Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

9,581 to 9,600 of 17,569 messages
01/07/2013 at 16:52

ok, so ive taken mrs.digger's advice and taken a look at this thread.

im completely new to the triathlon world, so im looking for some practical advice on how a complete beginner can cross a finish line without having to be carried over it?

ta

01/07/2013 at 18:30

Welcome sjr71 - the secret is just to keep on going!!

Very warm run tonight 50 mins.  Pants swim last night 2.5k that took forever combination of 50m, very slow peeps and general lack of pool politeness - still I did it and then caught the bus home only to be told it would only be going half way home so I caught it anyway and walked the remainder home - I figured it was like Z1 brick

01/07/2013 at 18:54

just looking at the info for the swim on Saturday - 1.5k at Holme Pierrepoint and starting to worry that I might be last out of the water

ah well

5 mile run this morning, although knee now feeling a bit tender. Master swim session tonight. Going to be brave and change the wheel on the bike - put the turbo wheel back on ready for an early morning turbo. 

01/07/2013 at 19:15

Hahaha I too looked at it - we both can be last! First one on land shouts an icecream! I figure if I can get home in less time than it took the last person last year I will be happy

01/07/2013 at 21:55

didn't manage to loook at last year's results - got an error message. I am just so rubbish at swimming in a wetsuit!! I am blaming my wetsuit for this but am not prepared to buy another one this year, I might hire one at the ow place I go to one day just to see what the difference is though

changing the bike wheel wasn't as bad as I thought, difficult to get the wheel off but then easy to get it back on I need more practice though

01/07/2013 at 22:15

I don't think either of you speeding bullets will be last. I will attempt to be there in time to give you both ice creams!

well done JP for getting out there. Sometimes just pulling on the trainers is the tough bit.

Welcome Sjr71... Have you found an event or programme to set your sights?

been out on the bike, 80mins. Off to South Cerney tomorrow for a paddle. Really need to ramp up the bike! 

01/07/2013 at 23:31

Evening! Just a flying visit to see how everyone is holding up. i see Razor is leading the way as usual Well done!

And I have another proud boast. My girls are having a brilliant summer. This afternoon was another school sports day and my Big Girl came first in the 100m sprint! She even beat the lads!

02/07/2013 at 07:25

So i had my operation yesterday. One of the disadvantages of being reasonably fit is my low resting heart rate. They had to use drugs to keep it up and when i was back in the ward, my heart rate alarm was constantly going off sending nurses scurrying to my bed side.  Once i was more consious, i think they just switched it to the lowest alarm setting.

I've read all the reports of races and training and it kept me ticking over yesterday. 

Dustboy    pirate
02/07/2013 at 08:31

Rest well PITH. Don't overcook it

02/07/2013 at 11:29

Take care Pete. Rest well, recover well. xxx

Razor51    pirate
02/07/2013 at 11:35

Pete, hope all went well heal and rest up mate.

Razor51    pirate
02/07/2013 at 11:39

Chilli, great results from the mini chillies, looks like they will be giving you a run for your money in the near future. 

Are you supporting at Outlaw on Sunday?

02/07/2013 at 16:50

pete - hope the op went well, rest well and don't rush back to training until you are ready. Plenty of tour de france to watch on telly to keep you busy!

chili - your kids are great

can't believe how busy I am at work in July, anyway better go and do the bike session I didn't get out of bed for this morning!

Cortina5    pirate
02/07/2013 at 17:37

Rest up and heal well PITH!

02/07/2013 at 19:02

Take care PITHs get well soon

Chilli, well done to mini chillis

Sjr 71 welcome, I too am a complete novice, first race in 10 days, so please take any advice from me with a pinch of salt. Things I have learnt, good socks vital, running after cycling very hard, good bra vital but can be a trap! I think that is about it, good luck 

02/07/2013 at 19:33

EP - yes, I have some hugs ready. You won't need the slap. I too am looking forward to meeting everyone

02/07/2013 at 20:47

Those little chili's are certainly pulling it out the bag! You must be so chuffed!

Take it steady Pete, get we'll soon. Nothing worse than sedating fit people!

We'll be there for you EP, hugs galore. Positive thinking now... 

Swim at South Cerney done, 1500m. Pirate swim hat in situ. Was wicked. Open water has really got me enjoying the swimming. Looking forward to some shouting at the weekend 

02/07/2013 at 20:51

Oo Emsi, some wise words spoken there. Not long now, you'll be able to tell everyone you swam at the Olympic Rowing venue! 

02/07/2013 at 20:51

Ewww pre-prepared hugs nice Get well PITHy!! 1.75k swim tonight I cant do maths in the pool I thought 70 lengths was 1500 and was thinking I was a slowcoach today and I just managed to finish before the nippers go in the pool to train and kicked me out!  No run this morning -  will try and do a small run on Saturday morning.

02/07/2013 at 21:19

thanks everyone... I want to be back for my local triathlon on the 22nd September but this week I'll be mostly lying on the sofa trying not to move...

and following the outlaw online...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.