Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

11,141 to 11,160 of 15,888 messages
27/09/2013 at 20:30

I'm not worried about the cycling, just the stopping. Tomorrow is the first time I have to test them out. I'll do my double lap to test the speed then I'll try out unclipping. But next week I need to concentrate on my running. 

27/09/2013 at 20:39

pete - a good thing to do is find a quiet road and go along and keep stopping, unclipping first - gives you the chance to practice unclipping, stopping and starting/clipping in again a few times before you need to do it a junction. You'll be fine. As you are likely to be very aware of the need to unclip you are unlikely to fall off. Th times I have fallen off have been when something unexpected has happened and I haven't had time to unclip or I have been focusing on some idiot driver and totally distracted forgot to unclip. 

27/09/2013 at 21:58

Went to the cycle show, we had complimentary tickets

It was OK, not any freebies worth bragging about, a bag of nuts and a few energy things, had a go on a few bikes, they have a track outside to wizz about on and the bmx kids on the jumpy track thing are all mad. we wached the people from the organ transplant team have an interview, that was great and very interesting and watched a chap ramble on about aero dynamics or something, I was lured away by a chick offering brownies, then sat on a deckchair eating brownies and watching the tour highlights on a big screen till Ab's was too lured by the offer of a brownie.

Sat and Sun are when its all happening down there, the legend Sean Kelly, Ned and someone else who I cant remember (too many Brownies) will be signing books (there own) and chatting, and theres loads of other Cycling celeb types popping along.

Will be great to see the Pirates on Sunday competing and supporting, I'll bring me hat so I can be seen, I have a shiny new tri-suit from work cycle club to show off, its Abi's first Tri so will be screaming at her a lot too.

You'll be fine Pete there easy to get used too, took me a few days, do a route with plenty of stops and try not to look at your feet when clipping or unclipping, I did and rear ended a car and a kerb

MC I'm eating yogurt now.......spooky............. no its not its rubarb

Razor51    pirate
27/09/2013 at 22:27

Hi Gang, ive just entered the Snowman sprint on the 6th Oct, looking forward to it except the run up the mountain  

28/09/2013 at 07:46

I had to settle for a very very ripe banana! Better buy some yogurt later! OH asked if I was pregnant then asked if I wanted to be He must be feeling broody! I did point I am now 45 - a little old for having more, and the two we have drive me round the bend! (I love them dearly they just drive me mad half the time)

Anyway, off to parkrun in a bit then swimming.

I have refused to take the eldest son shopping for a coat - just too stressful, so OH is taking him this afternoon and I get an afternoon to myself so will either snooze or take the MTB out for an off road spin in the sunshine 

28/09/2013 at 08:10

Off to Bodypump to work off the carb loading that went on last night at my farewell dinner - awesome night but ate way too much!! I am now officially unemployed until Tuesday - no long enough to become a layabout tho'!

28/09/2013 at 09:28

Ok so I tried them out. The left foot seemed wobbly even though everything is tightened to the max. I need to look at that. I did fall off, but not when stopping but when starting. Its a bit hilly round here and I struggled to reclip my shoe and keep momentum going forwards. Infact thats the hardest part, it won't clip back in, usually because the peddle has spun round and I'm trying to clip to the base. More practise is needed, but not this week, I'm concentrating on hill running. 

28/09/2013 at 11:44

I have my cleats still on the easiest setting to make the in and out easy.

I have swum, Masters session only 2 of us in the slow lane so it was comfortable with no catching up on people or holding anyone up.

I managed to get to Parkrun, the course is undulating and needed to do it as run/walk almost last in 43 minutes. Plenty of room for improvement.

Then when I got home I dropped my bag and have broken my phone. So much for having it in a case if it is not going to protect it.

28/09/2013 at 13:01

pete - I would say try to get out and practice this week even if it is just for 10 mins, clipping in is tricky till you get the hang of it, and hard to do going uphill! I still have mine on the easiest setting too

had a similar Saturday morning to steady! Struggled round parkrun but was pleased that I only had two 90sec walks total time 37 mins, so nowhere near my pb but at least I did it. Then masters swim and had a great session, one of the women could only do half of the session today so she set a really fast pace to get as much done as she could! Hard to keep up but felt great, and actually went faster than one of the others on a 50m sprint first time ever! Also managed to go forward for almost half of the pool kicking without fins - first time ever for that too

can't upload my garmin to fetch though, not sure why not, this rubbish laptop I think

28/09/2013 at 13:47

MC, I forgot my fins, so when we had to do 50m fc kicking drill, then 50m on side followed by 50m backstroke all only kicking, it took a very long time, but I find it easier without holding onto a board so my head and upper body are more streamlined. I could see the progress by watching the tiles on the bottom slowly move under me. The backstroke was easier but got told I had my knees out of the water and my hips too low.

My shoulder is aching now, probably all the swimming it has done this week, 3 sessions and todays was the longest.

28/09/2013 at 15:39
Buttercup - you can't be unemployed at weekend's so only one day for you. I'm still on annual leave...
28/09/2013 at 15:51
I have to say I'm being bit vain at the moment. Don't want to go and do park run as don't want a record of myself being this unfit. Would probably take me about 10mins more atm than my PB. I know it's silly and I'd be better off just doing it. Thinking about joining a running club though.
28/09/2013 at 16:43

I did not care too much about the time as it was the first time I had been to that Parkrun. The one I did earlier in the year with Dustboy and IronCat was down at Frimley Lodge which is flat, nothing like the undulating lumps at Guildford. But it is much better than the one at Banstead Downs, I was shown one of the hills there it was more like a mountain, I would have been using my hands on the legs to walk up it.

28/09/2013 at 17:24
I only went to Ashton court once as half of it's uphill. Mind you,the other half is all downhill as it's out-and-back route.
28/09/2013 at 18:49

mikasa - just do it and see yourself progress, it is really frustrating seeing times that are much slower than you used to be able to run (that is how it is for me at the moment) but I know that I will get better. I can now run for a while, and earlier in the year I couldn't so that is progress...

Am going to do the Loughborough half marathon with buttercup in March

28/09/2013 at 19:31

Had a quiet week for various reasons but have my first Tri tomorrow  Absolutely bricking myself  but can't wait to get started and hopefully it is something I love doing and want to do more! 

It is amazing how quicklynyour times improve with Parkrun when doing them on a regular basis. Look at it this way, if you are slower now then it gives you a nice target to aim for to get back where you were and then you can worry about getting faster from there. 

28/09/2013 at 20:06

good luck for tomorrow rocco

28/09/2013 at 20:21

Rocco where is your tri?

28/09/2013 at 20:29

It's in Chepstow, the dive centre near by. The bike and run I'm fine with but it is the swim I'm nervous about 

28/09/2013 at 20:34

Good luck!!

11,141 to 11,160 of 15,888 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.