Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

12,061 to 12,080 of 15,135 messages
07/12/2013 at 20:12

had forgotten about my major achievement of the day: doing a whole length of kick WITHOUT  fins it was slow but I did it

07/12/2013 at 21:54

Woop woop MC!

The leisure centre close to work is offering a 5 day free pass. So Monday after work I'm going for my first swim for awhile as they need to 'see' you and give you your pass and they aren't in in the morning before I start work. So plan is to cycle to work Tue, Wed and maybe Thu morning. Getting my hair cut after work on Thu so don't want to spoil it straight away especially as I'm hoping it'll last till Friday evening when we have our work's Xmas do.

Btw, who had entered East Grinstead tri? 'Only' 50 miles away from it so thinking about it...Will have to go on M25 though, boo!

07/12/2013 at 22:08

Not entered EG yet but was my first ever tri last year and was fabulous!

07/12/2013 at 22:16

Mikasa, I am doing East Grinstead. Depending on where you will be you coming from the options include A3 up and then cut across, or you could nip up the M23 from Brighton area then turn off for East Grinstead rather than coming up to the M25. I use mainly A roads to get there, it is just as quick as using the motorway. This race usually fills up just after the new year, so get in quick.

07/12/2013 at 22:36

Great! Will be nice to meet some threadies! Coming from Farnborough way so I think M25 is not optional. Thanks for warning about it filling up too, I will consider it properly and then hopefully entering.

07/12/2013 at 22:56

Mikasa if you are set on avoiding the M25 you could go via Guildford to Horsham then up to Crawley and along A264 to East Grinstead. Although early on a Sunday I think you'll be fine. But this way you've got a back up route.

I was hooked after this event and then booked 3 more!

07/12/2013 at 23:27

Emma - yeah, I'm sure M25 will be just fine on a Sunday morning but will be good to know an alternative route so thanks. If I do it, it'll be my return to tri first tri. Only done one try-a-tri before and that was two years ago, not sure what happened!

08/12/2013 at 08:50

morning everyone

woke up with a sore throat so probably not doing much today apart from school work such a pain when the weather is so lovely

08/12/2013 at 09:25

Take it easy MC, rest is best, I'm plastering today so no training for me either, but slowly stepping up next week, trying to do lots of bike

08/12/2013 at 13:39

Busy training weekend for me, but am now going to rest up for the rest of the afternoon.

Yesterday I did my tri club swim session, and then my LSR of 12 miles. Today I have done a yoga class followed by a 20 mile cycle ride around the Surrey/Sussex undulating roads. Feet up with coffee and flapjack(s) now and to read all the posts that I have missed. Crikey this thread moves along quickly!

08/12/2013 at 13:51

Good training Lisa! Where are you based exactly as will be moving to Farnborough in January. Though I think I'll be a lot slower than you...

MC - take it easy.

I'm not a happy bunny, I thought I was starting to get over my cold but now today I've started sneezing and blowing my nose all over again, GRRRRR!!!!  I don't think the cycling to work will happen either, just too much hassle and when I get better I want to be concentrating on my running and not be too tired for it.

08/12/2013 at 14:52

Lovely ride out with Super Caz and Lumpty this morning - good weather for a ride around the countryside 50k z2.  Then home to husband's cake and a nice cuppa tea

08/12/2013 at 15:02

well done Lisa

mikasa - what a pain about your cold. I think I am going to skip swimming tonight, shame because I am really enjoying swimming and on Sundays it is at a great pool. 

Buttercup, what a pain I couldn't come, and I haven't even managed to do all the marking I brought home yet  I am determined to have it all done before the xmas holidays though, and I am going to have mock exams and end of term tests too this week and next to do.  

Must beat the sore throat though, it is my eldest son's concert on Tuesday at the Royal Concert Hall in Nottingham, got to be able to cheer loudly

08/12/2013 at 17:33

Mc currently marking year 13 assessments then will do year 12 assessments - missing family Sunday lunch!

Mikasa - fluid and rest! 

08/12/2013 at 18:11

I have cycled and now my legs are worn out. 35 miles all in Surrey for a change and one massive hill that needed 3 walks to get to the top. Having run yesterday is the most likely cause of it being harder to pedal today, so may think about changing my long run day to Friday to make the cycle on Sunday easier. My total training this week was just short of 9 hours.

MC, hot lemon and honey to ease the throat and Mikasa as Emma says fluids and rest.

JPGoodboy I reckon plastering is a form of cross training.

08/12/2013 at 19:23

steady - well done, brill week for you, mine has been a bit rubbish but never mind

making a decision not to do anything else work related tonight, nearly time to pack the kids off to bed then a couple of hours relaxing

I'll put my running stuff out but see how I feel in the morning and make my mind up depending on my throat

09/12/2013 at 09:52

Helloooo all! Back from holiday... Actually have a tan  OH's work do on Sat and have since had the headache from hell. So, all in all.. just over 2 weeks of no exercise. Oo this is gonna be a shock to the system. Will catch up through the thread shortly. 

09/12/2013 at 10:30

Yayyayay Mrs D you came back - we missed you *nods head* (((hugs))) glad some one has a tan - I scare the little children if I get my legs out naked these days!

09/12/2013 at 11:32

Sounds like everyone's illness is contagious through this thread!  Hope everyone gets over their illnesses sooner rather than later and then that'll be it for the winter 

Nice ride Steady, have you thought about swapping your long run day and long ride day around? Depends how much time spare you have on Friday to fit a long session in.

Welcome back MrsD.

I'm back home from Uni now, swimming lesson and turbo last night, it's 11 degrees at the moment here so may even have a few rides outside this week. I'm starting early on getting ahead of the fitness on the Fink plan which I'll be starting in 4 weeks, 3 weeks of building up slowly before a week easing off then I should be good to go - oh, and plenty of swimming 

Cake    pirate
09/12/2013 at 12:16
mathschick wrote (see)

had forgotten about my major achievement of the day: doing a whole length of kick WITHOUT  fins it was slow but I did it

Well done

mikasa wrote (see)

Emma - yeah, I'm sure M25 will be just fine on a Sunday morning but will be good to know an alternative route so thanks. If I do it, it'll be my return to tri first tri. Only done one try-a-tri before and that was two years ago, not sure what happened!

From experiance of the M25 I would give yourself plenty of time to get there.

12,061 to 12,080 of 15,135 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.