Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

12,821 to 12,840 of 17,561 messages
20/02/2014 at 11:48

Take care mikasa, I hope it's nothing sharp or horribly tight and twangy.

I was going to have a bike session this morning, but have opted for stretching and walking instead.  I want to give my bum a couple of days to soothe, before weather permitting getting out for an early 1:30hrs on Saturday - it'll give me a better chance of knowing how well my seat is adjusted now.

20/02/2014 at 11:53

mikasa - don't do the long run if your leg isn't right. I was going to do a run today but knees are not right so turbo instead. Shame because the weather is nice for a run

20/02/2014 at 13:25

I managed 3 mile run last night, generally manage 9 miles a week currently. Although was struglling a bit with it last night.

Had to stop twice and walk, only walked 20 meters or so, it's just annoying when I know I can normally run it.

Incidently, I was'nt the only one to have a shocker. So it must have been something in the air, after the weekend I will start swimming in a morning before work. Well, I will be attempting to swim lol!  

20/02/2014 at 21:08

Spin for me tonight. I'm way off the gears the instructor wants us to use but I just keep doing my own pace. Took it easy tonight because of the pulled muscle but I didn't feel it at all and I think spinning actually loosened it up.

I'm so struggling to find trail shoes. I generally have to go a size up cos my feet are so wide but then they're too long. When I went to Sweatshop I tried Nike Wildhorse's in 4.5 and they felt good but I knew with swollen feet the right would be too narrow. So found 5's online and tried them today after spin and I'm still struggling for width. Aaargh, I don't know what to do...

20/02/2014 at 23:16

30minutes on the spin bike for me at lunch time. Tomorrow I've agreed to meet at the gym at 6.15...I plan 30 minutes bike and 20 minutes run. Although I did plan to be asleep by now...

21/02/2014 at 07:24

Mikasa -  i too have wide feet and New Balance are the way forward. They do different width running trainers so no need to go up a size.

I have 5 a side footy last night which was good. Something that wasnt good was waking up in the middle of the night really angry about swimming. Im ok with swimming over 1km in a session just can not put more than 150-200 together without having to have a rest. Its really gettings on my nerves now as you can see

21/02/2014 at 08:26

BP & Mikasa - I have never bought trail trainers before, but I do mostly road running. Although when the nights are lighter I do run round our local Shipley country park, stupid question alert.

Would I be better with trail trainers? Never seems overly rugged terrain to warrant it lol!

BP - How long have you been swimming?

21/02/2014 at 08:52

redog - if it isn't rugged or particularly muddy then road shoes are just fine

BS - don't get worked up about your swimming!  Are you having lessons/swimming with a club? Why do you need to stop after 200m? Out of breath? knackered? bored?

If you are out of breath then I suggest you slow down a bit, make sure you are breathing out all the time your head is under water. A few technique sessions might help, or look up swimsmooth on the internet, there is loads of advise there and videos etc

good swim last night,, though I felt pretty tired I was still pleased in the end. 

21/02/2014 at 10:08

I might have to send my trails shoes back... They look awesome though. Need to find another shop to go try shoes but my half mara's in 2 weeks and I'm away this weekend and from next weekend to hm.

Also, my lovely neighbor woke me up 3.30am with his thumbing music, eventually had to get up  and tell him to quieten it down. Then washing machine woke me coming on about 5ish I think. Tired, lots to do tonight and very early morning tomorrow, not sure I can manage a long run (hamstring still not quite right either) but might go for a short one if time.

21/02/2014 at 11:05

Mikasa - sounds like you're having a tough time of it at the moment, hope things improve soon, grrrhh to noisy neighbour. Saucony are general good for wide fit and I'm sure they do a trail shoe too.

I'm feeling decidedly soggy, swimming is complete for the week which almost makes up for the stingy sinus, squelchy ears and achy shoulders that  I've got this morning.

Bike tomorrow and the forecast looks Ok but also need to spend time with my Sons who have been super stars all week on half term so might end up being turbo in the evening instead.

Cutback week next week thank dog as I'm cream crackered, although I'm in the  pool again on Monday morning I think my feet are stating to web...

21/02/2014 at 11:09

Oh dear mikasa, that's not a good set of circumstances - hopefully you'll get a better night's sleep tonight.  

FWIW, the runners shop I sometimes use is open up to 8pm a couple of nights a week, maybe there's somewhere similar near to you?

21/02/2014 at 11:35

Thanks ladies. Thankfully I know the neighbor and he's alright really, just bit too noisy for my liking, only really happens at weekends generally though.

Sweatshop in Woking was the closest to me. Though there is a shop called Alton Sports where I work so will need to go there one lunch time. Not today cos I'll be watching Finland vs Sweden Ice Hockey semi-final match. Already agreed to take my lunch break in bits: 20min off, 15 on, 20 off, 15 on, 20 off.

Edited: 21/02/2014 at 11:36
21/02/2014 at 12:01

Unsure, but possibly a useful time to mention that Dawn isn't my name, so much as an indication of what time I often run. I'm of the man-flu gender - not that I'd ever mention it if I was ill, not me... no.

21/02/2014 at 12:14

Bwahahahahah DS! So on my day off I decided just to htfu and get out the door (have to say it was a close thing this morning my CBA was off the scales - think the work thing is annoying me more than I choose to acknowledge most of the time) 1hr 20 run in z2 over the Hathern hill and back down through muddy lanes and home again in the sunshine and wind.  Made feel a lot better! Runs are good for that

21/02/2014 at 13:47

I crawled out of bed and in to the gym. 30 spin which was ok, but the run straight after was terrible, I just gave up after 12 minutes. admittedly I'd only had 5 hours sleep but still...

Must try harder!

21/02/2014 at 19:08

I did a little run/walk this morning.

My hip feels a bit sore but nothing a good massage and stretch can't sort out.

Planning on a bit of everything for training this weekend, only 2 weekends to go before my HM which will be done as run/walk to ensure that I can keep up the cycling.

21/02/2014 at 19:36

well done everyone on the training

had a manic day but did get 1hr 20 on the turbo - just a z2 session as I didn't have the energy for a sufferfest 

21/02/2014 at 19:46

Well done on the training everyone!

Steady - my HM is in two weekend time as well and I'll be doing it with run/walk as well. But I have no longer runs anymore as off to see my bf this weekend and then next weekend I'm off skiing.

So, as my leg didn't give much jip today I decided to go for my run tonight. Got near to two miles when hip flexor started to go numb and jar when putting right foot down. Had to abandon the run and walk 1.5 mile to home.

21/02/2014 at 20:08

oh no mikasa that is a pain - do you know what is causing that to happen?

21/02/2014 at 21:03

Evening everyone! I may have overdone my slow run today (10miles in 1hr 28) starting to regret it now though as I'm pretty stiff, 

mikasa, I know it's not an instant fix but have you tried strengthening exercises? I found it helps my hip no end

12,821 to 12,840 of 17,561 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.