Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

12,101 to 12,120 of 17,566 messages
04/01/2014 at 14:23

EP, good to have you back in action, start with small sessions and work up.  I am glad I do not live near those peeps that keep entering races and getting you to join in.

My butt is about to get on the bike for a turbo session, excuses have run out and if I get it done before Mr Steady gets home from work it gives us more "us" time.

04/01/2014 at 16:47

Just do your own thing by taking it steady to start with, consistency is the key, lots of little sessions until the body is ready for more. I hate having to start all over again and be patient but it works.

My butt had enough of the bike by 1:30 plus other bits were also aching/tingling. That is the longest I have been on the turbo for about a year and a bit. I got frustrated by the music today, first the MP3 player decided to lose power within 30 mins, then the little microbox thingy refused to play a CD, then swallowed and refuses to return an old cassette tape, so I had to put up with a local radio station and all the adverts between tunes.

04/01/2014 at 17:04

I watched Ironman Melbourne on the turbo today 1 hr done.  I have signed up to the East Leake Sprint Tri on 30th of March if anyone else wants to come out.  Im doing that instead of the Dambusters as we are double booked on that day sigh - good thing I hadn't handed over the dosh yet.

04/01/2014 at 17:27

EP - good to hear you are getting back into action

what was dambusters? well, apart from world war 2 bombing action I mean

Steady - well done

I did spinning class then more bike in the gym to get me to the time when I needed to leave to go swimming. It was good to be back at masters swimming, although I felt very slow for the first 30 mins, but then I found I had to keep slowing down to stop myself ploughing over the person in front of me in the lane - nice feeling

Dustboy    pirate
04/01/2014 at 18:50

1.30 on the turbot is tough. Especially as you probably forgot to refuel? Anything over half an hour cries out for DVD.

Dustboy    pirate
04/01/2014 at 18:51

That came out wrong, I ALWAYS forget to refuel on the turbot and wonder why I am knackered.

Razor51    pirate
04/01/2014 at 18:55

Parkrun done this morning with Horse, 27'34", I seem to be stuck on the 27'30" ish mark but not bothered at least I'm consistant  

Mrs D, you take it easy and get well soon.

Steady, EP, Maths, Suckitup your all doing great keep it up.

DB, glad to hear your on your way back, take it easy.

Edited: 04/01/2014 at 18:57
04/01/2014 at 20:49

Oooh, everyone signing up for early season tri's...I've had a look at stuff nearer me,but not made any decisions yet.

Had a gym induction today and probably going for a swim tomorrow. Still not 100% so have to take it easy still. Got an email address to query 1-2-1 swimming sessions. £18 for half an hour, is that a lot or reasonable? Is half an hour enough? Group sessions were 30ish quid for a month but again, only half hour session, doesn't seem much. But omg, I might start learning fc soon!

04/01/2014 at 20:49

MC Dambusters Duathlon out at Rutland Water.

04/01/2014 at 21:33

DB you are quite right in that I did not refuel during the turbo, but had eaten up the last remaining mince pie and chocolates before starting so think that I just did it in a different order. I did have fluids though.
DVD would be nice but would mean balancing the screen on the aerobars or having to look sideways to watch. So long as I have some music or Chrissie W telling me what to do I am OK. I now put the garmin on the bike so I can read the numbers and keep everything at the right level.

Feeling tired, so may have an early night.

04/01/2014 at 21:58

well done razor on your parkrun

mikasa - exciting about the swimming - no idea about the price but probably about right. 

buttercup - thanks. I think duathlon is too much running for me. Probably won't do East Leake but I'll wait till nearer the time and see how all the training for everything else is going

Razor51    pirate
05/01/2014 at 14:13

I've entered The Manchester Marathon 6th April, better get some miles in my legs  

Steady, mince pies and chocolate I like your nutrition plan  

Edited: 05/01/2014 at 14:29
05/01/2014 at 16:35

Nutrition for the run this morning was a bowl of fruit muesli. I am glad to have done it before the horrible weather arrived. Looking forward to tomorrows rest day.

05/01/2014 at 21:07

EP, I swim at Bosworth, but was planning on trying the one at Stoney Stanton just off the A5, I can't remember the name of it,( I'll find out)  I never got to it last season, it's cheaper and weed free

05/01/2014 at 21:13

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stanton-Lakes-Open-Water-Swimming/126869507467732?fref=ts

this is the Facebook link to Stoney Stanton lake in Leicestershire 

05/01/2014 at 23:24

Evening everyone!

Sickness has now cleared from our house!  I did park run very slowly on Saturday (due to spending Sat ill in bed!) but none of my girls felt well enough.

Am enjoying reading your Spring plans.

06/01/2014 at 08:52

Hope everyone's well! Glad all the bugs seemed to have cleared up too.

Well done Razor, you'll run through where I grew up 

30 weeks till my IM now - marked it by swimming 1500m continuous for the first time 

06/01/2014 at 11:33

Well, I had a little look online yesterday and identified some tri's I could try.  

First one is Fleet Sprint Tri on 5th May, would be churlish not to as it's basically next door. Not entered yet though,hopefully today or tomorrow.
Second would be the Vachery Olympic Distance on 20th July. Bit scared about this one but it's close enough so I could go and cycle in the area.
Wild Boar Middle Distance () on 7th September. Eeeeeek!

I might book all but the Wild Boar as atm that just scares me silly.(Plus I still don't have a suitable bike). Does it sell out? And are peeps from this thread still doing it this year?

Edited: 06/01/2014 at 11:34
Cake    pirate
06/01/2014 at 12:15

It didn't sell out last year but did the year before. I'm hoping to do it but still waiting for this years eirman details with be released which might mess that up. sarah is thinking about it to but not sure if she will go for it will depend on other raes me thinks.

The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

someone's been bullying me into entering the East Leake Sprint Tri in March (I shant mention names but she's well known on the forum and is doing the Outlaw Half with mathschick)

Guess this means I have to, at some point in the not too distant future haul my large butt into gear.

Done this one before it's a lovely little race. sarah was asking me about it the other day. I'm assuming there is something on farsebook. I'd be up for a potter around there again.

Razor not entered yet but should be manchestering it as well.

06/01/2014 at 12:16

Hey, I've had a crazy dose of CBA while I've been on holiday.  Although I did do the local 10K on the 2nd Jan with a time of 50.36 which was acceptible.  I did notice that my stamina wasn't it's best, I was overtaken several times in the last 2K.  I'll need to work on that.  I'm back in the office now so I can get back to running twice a week.  I need to get back in the pool as well.

12,101 to 12,120 of 17,566 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.