Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

11,581 to 11,600 of 15,886 messages
24/10/2013 at 19:37

Pants about the handle bars, and the upset - but very glad you're not badly hurt.

24/10/2013 at 20:35

Glad you're ok Buttercup - did you report it to the police?

24/10/2013 at 20:52

No I shouldve think I was more shook up that i thought all I wanted to do was go home I didnt even get his license.  Nevermind it happens shouldnt but it does - might be impetus to get a new hybrid bike  

24/10/2013 at 21:25

That's a shame Buttercup - but you could still report it, as you were injured there's a legal obligation to do so which means that if they could identify him you should be able to claim on his insurance. I hope that your injuries don't feel any worse in the morning.

24/10/2013 at 21:30

((Buttercup)) hope you are alright. I think a lot of drivers are unable to judge the speed of people on 2 wheels.

I went to spin class, but did not get there. The road was closed and the diversion around the town centre still did not allow access to the leisure centre, so I came home very grumpy and went out to the garage, changed the wheel over on the bike and did a 40 minute Chrissie W turbo session.

24/10/2013 at 22:16

Wow glad everything's ok buttercup, that's an eye opener - think I'll go back to running now guys bye...

Swam over 1000m breast stroke tonight which makes it all the more painful that I can barely swim 20m front crawl. Followed it with a 20 min spin blast. 

Edited: 24/10/2013 at 22:17
24/10/2013 at 22:53

I'm glad you're ok butter cup. And that you did more damage that you took. I do wonder if drivers really understand the speed of cyclists. There have been numerous occasions where they've cut in front of me and I've had to break. 

In my only big crash I dented a jaguar bonnet with my head. I was pleased with that, I was on my mountain bike and so took no damage. I chalked it down as a win. 

25/10/2013 at 07:58

Ouch buttercup,

I have a run in with some form of tin box about once a week, the driving up here is terrible 90% of the time is a clip from a wingmirror as they cut into the no car lane early before a junction without looking.

25/10/2013 at 09:14

buttercup - hope you are ok. You should still report it to the police, he has a legal duty to report any accident, and you never know, one of the onlookers may have reported it and got his number. 

BeerSwiller - where do you live????

had a good swim last night, hoping to go for a run later, but the kids want a bike ride if the weather clears up so it might be a bike ride instead...

25/10/2013 at 11:28

Steadycj - thats funny as on my way to swim last night had exactly the same issue... same leisure centre perhaps? you did well to get on the turbo, I went for the sofa option...   

Unlucky Buttercup - good your ok!

My near miss for the week was the 4x4 on a narrow road taking a gap (I was in the gap) on my side of the road... luckily no contact

25/10/2013 at 11:59

Mathschick, Newcastle, it's the Great North Road, no car lane finishes about 25 yards short of each the junctions but when the traffic is queuing folk tend to dive into it early without looking to get a jump on everyone else, I've got 2 T6 lights on the front, 3 lights on the back, am pretty much decked out head to toe in hi-viz/reflective kit and always ride a strong road position and without fail 2/3 times a day I'll get cut up and once a week or so I'm clipped, usually when I just don't have time to react or theres no where for me to go.

I'd like to think it's coz I'm travelling faster than they think and just don't judge the time they have but having seen how often it's one car into another I genuinely believe it's just people not looking.

There just isn't the volume of cyclists on the road so driver awareness is poor, the cycle lanes are terrible and more often than not more dangerous than being on the roads.

Cake    pirate
25/10/2013 at 12:12

Buttercup hope your ok and lots of ((((Hugs)))))

Regarding the cycle bit's in car lanes I have a habit off turing right at traiffic lights even if it's not where I'm going so can embarris car driver's who are in them.

Normally I have one mildly scary moment every couple of weeks but thinking part of that would still get that in a car just notice it more on a bike.

Driver awareness is very poor and don't think a lot of driver's understand how fast a bike can do but it's always that 1 in a 100 driver's with the other 99 being very police and even letting you in a gap and stuff. Been cycling around london through and never again it's like a mad max film.  

25/10/2013 at 13:01

Thanks guys - Im a little stiff today specially my arm that took the brunt it's wierd I have been biking for 2.5 years on country rodes not a skeric of the muntiness this guy displayed.  My only happyness from the whole situation is a - the possiblity of a new bike and b- apparently I scare the snot out of middle aged men when Im angry  Im more annoyed than anything that he broke my workhorse of a bike - fckr.

25/10/2013 at 14:01

first run in ages today - didn't feel too bad considering it is about 2 and half weeks since I last ran really needed to get out and away from the family too. OH never understands that sometimes I just need a few hours on my own. Anyway he has reluctantly taken the kids off to the cinema and I am going to chill a bit on my own. If I don't manage to snooze I may go for a walk or to the gym and do all my physio prescribed exercises there

loads of idiot drivers around here, and specially where I live as there are loads of old folk that really shouldn't be driving anymore....One day at about the time all the kids were walking home from school OH saw a guy driving along, going up on the kerb etc, finally came to a stop and OH walked over thinking the guy had been taken ill, but no he was totally drunk! I think OH turned the engine off, and then some shopworkers came and got the guy out of the car and called the police...

25/10/2013 at 14:18

Glad to hear that you're mostly ok Buttercup. I must admit that I avoid school run/rush hour riding when possible as everyone seems in such a rush then and not focussed on their driving. Agree totally about drivers underestimating bike speeds though.

ElBeanpole - a car driving student with membership at DL (I presume - West Bridgeford and a swimming pool being the clues) and you don't think you can afford a bike?!? It would be worth going to Leisure Lakes at Breaston, they have some second hand bikes and if they know what size/sort you're looking for would give you a call if they had something similar coming in or heard about one for sale.

25/10/2013 at 15:36

beanpole - I can second the recommendation for leisurelakes bikes, I got mine from there, I had no idea about bikes and they sorted me out, put the cleats on the shoes etc and set the bike up, not a scientific expensive bike fit, but I have had no problems at all with the set up

25/10/2013 at 15:48

Been looking at this:

http://humanrace.co.uk/events/womenonly/womenonly-triathlon

Anyone fancy doing it?

25/10/2013 at 16:26

Oh Buttercup - glad to hear you are okay and just a bit of stiffness.

Thanks everyone for the congratulations, I will keep you posted as to how we do with the awards.

The ultra is in two days and I have headache, tiredness and general stiffness - so I reckon the taper madness is doing usual job

Buttercup - I did my first tri at Dorney and I have to say it was a lovely venue. The traffic free course made it so worry free.

Cake    pirate
25/10/2013 at 17:03

Chili good luck with weekend kid out of interest whats your number just in case we can track you.

25/10/2013 at 17:15

Buttercup, that race will be on my possible list, as may be on holiday then.

Mcscully, if it is the same town nicknamed Deadahead, how do you manage to swim in that hot water of that pool with a the crazy current that pushes you sideways at one point. I tend to go to the other much cooler pool a bit further away as it makes long sessions much more bearable.

11,581 to 11,600 of 15,886 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.