Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

9,681 to 9,700 of 17,573 messages
08/07/2013 at 09:18

I must admit I liked team name Flounder, push and hobble! But already taken.

So nice to see you and Buttercup. Always nice to put a face to a name. Had soooo much fun!

08/07/2013 at 09:21

Don't worry hubby & I shall brainstorm a bit and get back to you about the name I now have an excuse to try and get some new wheels they'll end up being just as much as the freaking bike by the time I get two of them!! Oh and I was looking at the Outlaw pix and saw one of the teams on there and I was like I really don't remember any of their faces from yesterday, but I remembered the bike!! It was pretty

08/07/2013 at 09:24

always good to involve your hubby buttercup - make him feel useful and part of the team

oops, better get on with work now

08/07/2013 at 09:30

If it helps Buttercup Mark says that he has found the same wheels that I use for racing now for £450 - if you're interested let me know and I'll find out where from.

08/07/2013 at 09:38

hope I didn't sound a bit dismissive of the value of husbands there, but you may have noticed that mine is never at any events or anything with me he does look after the kids though so I can get out....

08/07/2013 at 09:49

You got us Maths! We can be your tri family and you still have a responsible adult for the children. Don't expect responsible adults here though.

08/07/2013 at 09:54

no, what I need is someone that will encourage me to keep going when I look rough, I think my OH would just tell me to stop!

08/07/2013 at 10:10

Yayayay tri whanau!! (whanau (fah-no) means family) and don't worry mathschick will kick you up the bum and tell you to keep on going THIS IS NOT A KNITTING CLUB!!

Funnily enough there was an athlete towards the end who said he'd had enough and he was looking into finding a knitting club! I asked him if he was sure as those knitting peeps where a bit scarey

Ta for thinking of me LMH but I wont be getting them till around christmas or bday as they will be a save up for them kinda purchase  some bars are first tho' before the Wild Boar.

Edited: 08/07/2013 at 10:11
08/07/2013 at 10:51

Sounds like a brilliant day yesterday and I can't wait for the race reports

How did the swim go on Saturday?

ST - you keep disappearing on us! How's things? Are you still going the half in Sept?

sjr71 - It's tough. I have 4 primary school aged kids, 2 jobs, and am studying for a degree. Fortunately my hubby is very supportive and realises just how much run/bike/swim means to me. I also include the family as much as possible and my kids consider themselves to be atheletes too. So we all do parkrun together on a Sat morning. This is usually recovery run for me.

On a Fri after school I have a weekly date with one of my girls and I do a long run whilst she cycles beside me. Other runs are often done in the evening when I make dinner, leave it with hubby to dish up to the kids and go out for 5 miles, come home to eat before either he or I are at work in evenings.

Swim is only once a week at a lunch time when I do a mile in about 45mins.

Cycling is the hardest challenge for me. Rarely more than 20 miles at a time. But we also go out as a family (me towing the 6yr old) on a Saturday or during school hols. I would really recommend getting your kids involved if you can. My girls are now winning school races simply cos they are fitter than all their class mates. My 3 big girls have asked if they can do a kids tri training camp this summer.

08/07/2013 at 10:53

But I like knitting! It's the most patient thing I do. My friends laugh cos I take my knitting bag round to their house when I visit cos it's the only way I can sit still

08/07/2013 at 10:58

it's funny because a good friend of mine is an excellent knitter - everytime I try to knit I just get big holes in it riding the bike is easier!!

08/07/2013 at 16:32

Hope everyone that did Outlaw is well and pleased with their efforts.

Chili - your girls beaten my parkrun PB... Well done!

Cake - (((hugs)))

Had a lovely chilled out weekend in Gower and finally did some mtb'ing! Nothing went to plan though. One of the guys faffed so much we left couple of hours late and suffered in the midday heat; bf's chain snapped going uphill but thankfully came across a guy who had the right tool. Then went off route and were in a middle of a heather field with no breeze and water running low. Got back though and then I had a horrible hayfever attack that didn't get better untill got back home 3 hours later. Didn't sleep well and woke up about 4 and took another antihistamine which has seen me through today ok. Bike ride was lovely though and the views on the coast of Gower amazing!

08/07/2013 at 20:19

No wild boar racing its day after school reunion could drag myself down there to watch and get some fresh airI only just got back into training and going for my first swimsincere last August on wednesday (OW) sorry did I say swim I ment splash I do like the look of the Sandman Triathlon in September though. Maybe I should get the swim out the way on Wednesday first 

Hope it was nice things about me on Saturday

08/07/2013 at 20:48

Mikasa - sounds fun (apart from the bike breakdown )

ST - enjoy your swim

5 mile run this evening. And I'm very excited for tomorrow. My first event of the year! A short aquathon here in my town. Am so looking forward to it.

08/07/2013 at 20:57

Go Chili!! Good luck for your swim  

ST - any support on the day will be taken gratefully

Mikasa - good job on the mtb ride!

Nothing for me today I swapped my rest day around since I knew I was going to be tired today - taking the day off was a good idea as well.  Back into it tomorrow!

08/07/2013 at 21:03

chili - good luck for tomorrow

mikasa - well done on the biking. Hayfever seems to be worse than ever for most people this year.

buttercup - I am having a rest day too, but was at work and maybe a bit grumpier than normal with the kids!!

08/07/2013 at 22:02

Have fun Chilli  

Cake    pirate
09/07/2013 at 01:11

It was a bit hot the other day. 

Still was good to meet some lovely nutter's and hope your all ok and not got sun stroke. (((((big hugs))))))

sjr71 wrote (see)

i came onto the forum a week or so ago seeking advice from you friendly lot.

however, please tell me how do you all stay motivated trying to balance shift work and keeping the family happy with your training. its proving to be a difficult task!

im sure some of you can relate to my dilemma?  

For shift work try and train smart when you can and fit in training when practical and not just do junk miles. Basicly if you have the option of training x miles a week badly or y miles a week well go for y. For the family explain why youn want to do it and try and involve them when you can and when they want to play.

Most inportantly enjoy it thatsw the best way to stay motivated. If you need a kick up the bum come on here and stare bad jokes.

09/07/2013 at 08:40

Cake! You did it! Well done  

I think you are pictured in this blog photography

Thanks ST

Cake    pirate
09/07/2013 at 11:32

Christ look at that belly.  

I know exactly what I was doing in that photo I was talking to sarah though the bar's of T1 just before she started the swim. I can put it on this thread as she doesn't read it much I was bricking it for her and all the way through sunday all I could think of was I don't want to let sarah down. She wouldn't have got a medel if I had missed the cut off.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.