Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

11,581 to 11,600 of 17,569 messages
01/11/2013 at 18:40

are you all going to do the 100 miler?

01/11/2013 at 19:23

I will do the 100 miler as it will be a last ditch training run but Im sure you could ride with me for 50 miles if you wanted to

01/11/2013 at 19:28

well, no rush to enter, it doesn't fill up...will see how things are going, hoping I will have enough fitness to maybe stretch to the 100 seeing as I will have done quite a few 50 milers to prepare for outlaw half, but I'll have a good think about it

02/11/2013 at 08:52

Hmmm...some how I've been dragged in to a plank competition in the office. At the end of the month, we get down and plank and the last to collapse is the winner. Unfortunatley the wellness coordinator is part of it and she's been doing yoga and pilates for years...I need some dirty tricks if I'm going to win this...or at leastnot come last . 

Turbo'd last night. 

02/11/2013 at 11:53

Body pump this morning all bits worked okay left arm a little weaker than right - odd.  Made garmin recognise foot pod so it's all on for the Shepshed 7 tomorrow with SuperCaz and anyone else who wants to come along!  All supporters and partakers welcome!

02/11/2013 at 12:21

pete - how tall are you? I've always felt as a tall person myself the added weight and length between arms and feet contact points means it's harder to plank for a sustained period of time.

Did my first ever race this morning, a parkrun at Rushcliffe, very well organised by the volunteers etc and great fun. Finished in 8th place out of 170 which I'm very very happy with in a time of 18:56  onwards and upwards!

02/11/2013 at 12:38

beanpole - blimey well done

spinning and swimming done so far this morning, and a few squats, lunges etc done in the gym before spinning

02/11/2013 at 12:43

Wow BP that is rather fast and looking at the inside of my winter gloves turns out I chose mens xs - so I have xs manly fingers not dainty lady ones lol they fit that's all that matters

02/11/2013 at 16:35

I'm a short arse so thats in my favour.

Cor, BP, that's brilliant! Well done you. 

Swam this morning, turbo tonight. 

Its absolutely pissing it down here and its supposed to snow in the mountains...I'm glad I'm only in the hills. 

02/11/2013 at 18:31

Beanpole - fab time, something I can only dream off...

I was a very bad girl today, woke up early but just couldn't muster the enthusiasm to run my last non-veteran parkrun...

Went for a walk in New Forest instead but we forgot the map so nothing too adventurous.

02/11/2013 at 18:38

Wow BP, that is a brilliant time! You're probably one of our fastest runners on this thread!

It was our parkrun anniversary today. Ran it with my No.2 daughter (aged 10) who was completing her 50th run and wanted a PB. She did amazingly well and got her first sub 30 in 29:49! Am so proud of her. She is not fast but she has a determination the others lack. The run hurt and I was a bit concerned she was pushing too hard but she was so determined to do it.

Then I had the privilege of giving out the prizes to our top winners. The sun cam out and we had loads of cake and smiles. Was really lovely.

02/11/2013 at 18:43

Your daughter puts me into shame Chili! I've only done 6 parkruns... (2009-2010,and one in 2012) I think I need to JFDI and MTFU.

03/11/2013 at 06:17

Blimey it's all go here - excellent.

Chili, it sounds like you had a great time, congrats to your daughter.

Right, I am repaired (again), at least I managed a starlit run this morning and my calf didn't mind at all - just got to see if it holds up to a little hill training mid-week to be sure.

03/11/2013 at 08:15

chili - well done to your daughter

feel like I have slept badly so having breakfast before heading out for a run

03/11/2013 at 09:18

Woke up to lots of SUN!! It's a little windy but all good - could've been worse weather for the Shepshed 7 with SuperCaz! Loving the blue sky - husband is up and baking all is right with my world

Well done little Chili! My fastest 5k is 26ish mins - which obviously needs work!

Edited: 03/11/2013 at 09:20
03/11/2013 at 10:16

Good luck Buttercup!

Chili your mention of your child (well done to her, great effort!!) reminded me of a young one yesterday (must have been about 10) who was determined to run with all the front runners for as long as possible sprinting at full pelt and breathing very very heavily, then I saw him cross the line later and he was hyperventilating bless him. He was fine in the end.

Gentle foam roll and spin later, less than 3 weeks till my 10k now 

03/11/2013 at 10:48

buttercup and caz - hope you have a great time, just wish my running had been up to doing it with you

I have managed 5 miles run/walk in just over an hour though so I am happy with that

03/11/2013 at 11:44

Good luck Buttercup and SuperCaz, looks like a great day for it.

well done Chili and miniChili, that's a great achievement for a nipper, great commitment.

I've not done much over the last 2weeks due to a cough and cold, so have decided that this is my rest period before beginning my pre training training for next seasons fun, just got Don Fink's, Be Iron Fit, and am eagerly thumming through it to plan my training for Outlaw next year

03/11/2013 at 14:52

Thanks everyone. My daughter did admit her legs were aching this morning

JP - hope you are all recovered now. Fink's book is great! A lot of people use his book. However iaven't done an Ironman before I thought I'd just mention a couple of concerns - the swim session are a lot to fit in the time alloted. And  it is bit light on the bike for most folk. But there is usually a new thread that starts end of Nov/beg of Dec for those training for Outlaw or other IM's next year. Lots of wisdom, advice and support on there.

All the best to Buttercup and Caz!

03/11/2013 at 15:00

Well done to mini chili, 29 mins for Parkrun is still in my dreams, plus I have only done 2.

JPGoodboy, word is that Fink is light on the bike element unless you are super fast already on the bike. I have adapted it for the HIM but am doing the long bike ride on mileage not time.

Hope Buttercup and Supercaz had a good day racing.

I went out with the cycling club and had an evenful time. Long slow draggy hill to start that I had never done, managed most but not all of it. Then great views of Surrey Hills and whooshing downhill that hit 33mph. About halfway round one of the older men in front had a handlebar hit with another rider who was avoiding a car going wide on a corner and he came off, he needed an ambulance and full check over at hospital,(nothing broken just a few stitches) the whole group of us (12) waited until he went off before taking the quicker way home 14 miles rather than 16. I then had a "fail to unclip in time" moment and ended up in the grass by the road, just damaged my pride and a lightly sprained wrist. Got back to the café for hot chocolate and a little bit of cake.
The stats read over 2000ft of climbing, average speed 11.8mph, distance 25 miles.

11,581 to 11,600 of 17,569 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.