Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

12,181 to 12,200 of 15,432 messages
flyaway    pirate
22/12/2013 at 10:22
mikasa wrote (see)

But I do have a question. On an undulating long run, do you try to keep your heart rate/min per mile constant or allow for the undulations? If I did the uphills at the same heart rate, I was down about 30-40secs but then uphills and downhills I was feeling that I was going too fast (but breathing was easy and it felt easy and was still way in my 'long run pace'. Maybe I'm over-thinking it. But this run gave me a glimpse of how well I'm doing atm plus also making me realise a lot more still needs to be done.

I'm going to inflict my opinion on you, which differs from the other two opinions. As always, you're entirely free to ignore it completely.

If you're running to heart rate, I assume you're aiming to run at a particular goal HR, which you've calculated as being optimal for your long runs? If so, no, you can't allow for undulations. You're aiming to run for 2 hours (or whatever) at a particular effort level, and complete a particular amount of work in that time. You don't get a pass because the road slopes up or down. Your central governor doesn't give a toss what the incline is, he cares how hard your body is working. The effort level should stay as even as possible.

Think of the extremes - if you could only run downhill, you'd run faster speeds for a lower HR but you wouldn't have got a particularly good workout, would you? Conversely, running uphill, you're working harder, but an hour at 70% max HR (or whatever) is still an hour, regardless of the terrain-dependant speed.

In reality, the chances are you'll have to allow a few beats of slack each way, depending on how steep the hill, but if your target HR is 150, that means 154, not 160. If the aim is an aerobic run, it honestly is far more beneficial to stay aerobic for the hour rather than aerobic for 55 mins and wreck it with 5 mins of super anaerobic effort. You'll have to run super easy and slow up the hill, but in time, this will improve. 

So, in summary, yes, PACE can fluctuate with the undulations, but try to aim for even HR throughout. It's not just the average HR at the end of the session that you're interested in

Hope that makes sense.

Edited: 22/12/2013 at 10:24
Razor51    pirate
22/12/2013 at 19:28

5.5mile run this morning @ 9' 35" avg so im ok with that ,2 miles @ sub 9'00" as well

23/12/2013 at 08:33

well done razor

I managed to get my 6 mile run/walk in despite the sofa being very comfy. Legs are a bit achy now! Gym and swimming today - last masters session till the new year, and not sure I will get chance to go to a public session as I have the kids to look after - OH only has xmas day, boxing day and new year's day off when the pool is closed anyway

mikasa - flyaway makes a lot of sense and I guess in a way it depends whether you are training to HR or to pace - are you following a particular plan? If the plan is HR based then try to keep your HR in the right zone, if the plan is pace based then I think you can expect the pace to drop off when you are going uphill but be a bit quicker going downhill, so if you are doing intervals etc you need to try to do those on the flat if you are trying to do them to a particular pace. 

23/12/2013 at 11:36

Flyaway - feel free to inflict your opinion anytime, that's why I asked, to get other opinions. I'm not actually following a plan and I'm not training on heart rate. Based on a recent parkrun time, I've checked my training paces and they pretty much reflect the paces I feel happy with for easy and long runs. I put the hr monitor on as I have one and have found a way to wear it comfortably and just wanted to see what my hr was given the pace I feel happy with. Not had a chance to do a max hr test yet so not working off hr as such. And for your info, super easy and slow up the hill is exactly what I'm all about atm. 

MC - well done on your run and thanks for your feedback also.

Razor - fab running there!

On other words, after my 5 miler on Thursday I was feeling fine but come Sunday morning I woke up with a stuffy nose and the cold has gone to my chest. Went for a little walk with some uphill bits and breathing was hard, like I couldn't get enough breath. Didn't sleep well last night as breathing was more difficult in a horizontal position. So pretty fed up. Really want to run but no point, I might just give myself more of a break and not run before new year again. And that'll leave me only 9 more running weeks until HM. It ain't gonna be pretty! 

Edited: 23/12/2013 at 11:40
23/12/2013 at 15:58

Mikasa, you are not the only one with a spring HM and no real running done.
I have stayed indoors most of the day, I ventured out to the supermarket first thing and that was hectic.

Happy Christmas to everyone

I wanted to get that in before the weather causes power disruptions and other problems and I get busy putting more towels down on window sills where the water is coming in.

23/12/2013 at 16:12

Cycling to work was a bad idea today, happy Christmas everyone, keep dry and safe.

Razor51    pirate
23/12/2013 at 19:39

I'd just like to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and hope you all get everything you wished for, hope you all have a great time  

23/12/2013 at 19:39

Good swim and turbo today, not so good weather. Taking my easier week for obvious reasons this week.

Happy Christmas  I shall be eating a ridiculous amount on Wednesday - feel free to join me.

Razor51    pirate
23/12/2013 at 19:45

Turkey and mince pies thats the sort of diet I like 

23/12/2013 at 22:12

Does a fun swim with the family count as training? I have a rich uncle with a beautiful indoor swimming pool which has a bridge crossing over it so I combined it with some water assisted pull ups . Followed by a tea party to celebrate my grandparents 70th Wedding Anniversary.

JP - I'm glad you made it home safe!

24/12/2013 at 10:11

Chili - sounds very grand!

Merry Christmas all! 

Still working today but off to North Wales afterwards for 5 days. Hopefully it'll be a lovely break where I can fully recharge my batteries and get rid of this pesky cold. Getting to sleep is still difficult.

24/12/2013 at 13:13

Chili - sounds like great fun

mikasa - hope you get plenty of sleep and rest

Happy Christmas to everyone, hope everyone has the kind of day they want whether they are with family, friends or alone

24/12/2013 at 21:18
mikasa wrote (see)

I might just give myself more of a break and not run before new year again. And that'll leave me only 9 more running weeks until HM. It ain't gonna be pretty! 

I think there are a couple of us in the same boat.  I've got a spring HM and my knee is stopping me from training...I'm sure it'll be fine in the new year...

happy christmas everyone

24/12/2013 at 22:07

Happy Christmas everyone, have a great day,  Christmas day park run at 9am to kick things off then a group boxing day cycle, hope the wind blows off

26/12/2013 at 20:21

Hi Everyone

Hope you all had a great Christmas Day.

My 10yr old twins got 'new' bikes for Christmas so I took them out for an hour yesterday afternoon before it got dark. Now we are on 'holiday' at my parents house in the North Pennines and I suspect I'm not going to be doing any training for most of the week, cos my family seem to wander around in a state of hopeless lostness when I'm not around. Does anyone else experience that?

27/12/2013 at 09:40

morning all

after a lazy xmas eve and xmas day I got out for a run yesterday and have to admit that my fitness is going backwards and it felt so hard. I know this is because I have had a rubbish December of being ill on and off but it is a bit disheartening. Anyway, going to stick to a run/walk strategy for the year I think, and on my longer runs have the run section shorter so I can do more distance. Need to start having a bigger bike focus though!

off to the gym in a bit 

27/12/2013 at 12:17

I have done a turbo session due to the wind and rainy weather, got bored by one hour so got to 1:17 before giving up. Garmin says I worked nice and steady with improvement to my fitness, I hope so as I did not fancy a run.

FiL situation is beginning to get me down and have to go with the flow of what is happening, he is being a selfish old man and causing problems for other family members.

27/12/2013 at 12:24

I'm still coughing and spluttering and not being able to breath properly.Done couple of short walks but otherwise happy to just chill out and relax which is very easy to do at bf's mom's house. Planning to get back home for Sunday and do more unpacking. Might leave training to first full week of new years but will go on feel. 

MC - I think I'll have to go for walk/run strategy for my long runs as can't see how I can do them otherwise.

Steady - sorry to hear your FiL is making things difficult. 

27/12/2013 at 12:28

steady - sorry to hear about your FIL - family can be difficult sometimes. 

mikasa - just get yourself better before starting to run again! 

Had a good gym session, although it was cut short as my boy went over on his ankle playing squash so they came to get me. He always plays on these things but will be ok. Don't think he will be wanting to do parkrun tomorrow though

27/12/2013 at 19:23

Urrrrghhh, I've eaten too much chocolate pecan pie 

12,181 to 12,200 of 15,432 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.