Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

11,121 to 11,140 of 15,593 messages
26/09/2013 at 17:04

I found it hard to run yesterday and blamed the weather.
Today I went out on the hybrid for a little while once it came back from the service, it felt really good to get off road for a bit whilst the sun was shining, now I have to do a bit more work though.

I feel the need to start making a proper plan for training for the winter and a rough plan for next year, I fear I will just do a bit and not make enough progress.

26/09/2013 at 17:13

Steady - I really need to make some plans as well. There's a 10k Santa Run close to the area on 15th December, thinking about entering that as a start for my running. Still need to find swimming lessions as well. I think definitely an olympic distance tri next year and maybe HIM. 

What sort of plans are you thinking for next year?

26/09/2013 at 17:24

I definitely found it harder to run earlier in the week I think it was a combo of humidity and the manflu sore calf I have aggrevated.

Cake it's the Heanor running club pudding run 23rd November.  MC nothing wrong with Prague I had just got myself psyched up for the pudding run and now I cant do it! 

Have to find something else to do.  Am going to do the Shepshed 10k at beginning of November - onwards and upwards and all that.

Off to swimming with the MC whilst husband bakes a cake for my last day at work tomorrow!

26/09/2013 at 17:35

Steady - have you any events planned? That's the easiest way to get training sorted.

Mikasa - Which Santa 10k are you looking at doing? 

26/09/2013 at 17:39

glad it is not just me finding running hard this week so hard I didn't get up for it this morning (actually I woke with a bit of a headache so spent the hour in bed)

OK, I love being a teacher, yes it is bloody hard work and can be stressful, the kids at school aren''t as annoying as the ones at home (at home there is the emotional attachment thing that means if they misbehave etc it is all my fault but at school I can blame the parents), nothing as satisfying as seeing a kid that has struggled achieve something though, and over the years I have had some lovely letter of thanks from kids (ok, not many but the few I have I treasure)

ok, doing that manic Thursday rush around trying to feed myself, cook for kids and getting swimming stuff ready in less than an hour! Off swimming with buttercup

oh, enjoy your last day buttercup 

26/09/2013 at 17:49

oh, and I didn't get into VLM again, so can now start planning next Spring around not doing it!

26/09/2013 at 17:59

Rocco - the Portsmouth one on 15th of December. I think I need awhile to get back up to running 10k comfortably and that should give me enough time.

26/09/2013 at 18:18

I am doing and this time I plan on succeeding in completing the Outlaw Half, so the A race is 1 June 2014. I have become a creature of habit in entering races I like doing but fear that next year they will clash with what I need to be doing for O.H.

I found that following Fink's 30 week plan I got bored/CBA about week 15-20. I know that I need to build my speed on the bike and to finally get back to running with no walking unless going up a mountain.

Santa 10k sounds interesting, maybe I should have a December race to aim for? One that I did in the past gave out Xmas puds as prizes and mince pies to all finishers but that was a horribly hilly 10 miler on the coast.

Edited: 26/09/2013 at 18:19
26/09/2013 at 22:09

steady - yes we are both going to succeed in completing Outlaw half make sure you plan everything else around that so that the other stuff helps you to build to the outlaw half - so maybe a half marathon a month or so before? 10k before xmas - stuff like that

and it is all about the bike, so I am hoping to get at least 4 50 mile rides in before the big day

26/09/2013 at 22:16

Dont worry MC we will whip you into shipshape and I will pretend not to drown in the swim  

JP and Cake I will be there with Caz doing the supporty piratey thing - if your bacon sarnie goes missing it wasn't me 

27/09/2013 at 06:26

MC, Having done a hilly 56 miler, I plan on getting in at least 6 x 50 milers of varying hilliness, which is not difficult in the Surrey Hills.

I will enter some races and possibly do the DIY HIM weekend, or do you fancy doing a similar thing at some point.

Cake    pirate
27/09/2013 at 11:07

Buttercup excellent just in case because it's near the end of the session there might be some bargin's at the stall there.

For me next year is looking like doing the eirman race in Northern Ireland next august and some marathon's and a tri or two. Not planned out my year yet because sarah has a job in birmingham and need to work out where to live and stuff. The DIY half fall's on our wedding anerversary so probably taking sarah somewhere specail that weekend was going to be rotterdam marathon but she's injured and think that might make her sad a little.

27/09/2013 at 11:24

I liked Rotterdam! They have a really good Art Museum very chilled out - I love going to art museums on my travels Birmingham is so close!  The Midlands is where all the cool kids hangout any ways

27/09/2013 at 11:24

hmmm...my next race has snuck up on me.  A 12K hill race a week on sunday.  I thought I still had 2 weeks... I guess I need to do a couple of 10K's next week...and practise my downhill style... I'll be happy with a time of 1hr 20 for the race.

I bottled out of trying the clips on my bike today.  I'm getting up early tomorrow to test them on our quiet country roads...

27/09/2013 at 11:29

Just clip out before you get to the junctions Pete - otherwise it can get a bit hairy and stressful. I clip my left foot out that way I can put it down first.

Cake    pirate
27/09/2013 at 11:37

Pete if you can think to always unclip your left foot first you are going to make sure you don't get any bad habit's Most of the time you are going to be stopping and placing your foot on the kereb. cleat's are scary just take your time and get comfortable with them. Just make sure you don't end up being to scared to cycle through.

Buttercup Sarah is already talking about swiming in bosworth and around there next year chuck.

27/09/2013 at 12:15

swimming with the fishes!! 

27/09/2013 at 18:05

I have done another of these run/walk sessions. This time a more sensible 5 min run and 90 second walk, but I had to cut it short as the dreaded runners trots made an appearance and resulted in a hasty walk back home.

(Whispers) I may go rash and do a Parkrun in the morning.

Off out for dinner tonight so will be carbo loaded ready for it.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
27/09/2013 at 19:51

No VLM for me but another jacket to add to the collection

Boss is off for at least a week and I have THAT class. SLT have sat up and realised that when the HOD said they were awful he meant it .... and now he's off sick. Problem with being the HOD with a crap class is you can't send the kids to the HOD as it's you!

Several are being pulled from Monday's session for a speaking to it seems.

Tomorrow I'm off to the NEC for the cycle show with the intention of getting many freebies - just watch there be none now!

27/09/2013 at 19:57

pete - you just have to go out on the cleats, it isn't as bad as you might think! 

had a run this morning, and this evening have been busy sorting out getting youngest son to cub camp, which meant we ended up with pizza for tea, still don't like it though so didn't eat much of it. Have a strange craving for yoghurt but haven't got any 

will be parkrunning in the morning followed by swimming session

11,121 to 11,140 of 15,593 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.