Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

12,101 to 12,120 of 15,888 messages
11/12/2013 at 22:36

I have run   and by run I mean the proper thing. It was the club Xmas track evening and on offer was a little running then mulled wine, butterscotch tart and mince pies. So with the offer of food and drink I decided to show my face for the first time in ages.
After 800m warm up, we split into 2 groups and did a little relay event with batons (bl**dy cold metal) each doing one lap. I plodded the first, the second and third were a bit quicker then the last 2 were slow.
I know it doesnot sound like a lot, but the warm up was one of the longest times of non stop running for nearly 2 weeks.

I now need to foam roller my top of thigh and bum, 'cos it hurts sitting down.

11/12/2013 at 22:45
Ironcat - how did you find Farnborough? Good cycling round there?

Steady - well done on the running!

I was planning for a short 2 miles tonight but feeling tired and didn't wantto push it.
12/12/2013 at 08:02

steady well done

nice slow 4 mile run/walk for me this morning and swimming tonight

IronCat5    pirate
12/12/2013 at 08:36

Farnborough itself if small. I think there are some bike paths. However you have easy access to all sorts of road riding within a short distance - Guidlford, Farnham, etc. Some good lumpy stuff there.

There is also the Army training ground in Aldershot which is fantastic for MTBing. Look up Caeser's camp in Alderhsot.

Can't remember what F'boro leisure centre is like, they probably have some classes and there is a 25m pool. As Steady has said, the garrison pool is 50m and there is a lake nearby (with a pub and nice deck).

12/12/2013 at 09:01

Brilliant Steady 

Pete - is that the opposite knee to the one originally? More than liekly you're over compensating, keep it easy until they're right.

Bike intervals on the turbo yesterday, tough stuff. Swam this morning, 500m continuous with a couple of 200s and 100s surrounding it. Long run later. 

12/12/2013 at 12:48

IronCat - thanks for all the info, esp re MTB, really want to get back into doing that. I think I've only used my new bike couple of times. 

Moving in the next couple of weeks!

12/12/2013 at 17:31

Mikasa, watch out for when Dustboy is back to normal, he has a great cycle route over that way, lots of undulations, did it last year and he really helped me get up the hills.

12/12/2013 at 19:39

Sensible planning Pete! Keep it steady. Oo and top work Steady, hope the roller did the job.

You still doing Swimsmooth Maths?

El, loving the turbo. You Sufferfesting it yet?

Little pootle out again tonight. Easing myself back in gently 

Dustboy    pirate
12/12/2013 at 19:50

Ooh, I made 20 minutes on the turbot tonight. Very "flat" in one easy gear but it's progress.

12/12/2013 at 21:14

Steady - cool, looking forward to Dustboy getting better, maybe I'll be ready to take on some hills by then. 

Just looking at RW beginners' half marathon plan. They say you need to be up to 15-20 miles a week for 4 week's before starting it but then the first 4 weeks mileage is less than 15. Doesn't make sense. I really need to start upping the mileage...

IronCat5    pirate
12/12/2013 at 21:53

Nice one DB. Take it easy over xmas!

12/12/2013 at 22:20

DB - well done

MrsD - yes, still swimsmooth on Thursdays, I love it! Tonight was the last one till Jan though

12/12/2013 at 22:22

DB, you are making progress that is what counts.

I ended up using a tennis ball to release the muscles rather than the foam roller, it certainly found the spot.

Tonights spin class felt like I worked hard, but according to the garmin I did not work that hard at all, but did manage to keep in Z2.

Tomorrow if I get a chance I will do my long run to give me a break between the run and the long bike ride.

13/12/2013 at 09:11

Nothing today except a walk from the train station - it's Christmas party day!  Run then bodypump tomorrow

13/12/2013 at 09:43

Morning everyone

Steady - your training the past few weeks has been amazingly consistant and I'm rather envious. Well done on your run.

DB - well done on your turbo

Hope everyone is feeling better today.

Buttercup - enjoy your party.

Have managed one bike ride, one run and one pilates class this week and that is all! Very shocking. Have a 'work' Christmas party this morning, a school nativity play this afternoon and a youth Christmas craft evening, so not going to manage any training today either.

Happy Friday everyone and hope you have something lovely planned for the weekend.

13/12/2013 at 10:18

Buttercup - Xmas party for me as well in the evening and pub at lunch time I think. No promises I get to parkrun tomorrow but a 'long' run needs to be done this weekend. Not sure 4 a 5 miles, what do you think guys 'n' gals?

Cake    pirate
13/12/2013 at 12:19

mikasa your aloud a day of for christmas just one mind.  Why don't you go out for a run sunday if you want to?

13/12/2013 at 15:06

I guess I'll just have to see how I feel tomorrow. The thing is, I wanted to do Eastleigh parkrun and next Saturday is moving day so not sure if bf lets me go then...

13/12/2013 at 16:11

why not go to parkrun tomorrow and tag on an extra mile ot two to make that your long run?

having a rubbish day - ended up coming home from work early because I feel really sick. Supposed to be going to OH's work xmas do tonight but that's not going to happen now - it was all free too

13/12/2013 at 16:14

MrsD - sufferfest costs doesn't it? That may have to be a 2014 thing with my current money situation! 

Nearly 8 miles in an hour yesterday for the long run, swim this morning of 600m but felt quite fatigued, had a nap this afternoon and feel 100 times better, only a strength and core session later.

Good luck to any parkrunners tomorrow

12,101 to 12,120 of 15,888 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.