Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

81 to 100 of 15,607 messages
22/01/2011 at 10:44

Welcome Razor  - hope your knee heals soon. Great to have you join us.

Welcome Jevans - you seem pretty well on your way to covering all the distances already. I think the ironman lurkers on here would approve of your booked tris.

Am very envious of you doing the Trentham Tri. I used to live in Stoke just a mile away from Trentham Gardens - the one bright spot in the whole area. We watched them transform the place and that is where I've been this week. Would love to go back for a tri.

Well, I think I'm a step closer to becoming a Pirate. My present this morning was two pirate water bottles! Probably the only bit of pirate kit I shall ever own considering the prices. My little girles think they are awful and can't understand why anyone would want something that colour yellow, let alone with a skull and crossbones on it!

PSC    pirate
22/01/2011 at 11:31

there is something about the kit that makes everyone in the world want to support you and yell out "go on Pirate - Argggghhhhhhhhhhhh"

If you think too long n hard about it - it won't happen.  JFDI.................

22/01/2011 at 21:29

Evening

Had a really fun day. Went with the family to a posh health club, courtsey of them having an open day. Did a 30min body pump class and then 30min Combat class. That was excellent! grinning like this the whole way through the punches and karate kicks.

Then took my girlies into the pool whilst my hubby went to the gym. My big girl (who is the runner) has only swam about 10m. I told her that to do a kiddies tri she would need to swim 50m without stopping. "I can do that", she said. The determination on her face! She doggy paddled the whole 50m without stopping. I am so proud of her. But how on earth am I now going to keep her away from tri's!?!?!? And my twins are planning how they can do a relay!

Kanga M    pirate
22/01/2011 at 21:37
Buy them Pirate water bottles as well, my little bloke nicked one of mine as his Year 1 school water bottle
23/01/2011 at 11:13
How old is she? Maybe you should just give in to her? There are worse things to want to do.
23/01/2011 at 16:47

I did lots of cycling training before my  first Sprint Tri - 30k + hard bike rides at 30kph plus, 10k fast runs (40 mins), 1k hard swims (all hard for me!)..... BUT the bit of training I found most useful was to do with transitions. My Ironman mate recommended to me doing this bike/run brick:

Start at home - 3k loop ride (fast/sprinty), end back at home. Immediately into 1k fast run (stuff left in my garden as a transition zone!) loop out and back home. Repeat whole thing twice (s o you do it 3 times in all). Next time you do it, 4 times, and so on.

Helped me deal with changing equipment while out of breath, peeling off bike shoes, squeezing on run shoes (I love lock laces). Also helped me decide how I wanted to lay my stuff out on the floor in transition for easy access. Really useful! Hope this helps!

23/01/2011 at 17:21
I keep seeing "JFDI" on Tri threads. If ever there were a moto, that is clearly it!!! I had a lot of that on a couple of threads when I couldn't decide on venues because I wanted to know more about organisation and time scales for training.... ChiliBean - have you registered with your tri yet? Why don't you do Trentham if you know the area? They have a range of distances....

Loving the mini-triathletes! Lance Armstrong and Nike have a range of bike wear that has the strap line "wear yellow" or something. I am very proud of my beautiful bright yellow crop vest!

Training thoroughly hampered this weekend though due to my novice nature... I went out for a 20 mile ride with a view to meeting a friend at the gym for a 1k swim. But when I took my bike out the shed, the rear wheel seemed to have lost some air. So pump-pump, happy days, but I thought I should check it 5 miles in. I did, and it seemed fine. Happy days. Another 3 miles in, check it. Hm. Pump-pump. Bugger. valve snapped off. Still, there is air in the tyre, I'll just head home.

2 miles later I could feel every lump and bump so I thought I'd have to try and pump it up, but in trying, deflated the tyre completely. 7 miles from home. No puncture repair kit, no replacement tube... I tried to pump up and a friendly cyclist stopped by and offered to go and get a spare tube, but I figured I'd work something out. To top it all off amongst all the faffing, my front light switch broke. So it wasn't a very good day really.

Apart from my friend calling me completely out of the blue and offering to come to my rescue without quibble. Lovely friend!

But now I am really ill. Had a funny throat thing going on anyway, but now have a grotty head cold too and it is taking all my energy to stay awake. Will probably have to take another couple of days off before I manage anything else now. Things were going so well, too!

How has everyone elses weekends been?
Razor51    pirate
23/01/2011 at 19:05

Hi Gang,

JEvaNs........Sorry to here about the bike spoiling your day, think you had better get tucked up with some Lemsip or something to get rid of that cold.

Things seem to be going ok for me at the moment, went for a ride out on the bike this morning (22 miles)  and the knee is doing ok ,no problems, I will go for a run or swim tomorrow. (it will proberbly be a run because I can try out my new trainers that I bought today).

Good routine Ginger .........as long as nobody nicks yer bike whilst your running lol.

Chilibean .......sounds like Triathalon is in the Genes.

23/01/2011 at 19:17
Thanks Razor. Am jealous of your 22 miles and your new trainers. I bought a Nike baselayer (that doesn't look much like a baselayer) for £10 yesterday, but it isn't as exciting as new trainers!

Full steam ahead on the lemsips...
23/01/2011 at 19:53

Evening

Ouch Jevans! - Sounds a rough ride. Ummm, does it help that I shall learn from your example and think I'd better learn how to change a tyre and make sure I take the stuff with me!

Ginger - your tip sounds painful! But yes, I can see how that would also be really painful.

Razor - Nice bike riding

I'm too sore after yesterday and too few hours sleep last night due to a feverish Smidge in my bed. So I decided to give it a miss. Will be back into it tomorrow.

My big girl is 8. She is the one who got me into running. She is very highly strung and in most things will crumble like a biscuit when under pressure of something that she is not sure about. However, she really is an excellent runner and that has built up her self-confidence no end. Why do i hesitate to let her do tri? Cos she is already running 5k Parkrun every other week and I don't want to push her too much. Even though I am not a pushy parent and this is definitely her desire.

Then there is the training issue. She doesn't have swimming lessons because we simply can't afford the London prices of £82 a term (we have 4 kids). Our local pool is very family unfriendly and the public times are weird. So improving her swimming will be a bit of a chalenge. And then there is fitting in her training (cos of course she is too young to go out on her own) when i'm struggling to do mine! (On top of three other children a part time job and voluntary work)

Sorry, a bit of a ramble. I just have to get my head round the practicalites. I don't know any other kids who do tri's. Anyone got any tips?

23/01/2011 at 20:08
I'm getting some new trainers on Friday hoping it will give me a lift.

My training went pear shaped when I got a call from friend midday, he had some spare VIP tickets to watch the Tigers (Leicester Tigers Rugby Team) which I couldn't turn down but ment missing out on my planned bike/run brick session and a swim with Tri club. Tigers won and are through in Heineken cup Quarters will do session tomorrow (brick session)
23/01/2011 at 20:28
Hi Chillibean

I to have 4 kids and my oldest is 11 year old girl who does Dancing which cost loads £60+ month 9 year old Boy football and rugby 5 year old boy football and gymnastics and a 3 year old girl Dancing to. So I feel your pain lol

Training for your 8 year old to be honest at this stage I would look to see if you can find any events for her first. Then plan around them, you take on roll as coach for now and take her out and do some small runs with her (I do speed training with my 9 year old boy, I do full lenth of football pitch he Times me then he does half pitch and I time him) swimming wise do the same get her up to swimming double distance so she will be confident come race time (50 meters do 100 meters)

I know this might eat into your training time but will be worth it

Or just tell her no and she will stop crying after a week or two

I'm not serious about the last one lol defiantly look to see what races out there first.
Razor51    pirate
23/01/2011 at 21:39

Jevans........adidas base layers at Sports Direct £18.99.long sleeves, £14.99. short sleeves, check em out

23/01/2011 at 23:39

When I signed up, I noticed that the Crystal Palace Tri has kids' races.

Maybe minichilli wouldn't need that much training other than swimming, if she's already a good runner? The cycle and run legs are very short.

I guess it partially depends if you think she's likely to get upset if she struggles with it, as well as on the swimming practicalities.

24/01/2011 at 15:25
Chili - learn away! I know I have! Last time I changed a tube/fixed a puncture it took about 2 hours, so I definitely have some practising to do.

ST - Oh dear. With Tigers making it through, it sounds like you may end up risking further important training sessions! Hope you managed to get your brick in elsewhere.

Still poorly today so am off work feeling sorry for myself. Euurrgghh....

24/01/2011 at 18:11

Had first physio session - ouch it hurt, but has done some good, bit more flexing in the wrist, loads of exercises to do.

Cycled 1:15 on bike, listened to David Bowie greatest hits, not bad but will go back to Queen or U2 for my faster session.

24/01/2011 at 19:12

Decent kit from Start Fitness online too - check out the More Mile stuff - Tri tops, shorts and suits, all good price and decent quality too. I'm not on comission by the way!

Did the Chernobyl 10k yesterday in Preston - full of a cold, felt crappy (get my excuses in early) but still managed 44mins - quite happy with that. Stiff today, although icy bath when I got home helped a lot.

Planning next race now - aiming for a 10K in Feb, then a Half marathon in March. Sprint TRi in March too, probably Ribby Hall in Lancs. Was planning to do Blackpool marathon too - heard its been cancelled???

24/01/2011 at 19:22

Hi

Thanks ST. I guess it is doable- as I mentioned it is getting my head round it that is the difficult bit. As I am typing this I can hear her in the bath singing and talking to herself and practising going under water for when she does her triathlon! LOL. My 3yr old Smidge has just gone in and announced that the bath doesn't look like a swimming pool and so she can't be swimming. LOL Oh this is so funny...

I shall see if I can find to local kids races.

Steady - hope your wrist heals up fast.

Another terrible night with a feverish Smidge. Am so tired I could cry but didn't want to miss another day of training so have just done 10miles of hills on the bike. First ride in the dark. I have lights and high vis vest but still found it scary.

Razor51    pirate
24/01/2011 at 19:47

Gingergav .................which half marathon are you doing and which Sprint is that in March?

44min for 10k when your feeling crap.... not bad in my books mate, well done.

Edited: 24/01/2011 at 19:57
25/01/2011 at 08:09
Gingergav - 44 min for 10k is only in my dreams, i'm more like one hour, so well done, recover well.
81 to 100 of 15,607 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.