili I don't know how you do it! What you are doing sounds tougher than a triathlon!

You have bags more experience than I have (only riden my bike twice and haven't swum in anything but a pool!) and I appreciate your advice and support - so there! (Please take the positive stroke x).

Having Sunday's out is really difficult - I've only been running for about 3 1/2 years and for most of that time my OH was still playing football. He wouldn't dream of missing a match so I could compete/train with the club on a SUnday and that meant lots of juggling of childcare. I'm not very good at running on my own as I a) lack motivation and b) am so petrified of dogs that it really limits where I am able to run (basically my back garden!!!!). So this year has been so much easier and I've been able to compete in events without worrying about childcare so much. Unfortuneatly for my second triathlon he will be away working for the whole weekend - I am hoping his family will support us as mine already help out when I am at work and they are not in brilliant health.

My 8 year old will be doing a mini triathlon on 22nd June so more Mummy boasting then - you have all been warned! The 5 year old has gone to school with his medal on (so sweet! Hope it doesn't get lost!).

Edited: 20/05/2013 at 10:51
20/05/2013 at 11:23

No one's a fraud....except maybe me, I come on here though I'm hardly training. Not swam for ages either and no events booked.   But I enjoy reading about other's training and keeps me motivated to do the little bits I do do.

Back is still achy from last week's activities so I'll have to see what I can do this week.

20/05/2013 at 17:52

stop all the talk of fraud! No-one is a fraud, it doesn't matter whether you enter events or not really, or how much training you do or don't do. We all do what we can given our circumstances and this thread is great for motivation, inspiration, support and information.

emma - well done to your boy

Cortina5    pirate
20/05/2013 at 17:58

Welcome Steve.

Good effort EmmaC's boy. My kids are keen to do a scooterthon.

20/05/2013 at 18:35

5 mile hilly run. Nothing like having 2 daughters competing with you on their bikes to help you get a move on... ended up being fairly quick for me and, of course, I had to keep answering their conversation too!

20/05/2013 at 18:37

Well said MC.  Long bike to work this morning - legs weren't impressed went for a run after the bike home - the humidity made the run not that fun but I didn't stop and I ran the whole way so I am okay with that.

Well done EmmaC's wee boy! 

20/05/2013 at 18:40

Chili, I reckon your speed will soon increase with that sort of training.

So glad of a rest day today.

I have looked at the weather forecast for end of the month, does not look like a heatwave is going to arrive, more of the same type of weather, even my brother out in northern Canada has got similar, but at least he gets a proper hot summer in July and August. I think I will get out my thermals for the camping.

20/05/2013 at 18:43

steady - in a way I don't want it too hot for 2 June, but then again if it doesn't warm up the swim is going to be horrible

note to self - don't do ow tris early in the season - no time to get ow practice in!! I am liking the idea of wild boar more and more, all summer to get ow practice in and also more time for building up properly on the bike. Yeah, I have had all winter for that...

20/05/2013 at 21:10

I do not want it too hot during the day, but would prefer it if it is a bit warmer overnight. Also that might make the OW a bit warmer.

Yeah wild boar does seem a better idea.
Note to self remember to look up how far Nottingham is and the route needed. Last year I did my usual trick as a passenger and fell asleep after the M25 section  and only woke up for the services and again when off the motorway.

20/05/2013 at 21:43

it's blinkin' freezing up here in the cold wastes of Aberdeenshire.  I want a summer!!!

I'm taking it easy until thursday when I'm planning to cycle to the station (9 miles mostly downhill), get off the train a stop early and cycle to the office (7 miles flat), run a 10K at lunch time and then cycle home from the station (9 miles up hill). 

We had a post mortem about the weekend 10K race with the other runners in the office...we were shocked at the number of collapses and folk who ran until they needed medical treatment rather than walking a bit to recover...and cheered by the number of runners who stopped to help their fellow runners regardless of what it did to their times...there might be hope for our species yet...well...at least the ones who swim/cycle/run.

Cortina5    pirate
20/05/2013 at 21:50

I think in running & tri most, if not all people would stop and help, or atleast ask how they are.

I also ran today. First time in 2 weeks. 6km in 32 minutes all without any achilles pain. I'll run Wednesday too, but not too much as I have my first sprint tri of the year at Grendon on Sunday.

I also swam tonight. Meh.

21/05/2013 at 06:50

12 sleeps boys and girls - 12 sleeps 

21/05/2013 at 08:04

yesterday when I drove over to swimming I saw all the advance notice signs about the outlaw half. eeek

positive frame of mind - I will do my best, see how it turns out, train more and do wild boar in sept. I am trying to persuade OH that it would be a nice weekend away but he hasn't been convinced yet. It isn't too far for me to drive down on the day though

21/05/2013 at 09:53

Ooooo, it is so exciting!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.