Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

12,601 to 12,620 of 15,607 messages
Razor51    pirate
27/01/2014 at 20:10

Ran 4.5 miles tonight, stayed in Z2 all the way and felt really good for a change,.Avg 10'.04" min/mile, the 3 middle miles were all sub 9'30" avg was up because I faffed about with my head torch trying to get it to stay on. Fingers crossed things are getting back to normal again.

JP, there is a thread on here somewhere about blokes undercarriage management  

There is also one for the ladies too 

I'll see if I can bounce it back up.

Razor51    pirate
27/01/2014 at 20:30

Just bumped the the thread up ladied,  "how to prevent a massacre in the lady garden"  

27/01/2014 at 20:42

3 miles steady run tonight. Will try for a morning swim again tomorrow.

Wanna buy swim smooth and don fink half books now but bit skint atm. Will ask bf.

Will also need to work out my hr zones. I wanna run at Z2 too.

27/01/2014 at 21:37

Rest day for me, but annoyingly looks like I'll have a few more coming up. In fact even though I'm a bloke, if I've still got these pains in another day or so I think I'll actually have to go and see a doctor.

Got the Swim Smooth and Fink Half books on my Kindle. Figured downloading them from Amazon isn't really spending any money is it. Want to get the Swim Smooth dvds at some point too, though the book has already helped, and my own ideas of what I need to work on seem to match up nicely with the corrective plan for "Arnie" type swimmers, so once these aches and pains do one I'll make a start on the suggested drills

27/01/2014 at 22:07

DB - what is the fink half book like?

swimming was hard tonight - but I was in a lane with 6 other people that are way faster than me so keeping up was hard work!

on a course tomorrow so no lessons I need a day or two away from school and normal routines, it is getting me down. Only a one day course but better than nothing

28/01/2014 at 07:02

Fail on the swim again. Morning's just aren't my thing. But I'll keep trying. Have last of my gym appointments tonight though didn't go last week at all. Might go for a swim tonight instead.

28/01/2014 at 07:15

Recovery run last night for me after a very painful circuits class on the weekend. Popped out with the missus which was nice as we had a nice steady 5K.Love running 1-2 minutes slower per mile, just feels so easy.

28/01/2014 at 08:47

Finks half book is the same as his IM book but the last five chapters are removed

The sack is back to full fitness thanks to savlon and loose fitting trousers. thanks for the good vibes all and thanks Cake for a well needed Cake hug

Cycled to work this morning and still can't feel my toes, may invest in some waterproof booties later, had a few comments about all my wet kit being hung all over any available radiator in the workplace, bah

28/01/2014 at 08:53

I've read the 1/2 book and will be putting it into practice - it includes three different 16 week training plans though if you want to do the competitive plan and haven't built up to the amount of hours required you'd be looking at 24 weeks i.e. 1st 4 wks of the 'just finish' followed by 1st 4 wks of the 'inter' and then start the competitive.

The balance seems to be better in terms of less swimming than the IM plans. Lots of z2 but then 8 weeks of speed/threshold work z3/4 and a well explained taper.

I imagine there are lots of opinions flying around but given the success of athletes who have followed these plans and been coached then even if it isn't perfect it must be a pretty good starting point.

Anyway - today there is a z2 run planned and a swim session.

28/01/2014 at 10:33

Did you all work out your HR zones from the Fink book?

28/01/2014 at 11:11

The Fink zones are:

z1 75%

z2 75-85%

z3 85-90%

z4 95%

This website will work them out: http://www.mile141.co.uk/triathlon/calculator.aspx 

You need to know your max HR and resting HR.  

If using Garmin connect to set up the zones on your device make sure you use the BPM edit rather than the %HRR as %HRR is not the same as %Max HR. 

Edited: 28/01/2014 at 11:14
28/01/2014 at 14:56

Thanks EcoSeal.

What test did you used to calculate max HR?

Edited: 28/01/2014 at 14:57
28/01/2014 at 15:16

Attempted to do a swim threshold test thingy this morning, however my attempts at FC are too feeble for my Garmin to figure out what I'm up to. That and I definitely on did lengths in pairs of two but my distance ended up as 925. I feel I may have to redo this one.

Success though as braved snazzy university pool that I've never been to before and it's very nice and there is room to swim

Failed on that front though as didn't want one that mentioned triathlon on it because I'm so rubbish and in my panic ended up with none in the bag. Not fun swimming with a face full of hair. (Pony tail band can only do so much)

I think braving new places to train is on a par with the actual races in terms of taking me out of my comfort zone. I really do need HTFU.

Swim tomorrow eve, park run on Sunday and then I'm back in proper training, got a long way to go to catch up with you guys.

28/01/2014 at 17:16

I did my coached swim session this morning. I cheated slightly by not being the first one to start each set, so I felt under no pressure to sprint the whole time.

I have never tried to do a swim threshold test thingy, sounds even more hard work than a running or cycling one.
I also have a Garmin that occasionally forgets that I have done a length and end up with odd figures, it is to do with not gliding enough at the start of a length when you push off. I find breast stroke or backstroke it gets confused at counting but not very often on FC.

28/01/2014 at 17:49

I took a 5km run HR and then on a ride did a pootle warm up and then went balls out up a 7% hill that lasted a mile, did it twice just to make sure and nearly threw up so pretty sure it's accurate!

Max is 194 which happens to be 220 - my age.

Slightly nervous about my swim session given I could hardly walk for two days after last weeks.

28/01/2014 at 18:33

evening

well done Ali on the swimming - pain about not having the hat - I hate having my hair in my face too

eco - why couldn't you walk after your swim session?? 

I ran this morning and have been to the gym today so feeling virtuous

28/01/2014 at 18:53

My instructor decided I should use fins - it's like resistance work from the back down and I have weedy legs so they didn't know what had hit them.

Good work on the run and gym

28/01/2014 at 19:08

Commute and swim this morning - brakes decided not to work today so took it slow on the way home  

Well done with the training all!

28/01/2014 at 20:03

eeek buttercup take care without brakes

eco - yeah, it is hard swimming in fins, I wore fins for part of the swim last night so I could keep up with the others in my lane but it was such hard work! I am still struggled to keep up after the first couple of 200s

28/01/2014 at 20:26

I was testing the pool mate today. It says I did 40 lengths in 33 minutes which I'm most pleased with. Only 23 were fc before I had to switch to breast stroke. Still, I'm pleased with a km swim. Its the longest I've done in ages. 

I'm going to try spin at the gym before work and a run at lunch time tomorrow. 

Lets see how the legs are and if we get any snow over night. 

12,601 to 12,620 of 15,607 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.