Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

9,381 to 9,400 of 15,499 messages
16/06/2013 at 15:03

Hi GG,

It was great to meet you before the race, and I'm glad you had a good one.  Good luck with the Oly next month.

LMH won!  And I managed not to get beat by LMH .  Plus I managed not to have to be coaxed back into the swim by the rescue canoe like I was last year.

It was also really nice to have a chat with Buttercup afterwards, while LMH was catching her breath.

16/06/2013 at 15:11

Well done Mark and LMH. What time did you both do it in? 

16/06/2013 at 15:25

Me 

Swim 37:09

T1 02:29

Cycle 01:23:26

T2 00:46

Run 47:30

Overall 02:51:23

LMH

Swim 36:17

T1 1:58

Cycle 1:25:53

T2 00:48

Run 48:23

Overall 2:53:22

So she was breathing down my neck on the run.

Don't beat yourself up about the times.  It was definitely breezy out there, which I think would have made a difference, I know everytime we hit a drag we seemed to have a headwind.  Plus, 9 minutes improvement on a slightly longer than sprint distance tri is a huge improvement, that's around nearly 10%.

16/06/2013 at 15:34

Lovely to meet Buttercup and Gravity Guy - sorry if I wasn't the most chatty before (pre-race nerves are quite bad) or afterwards (have to manage the asthma) - I do try, honest

GG - you did good! Apart from the run we were about the same speed all the way, my bike time was slightly down on the HIM I did here two years ago but it was definitely windier today. Why on earth did you take pro plus?!? Did you fuel on the bike at all?

16/06/2013 at 15:47

Well done all the racing snakes. GG the dizziness on exiting the swim may be down to not kicking with the legs enough the last hundred yards.

I went out with the running club and did 5 miles in just over 1 hour 10 mins, so not quick but amazed at my ability. The sore toe complained just after 4 miles and then the hip started hurting, so as soon as I got to 5 miles I walked the last little bit back to the car.

16/06/2013 at 15:48

it was an early start so thought it would help. Just made me jittery though! I only had isotonic drink on the bike as I didn't think the short distance warranted gels. I think it may have helped though as i was really feeling it towards the end of the ride,hey ho, live and learn. I don't think I could have kept that pace up for an oly, maybe in a few months though

I'm glad it's not only me that gets per race nerves!

16/06/2013 at 15:51
SteadyCJ wrote (see)

Well done all the racing snakes. GG the dizziness on exiting the swim may be down to not kicking with the legs enough the last hundred yards.

I went out with the running club and did 5 miles in just over 1 hour 10 mins, so not quick but amazed at my ability. The sore toe complained just after 4 miles and then the hip started hurting, so as soon as I got to 5 miles I walked the last little bit back to the car.

Never thought about kicking my legs, that would make sense. I think I just needed to calm down a bit on the swim too. Maybe that will come with race practice though

16/06/2013 at 16:00

never knew about kicking legs before the end of the swim

well done everyone, wow, LMH well done on your win

steady - well done on the run, glad your toe is healing

The Evil Pixie    pirate
16/06/2013 at 16:16

GG I would say the swim was adrenaline more than anything.

I thought the swim was long and my garmin recorded 1.3m for 2 laps!

Bike I did in 1:56 and the run 90mins

So Bike and run was IM pace

wasn't it windy?!

16/06/2013 at 16:21

well done EP - is it taper time now?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
16/06/2013 at 16:23

Oh God yes!

but 1st loads of school work which I should have done today instead of playing Pirates!

16/06/2013 at 16:24

Yes, well done pixie. will outlaw be your first iron distance or have you done others previously?

The Evil Pixie    pirate
16/06/2013 at 16:26

my 1st GG but I reliably informed by other Pirates that it won't be my last - we'll see! Need to survive this one 1st

16/06/2013 at 16:40

Well I woke hubby up at the crack of dawn, loaded the car and after having wee wibbles about the upcoming day hit the road bound for Market Bosworth.  First off I have to say I am so glad the rain stayed away – it was quite windy out on the bike course but you can’t have everything!  I also have to say GG I owe you a beer and I got no icecream – I feel robbed! I completed the little piggy in 2hrs almost on the dot and came 48th I think.

Swim:

This is what I had the most wibbles about prior but not one to back out of a challenge I lubed myself up to the eyeballs, squished myself into the wetsuit, felt like a sausage and got in the positively balmy 15C water awaiting the marshalls start.  I have to say not having ever swum any great distance in OW prior it showed and I got my a**e handed to me in quick fashion masses of weeds, almost being kicked in the face and not being able to keep my feet in the water when I was swimming leads me to believe that I need a lot more practice at this portion of the event!  I ended up doing a smoosh of BS and FC and exited the water dead last but I didn’t give up, just sucked it up and kept on going.  I knew once I hit the bike I would be fine – it was just getting there that was hard work – Man those buoys seemed so very far away!

Time: 29.27

T1:

Transition consisted of me pulling the wetsuit off in quick time, whacking my helmet on and donning the pirate shirt – it occurred to me as I was doing it that perhaps putting it on under my wettie would’ve been the better idea but eh live and learn.  I grabbed a banana, and a couple of gels and decided to forgo the armwarmers and the calve comp gear as they would’ve taken too long to get on.

Time: 3.58

Bike:

Really enjoyed the bike and since I was last I just went hell for leather and caught one guy but everyone else was already long gone – so it was almost like a nice wee bike ride out but with arrows   I really liked the course – could be quite a fast one come September which makes me happy!  There was a headwind for the first 8 or so km but I just put my head down and kept on going.  My average moving speed was 15.2mph so I’m happy with that – room for improvement!

Time: 51:50

T2:

Decided to forgo hat and comp gear just put on shoes quick as I could and got out of there.  So quickly I forgot to grab my garmin off the bike!

Time: 1:47

Run:

It took half a lap for my legs to get over themselves and just run but once they did it was a good run.  I enjoyed myself and although I have to say running on the grass isn’t what I’m used to I also got over that!  With no garmin telling me my heart rate I just figured I would run at a comfortable speed that I could finish without stopping.  I did have to stop once when I grabbed a drink I went to sip it and ended up wearing most of it I am soooo elegant – not!  I liked the flat flat course and that also bodes well for September!

Time: 33:24

So all in all for someone who has never done a tri before I think I did okay – my cycle and run times were a little slower than I was expecting but I think that was just a cumulative thing and I’m well sure I can improve on it.  Big takeaway message was that I need to get out in the OW and swim with the freaking fishes man!

16/06/2013 at 16:45

MC I may have to join you on a Tuesday night!

Really enjoyed meeting Mark and LMH – LMH you really are the shiz – running like a steam train!!  I saw EP as we were packing the car up and yelled out (she was just coming out of T2) go Pirate but I don’t know if she heard me – very focussed she was!  Missed out on seeing GG but never mind there is always next time piggies! Next time!

The Evil Pixie    pirate
16/06/2013 at 16:57

*waves* Last pirate standing! I'm the pirate in residence at the water park too!

That was a speedy bike you did! I hate the wind.

For Wild boar you do the bike course 4 times which is nice in that you know where the bumps and turns are. We don't, however, run round the lake - sorry. It's out the park turn RIGHT then up to the A444 and back twice - it's err lumpy but the marshals are awesome!

16/06/2013 at 17:02

Bugger nevermind will find me some hills to run up - I shall be like speedy gonzalez on downers  Will see you at Outlaw! Enjoy the taper EP!

16/06/2013 at 17:08

well done buttercup

I haven't been to six hills for a while - I have been going to a place near Lincoln, but I could always be persuaded to go back to six hills!

are there loads of weeds at Bosworth?

16/06/2013 at 17:16

It seemed like it but I don't know what is the usual amount of weeds I was thinking it might be smart planning to go to MB instead of Six Hills - would you be keen for that? Get used to the course and all

16/06/2013 at 17:21

Loads mathschick - it was the weediest I have ever known it today.

Well done Buttercup! The swim is the hardest if you don't come from a swimming background but I think it's worse for Ken really (my ex swim coach) as he swims like a fish then waits for everyone to catch him on the bike or run!

GG - you don't need much for a sprint but if you're going to be going flat out for an hour and a half either some carb drink/gels dissolved in water on the bike or a gel a couple of miles before T2 would probably stand you in good stead.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.