Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

8,921 to 8,940 of 17,564 messages
21/05/2013 at 12:17

Ouch it was chilly in that lake this morning.  I didn't do much swimming and couldn't quite get the rhythm.  Only 5 sleeps left and 4 big breakfasts.  www.d2ride.co.uk

Razor51    pirate
21/05/2013 at 14:42

35 miles on the bike this morning, dull and overcast but the rain held off, bloody sun has just come out, done lots of miles on the bike these last 3 weeks and avg pace is improving now upto 16.1 mph on an undulating course.    Last week it was 14.8 on a tough hilly route, so happy with how things are going so far.  

ST.  How are your rest days coming on.  

Mathschick  ...you'll be fine don't panic just do what your doing, is it taper time now ?

Edited: 21/05/2013 at 14:43
21/05/2013 at 16:06

No one on here seems like a fraud to me, very concerned about the comparisons with childbirth as wasn't very brave at that either!

Took the plunge and hired a zone3 wetsuit as they seemed to do more flexible sizing. Well tried it on and top half of me looked like Lara croft and the bottom half like a pregnant sealion. Am assuming this is normal. Now just have to get up the courage to drive to Bristol to get it wet. Anyone know if there is a buddy system or anything as I am a bit worried about swimming alone the first time? 

21/05/2013 at 16:24

cake - think I will welcome the heckling on outlaw half day

emsi - YOU ARE NOT A FRAUD. Just go along to the ow venue and start talking to someone as you are getting sorted, tell them you are nervous and ask if they will keep an eye on you/swim the first lap with you. I am sure loads of people would be ok with that and help you out, and there will probably be loads of other first timers too.

off to the ow venue near here tonight, determined to get my head under the water tonight and swim properly

21/05/2013 at 16:36

emsi, I love your description of me in a wetsuit, its so accurate and normal. Let the organisers at the venue know you're there for the first time, they will help put you at ease and in fact will probably be grateful that you are up front about being first time. Do not worry about how far you swim, its getting used to wearing the wettie and the cold water.

Cake, it would be great if you're camping, mine is the tent that is tall and massive for one person.

eek, my number is up, its all officially looming large on the horizon now.
Are we now in taper, as work is being madness so a bit of taper madness will totally send me round the bend.

21/05/2013 at 17:02

Does anyone keep souvenirs of their races. I've only done two and I'm already building up a collection of race numbers and medals...although i was disappointed that sundays official race pictures are going to cost 20 quid each! I can't afford that!

Dustboy    pirate
21/05/2013 at 17:03

Emsi, don't drive in your wetsuit.

And yes, I have. Albeit only 1/4 of a mile. LOL.

21/05/2013 at 17:24

Pete - I keep medals (in a shoe box) and tech t-shirts. Mostly make do with homemade photos, but if they are not good enough I will purchase a pro one of a marathon.

Outlaw facebook page was listing some ex-hire wetsuits if anyone is still needing to purchase one

21/05/2013 at 18:52

Emsi, do you live near Bristol? I wish I could do front crawl and had a wetsuit and I'd be up for coming with you. Really need to sort that out!

Been still having back problems, went for a walk last night for an hour and it totally stiffened up. Feeling bit better today and will try a gentle jog tomorrow lunch time.

Getting really excited about your up-coming Outlaw half. I'm sure you've both done as much training as you can and you'll be just fine! Look forward to reading your race reports.

21/05/2013 at 19:15

Cake - I dont have any pirate gear yet so I will be wearing my "keep calm I'm a pirate" t shirt and arghhhing at the runners I will be biking up to the Outlaw half course so I will even get a bit of training in!

June/July is going to be busy!! Supporting at the half on the 2nd, Leicestershire Supertour on the 9th, The Little Piglet on the 16th - bit of a breather and then the Notts Big Swim and supporting the Pirates at the Outlaw on the 6th and 7th July...

21/05/2013 at 19:33

Wow, buttercup you will be busy supporting.

I keep my medals in a box, I still have the race number for last years relay Outlaw. The best idea seen for T shirts is to cut the front off and turn it into a quilt showing all the races done.

21/05/2013 at 19:37

Steady - I will be competing in the Supertour and The little Piglet and hopefully not drown on the Big Swim!!  Will be supporting the other two tho'

MC you're doing the Big Swim aren't you?  Anyone else?

Edited: 21/05/2013 at 19:38
21/05/2013 at 19:39

I say competing but more likely dragging my sorry arse around the courses trying not to look like a complete noob

21/05/2013 at 20:13

Emsi - you have OW related mail.

Oooooh Half Outlaw, how exciting! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Work has been crazy so training has had to go on hold, off to the gym tomorrow morning and have both a run and bike hill reps session booked in.  MTBing in the Forest of Dean this weekend though wooohooo!

21/05/2013 at 20:14

buttercup - yes, I think if we are volunteering on the pirate feed station we get free entry for the big swim

ok, went to the lake, was a bit warmer than saturday, thank goodness, someone from my tri club was there, so we went round together, stopping and chatting and doing a bit of breast stroke when we felt like it, so a leisurely affair but good for my confidence.

however, I think my wetsuit is uncomfortable and makes my arms ache, I am thinking of hiring one of the zone3 ones they have there next time just to see what the difference is

21/05/2013 at 20:18

MC have you got the armpit bits pulled up all the way? If the seams aren't in the right position you can end up working against the tension in the rubber which is knackering.

21/05/2013 at 20:20

Glad to hear it warmed up and you got some OW time! 

21/05/2013 at 20:22

ecoseal - oh, not sure  that could be the problem. How do you know when you have got everything pulled into the right place?

21/05/2013 at 20:25

Use the seams of the suit as a guide, and generally try and pull the crotch as high as it'll go, then keep pulling, work it up your body and make sure you pull the sleeves so the armpits are actually in your armpit rather than stretched so you 'cut the corner' as it were. . . . . . . hope that makes sense!

21/05/2013 at 20:33

yeah, I'll try that on Saturday morning when I can go again

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.