Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

10,801 to 10,820 of 17,569 messages
12/09/2013 at 22:16

You got out there Pete, thats what matters. I know what you mean about having your flow interrupted though. 

Mikasa, the swimming will come. I couldn't do 50m front crawl. 

Hopefully the weather won't ruin the weekend trips out!

Look after yourself Buttercup... Probably quite run down.

Not a bad day, lots of running around and needles really!

13/09/2013 at 07:12

Chili, well done on your run! I think you will rock the ultra as well.

MrsDigger, your day doesn't sound so great but hopefully you'll get sorted soon.

I tried to use that float you put between your legs (can't remember what it's called) but couldn't use it properly as never used one so I was just drowning with it, I think it was too small for me. Mine wasn't the worst fc I saw in the pool though, only the second worst.  And what is it with people doing back stroke but with both arms at the same time? Is that some kind of new thing I'm not aware of?

No biking today either for me, actually no exercise as work outing tonight. Weekend is taking as well so I'll wish good training to everyone else!

13/09/2013 at 07:30

Thank you ButterCup for mentioning me - and everyone else for the good wishes - looking at the weather forecast I'm going to need them!

mikasa - any size pull buoy should be fine, I think there are only two and not a huge difference between them - the trick is to have it as far up into your crotch as you can and keep your legs together and still to hold it there. You may have to adjust it on the turns at first until you get used to it. Do you think that your legs are sinking and affecting your stroke? If so try to keep your head lower in the water to counteract this, suck your abs in and clench your butt cheeks - all round workout as a side effect

Hope Mrs D gets good results from all the tests and that those on the injury bench or hovering nearby make their way off it soon.

13/09/2013 at 07:39

Mikasa, the stroke you describe is called old English backstroke. It is a valid stroke in masters swim competitions and is great at the end of a session as part of the cool down as it reverses the arms from all the fc. The leg kick for it is either dolphin style ie butterfly kick but on your back or normal backstroke kick. I find it great as a way of unwinding the shoulders.

13/09/2013 at 08:07

I think I might sink if I tried to do backstroke with both arms at once mind you, my backstroke has been improving and I can almost keep up with other people when we do it now at the masters swim sessions

anyway, I am trying to quickly prepare today's lessons so I better carry on with that

13/09/2013 at 08:23

Oo forgot to say Good Luck to HIM - woop woop! 

13/09/2013 at 08:23

I know nothing about swimming - sorry!

13/09/2013 at 08:35

Steady - thanks for correcting me, I was not aware of that stroke. The problem was, the guy that was doing it was as good at it as at fc and I was better than him at the fc...

LMH - Thanks for the information. I did not have the float that far up, sort of mid to high thigh. To be honest, I'm not really sure exactly what I'm doing wrong. I don't think I've ever been taught fc. When I get down to Southampton for good, I'm going to get some lessons as want to learn it this winter. I have the Total Immersion book but have not read all of it yet.

Also, what is Master's swim sessions? How good do you have to be to participate?

I think learning fc will be my main focus for the winter period. When does winterswim start?

Edited: 13/09/2013 at 08:35
13/09/2013 at 08:45

mikasa - it may be worth looking at the swimsmooth website as they demonstrate things very well which I find easier than trying to match a written description to what I'm doing.

I didn't know that Steady - thank you.

13/09/2013 at 17:35

Well this week has been a bit of a blow out in terms of training - however Im feeling better still coughie but hardly sniffy at all and more energy!  Apparently I perked up today - yesterday was a particularly energyless day.  So other than bodypump tomorrow I will be doing not a thing until Monday when I start running properly again

13/09/2013 at 17:40

buttercup - I haven't been doing much at all either, and today haven't done anything but work, I have just been shattered and today my knee felt a bit niggly so decided better not do anything

13/09/2013 at 17:48

I will join you guys in the energyless stakes. Just went running, managed 15mins and stopped because almost passed out a couple of times. This sucks! Hopefully a 'phase'. 

Glad your not so 'coughie' Buttercup. Keep looking after the knee Maths! We got stuff to do next year 

13/09/2013 at 17:53

yeah we have, so long as I can swim and bike well I can walk the runs though

you look after yourself too - get plenty of rest

13/09/2013 at 18:16

Gee aren't we just the walking wounded I have to get better I have the Royal Parks HM on the 6th of Oct! Careful chook you will have to start running in a blow up sumo suit and a bike helmet

Dont worry ladies we have 8 months to fill our boots with 'healthy'

Edited: 13/09/2013 at 18:16
13/09/2013 at 18:51

only 8 months??? blimey I better get back at it!

13/09/2013 at 19:43

oddly, I have a reverse injury... my knee hurts all day apart from when I run...I know, it doesn't make any sense, but that's the way of it...

I am going to get up early tomorrow and cycle before the family awake and then we've got sauna and swim over lunch time... and then sunday is my brat's birthday so lots of cake then fasting after 8pm as on Monday I've got to give blood for my works voluntary health screening...Actually, I think they weight me too...perhaps not too much cake on sunday...

13/09/2013 at 22:10

Hope everyone feels better soon

Steady - that is very interesting about backstroke. Also explains why I have seen some elderly folk swim like that.

All the best for this weekend Little Miss Happy!

14/09/2013 at 07:53

morning everyone

need to find a bit of time today to catch up with the forum - there must be race reports from IM Wales that I haven't read - didn't dare let myself start reading them because I would never have planned any lessons

14/09/2013 at 08:01

Hahaha - I'm up and have gym shorts on - will be out the door soon! There is a bodypump class with my name on it! Just need to finish my cup of tea

14/09/2013 at 08:08

I thought you were doing nothing this weekend???

10,801 to 10,820 of 17,569 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.