Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

12,001 to 12,020 of 15,886 messages
03/12/2013 at 07:19

Thanks for the welcome .

Steady - I was looking at the East Grinstead Tri but fly home from the States on the same day. Am looking at doing the Mid - Sussex one though.

So advice guys would be great, I started my marathon training plan yesterday with an 8 miler with 4 @ LT pace (P&D'ing). My current plan was to follow the plan religiously and still fit in all other activities, however this may be a touch unrealistic or lead to inuries   . So what I am now thinking is that each week I do the main runs from the plan and leave out the 3-5 mile recovery runs, continue with my Saturday tri coached swim session, with one other swim session, a longish ride out at the wkend and either a spin or turbo session mid week. I also try and do a couple of pilates classes at some point during the week!

What has everyone else done whilst marathon training, how have you juggled the disciplines? Thanks in advance.

Swim session for me this evening after work possibly followed by a quick turbo. 

Edited: 03/12/2013 at 07:31
03/12/2013 at 08:15

This year I tried to combine a half marathon plan with a half Ironman plan - i ended up doing 3 runs instead of 4 as i would frequently just run out of juice.  I also focused on my swimming and running to the detriment of the bike.  Plan this coming season is to focus on getting faster on the bike and the run and add in the swim around January time twice a week and a strength session as well.

03/12/2013 at 10:34

Calm down everyone 

I'll be doing the Owler, not overly fussed about a huge event as my first time and the Owler is ideal in terms of cost and locality of where I'll be living in 2014.

http://www.trispiritevents.com/events/the-owler-triathlons/

9 months today! Lots of training to be done.

Lisa - sorry can't really help there as I'm a newbie too but as my strongest discipline is running I'll focus on the other two disciplines more - obviously with your running events you can't sacrifice too much but it depends what you'd rather do better in next year  The others should be able to help a bit more.....

Cake    pirate
03/12/2013 at 12:12

Lisa depending on your target's I would think about using the swimming and biking as cross training for the running and consentrate on that. Once you have the marathon out of the way step up the other two and work on your weakest one. Don't think your being unrealistic but if your body starts to scream at you listen to it and do less.

Steady there are bigger hills round the back but not Pete Level he has some cracker's of hills up there.

Mortimor road near us has recently been resurfaced due to the tour de france going up our way so some right nice rides. If you ever fancy a training ride just shout and we can put you up chuck. Same goes for anyone else really unless they are a axe murderer in which case I will ask my sister if they can stay at her's.

03/12/2013 at 12:45

*hides axe behind back* 

Cake    pirate
03/12/2013 at 12:50

Buttercup if you did want to come up you could take Caz with you? That way we can get blink drunk on wine and talk carp all night.

03/12/2013 at 16:48

Busy,busy on the thread. 

Welcome Lisa! I'm based in Southampton. Still not that close.

Maths - well done on your 10k!

Pete - nice run.

Buttercup - your commuting is going strong. Are you doing both run and bike commuting to work? How far is it? I am planning at some point to start biking to work which will be 6 miles each way but will probably only start with 3 days commute. When I commuted the last month in Cardiff I got absolutely knackered with just 4 miles each way, double that on days I went swimming and 2 days of classes so will take it easier to start off.

I'm starting to feel a bit better (not 100% yet though) so might go for a short run tomorrow and then do parkrun on Saturday. Thursday is reserved for a gig in Farnham. 

Edited: 03/12/2013 at 16:56
03/12/2013 at 19:02

Mikasa - am only biking at the moment - will be running to work on Friday however - am trying to build up my runs so I can do 4 or 5 a week by January.  Was knackered this morning so the next run is tomorrow.  Post holiday slump

I bike from my house to Loughborough train station (8.41k short route, 9.0km long route) and train to Beeston, then bike from Beeston to the Uni (3ish k) and I do the same on the way home.  Ends up being 24km return trip as I now refuse to ride the short way home during rush hour - dont feel particularly safe so the long way it is.  If I run I run to the station and then to the uni, on the return trip I run to Beeston train station and then take the bus from Loughborough home.

03/12/2013 at 19:14

ooohh... the met office has given out a weather warning for snow and strong winds on thursday and friday for my part of the world...so I'd better run tomorrow lunch time...and collect some hay for the ponies in the evening...I don't like running in a blizzard...and the ponies don't like to run out of food in a blizzard.  I'll treat the hay bales as weight training...

03/12/2013 at 19:18

Cheers Buttercup.

I know if I start cycling I'll have to take it easy to start with, maybe twice/three times a week but the annoying thing is we don't have showers at work so I need to join the gym which is a mile away from work. I can't cycle 6 miles and go straight to work, I don't know how to cycle without getting sweaty... I was supposed to check the route last Sunday but was feeling rubbish so might try this weekend instead. It's just annoying there is the added hassle about showering.

03/12/2013 at 19:31

mikasa - for a while last spring I cycled to work a couple of days a week - and it is a 36 mile round trip. I just took some wipes, wiped and sprayed myself with nice smelly stuff and no-one commented on any sweaty smells! The kids I teach would comment I can assure you!

after a bad night's sleep I didn't get up for my run this morning and just felt too tired this evening to run, so I have turboed. Revolver, which is much harder than I remembered

buttercup - if you are focusing on bike then running 5 times a week might end up being too much - and that is the way injury lies

03/12/2013 at 19:52

Yeah tbh MC it's probably going to end up being 4 days but will give it a bash so to speak

Cake that could happen

03/12/2013 at 20:19

Maths, I don't think that would work for me. Methinks I must be a sweatybetty. 

03/12/2013 at 22:02

Peter you can keep the weather forecasted for your place.

I do not bike commute or run commute because I keep going to different places at the moment and need to carry a rucksack full of work bits with no room for anything else. I would consider it if more practical and a bit closer.

Dustboy    pirate
03/12/2013 at 23:53

PITH, fab comment, "I don't like running in a blizzard".

Up there, a blizzard ain't 2.54cm of light flurry and gone by schools started.

However, I think Surrey hills on the bike will give most UK lumpy bits a run for their money.

Steady, as soon as I can turn pedals again in moderate safety (not flaming out) and with even vague competence, I will be doing a ride. If I can get back to any standard again, I will be doing the beginners guide to Surrey Hills again and ideally my new route to help out some IMFer's training (Siggy, are you reading?)

Cake    pirate
04/12/2013 at 12:13
SuckitupButterCup wrote (see)

Yeah tbh MC it's probably going to end up being 4 days but will give it a bash so to speak

Cake that could happen

I know was talking to caz about it at the weekend. mmmuuuaaaarrrr!!!!!

Yippee!!!!!! Snow is on the way. I've got my winter clothes all ready and need to wash the mud of my mud claws so let's bring it on!

04/12/2013 at 12:58

blinkin' heckers, it's cold up here.  The paths were really icy and where they weren't it was wet, slimey leaves.  So I cut short my run.  Which was a good thing as my ankles hurt, I think it was the odd way I was running, I was expecting the slip with each step.

I hate the snow.

04/12/2013 at 13:52

Good training and planning going on.

I have been cycling to work this week, I work all over the place in Warwickshire so its been a bit varied, one of the reasons is my van has failed its MOT but not the main reason............

04/12/2013 at 17:28

I hate snow too, cold slippy and hate driving to work and home in it - the roads round here don't get gritted very well and I feel like I am taking my life in my hands

well, rest day for me today because I am tired - bad night's sleep again, was thinking of gym after work but just don't have the energy - so healthy tea and an early night and tomorrow I am running early whether I sleep or not I will be the grumpiest teach ever at parents evening - it is bad enough I am going to miss my swim session because of parents evening

04/12/2013 at 18:43

MC, I know what you mean about being grumpy.

I have run. Tonight the session consisted of a warm up walk for 5 minutes followed by run for 2, walk for 1. I know that is not exactly what the schedule stated but as I did not run last week apart from the little Santa Dash I did not want to overdo it. It felt good and no aches until the last 5 minutes or so.

Onwards and upwards.

12,001 to 12,020 of 15,886 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.