Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

9,661 to 9,680 of 17,571 messages
05/07/2013 at 19:00

chili - your girls are just amazing Bet she is so proud of herself. Well done on your long run in this heat

well, the outlaw bike course is all set up, just drove up and down oxton hill to take my eldest to scout camp - forgot his sleeping bag!! Felt so excited and nervous seeing all the signs up, just like I did in the lead up to the outlaw half, and I am not even doing the outlaw!!

Cortina5    pirate
05/07/2013 at 19:05

Team Chili done good again!

We had our school reports today and the kids also did well. very happy.

Plus i got another PB on the H10/2 course last night - 21s off my previous. I came 18th out of 58. It was also our club champs, so 6th of 20 in the club.

05/07/2013 at 19:12

cat - well done to you and your kids

Razor51    pirate
05/07/2013 at 23:03

(((((((Cake))))))) see you tomorrow mate

Dustboy    pirate
05/07/2013 at 23:17

Marshalling the Hurt tomorrow, race well all.

06/07/2013 at 09:59

Lovely day - am v. excited checked everything twice and I even shaved the legs Big Swim here we come!

06/07/2013 at 12:49

*Boing! Boing! Boing!* I'm so excited for the Pirates I can't sit still

Parkrun this morning. I was race director but my Big Girl decided that since she has had such a great week she might as well go for a PB as well. Her previous time was 26:59 so we asked around to find someone who was faster. Our friend Mikk is a 100club member and the 2013 European Veteran 55-60 Marathon Silver medalist. His ankle was hurting so he didn't want to go fast and offered to pace her. She did 25:22!!!!! 

06/07/2013 at 20:43

chili - your kids are brill!! Bet she is just glowing from her amazing week

had a great time this afternoon but it was just sooo hot, and so little shade to hide in! Met loads of pirates, loved the swim

Have made rock cakes to take with me tomorrow - feed station volunteers need feeding too!! Just testing one to make sure they are edible

06/07/2013 at 21:13

Well now I'm just jealous of the rock cakes

Good luck to all those racing tomorrow - don't forget the sun screen! 

06/07/2013 at 22:04

Good luck and have a good one Razzor Evil Pixie and Cake will be tracking you all wish I was there but TO BLOODY LAZY LOL. 

07/07/2013 at 22:03

Well done Razor

07/07/2013 at 23:35

i came onto the forum a week or so ago seeking advice from you friendly lot.

however, please tell me how do you all stay motivated trying to balance shift work and keeping the family happy with your training. its proving to be a difficult task!

im sure some of you can relate to my dilemma?  

08/07/2013 at 08:12

St - great to have you back again!!

Razor, cake, horse and everyone, well done. I am in awe of you all being able to keep moving in that heat.

sjr - I do most of my training in the early morning while the family are all asleep so they don't miss me!! Does mean that I fall asleep early in the evening but never mind, at least I am at home in the evenings even if I am asleep!

in terms of motivation I generally enjoy my training, having a race to aim for helps, but I do get pleasure just from training

08/07/2013 at 08:14

oh, buttercup and MrsD - really enjoyed meeting you and your OHs, loved doing the feedstation and thoroughly enjoyed the weekend. I would totally love it if you still both fancy doing a relay team next year - I promise to try to learn to swim in a straight line to make me quicker out of the water - I bet that would bring a better time improvement than improving my actual swimming!! Yesterday when I saw the relay teams all running up the finish chute together I had a mental picture of the 3 of us running up there next year!

08/07/2013 at 08:44

Sjr .....Absolutely, you have all my sympathy (2 young kids, full time job, on call rota and can't cycle to work myself).

I was running regularly (well shuffling) but have found balancing 3 disciplines hard, the pool is never open when I am free! The answer for me is to set realistic goals, e.g.Exercising three times a week, and not beating myself up if I can't due to things beyond my control.

I would have been faster in my twenties as I would have been younger, thinner and had so much more time. All I do now is the best I can, and I have to rein in the competitive genes. Getting to the start an achievement as it means you have already worked hard. And it is already far better than 70% of the country.

Dont beat yourself up this is supposed to be fun 

All those at outlaw, hope you ar feeling ok god it was so hot, 

08/07/2013 at 09:02

MC as far as I'm concerned it's a date I'm pretty sure I swam more than 1500m on Saturday - I couldn't find the damned black lines!  Husband enjoyed himself and has taken his new 'outlaw cup' to work for his coffee

Sjr - I sat down with husband and explained what I would have to do to make it to the finish line of the HIM I entered.  We agreed to it before I started and laid it all out so he knew what to expect. I have one complete rest day in the week usually either Sat or Sun when I do the cleaning and hang out with hubby and Friday night is sacrosanct for us.

I'm generally awake at 5ish in the morning so he is used to me being awake then - I go for a run in the mornings 2 to 3 times a week (a long run on a monday afternoon) and swim in the late afternoons/early evening as that is just when I can get to the pool.  I like to bike early on weekend morning it's just so much nicer getting out early you can bang out 3 - 5 hr bike ride in time to get home to husband cooking brunch.  I also bike to work 4 to 5 times a week.  

It helps that we have kinda taken the approach where I will do what I need to do to get me to the finish line (even if it just means gritting my teeth and just not quitting) and he will do what it takes to get me to the venue and home again in one piece  

08/07/2013 at 09:06

It is a difficult task. I'm lucky no children and a very supportive OH. I do however struggle with the shift work and training. I find I am soooo tired after work some days the thought of popping out for a run soon becomes a chore. Early mornings work but if you're on shifts it's likely not a 9am start! I tend to do early am bikes on days off. Swim on way to work on a late. Run on the earlies after step son and OH have been fed. Have a chat with your OH see if between you a plan forms. Make sure you throw in that you're happier when training and some pampering for OH will happen 

Top weekend at Outlaw, left shoulder aching. Have tan lines on feet. So smashing to meet everyone. I'm up for relay next year Maths - what could possibly go wrong

08/07/2013 at 09:09

Congrats to Razor, Horse, Cake + Sarah and all that made it in that heat - am in awe! 

Get in there PIRATES!!!!!!!!!!

08/07/2013 at 09:09

Oo howdy ST, we were only talking about you Sat.

08/07/2013 at 09:11

Mrsd - nothing could go wrong!!! Someone will have to think of a good team name though, I am rubbish at thinking of names (you may be able to tell by my boring forum name!!)

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.