Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

12,901 to 12,920 of 15,895 messages
12/02/2014 at 13:29

I tried to find my max heart rate in the gym a couple of weeks ago. I ran hard for three minutes, then easier for three then really hard for three and I couldnt get it over 168. But I've beaten that in out door runs. I guess I should run my hill at home and see what I get. 

I'm in a posh edinburgh hotel on business tonight. I'll be checking out their pool and gym this afternoon before a posh meal to put back all the calories I burnt off...

Edited: 12/02/2014 at 13:29
12/02/2014 at 16:27

Ali - good to have you back

pete - enjoy the posh hotel

re the max heart rate, I think when I did mine years ago I did a couple of miles warm up, then a good few hill reps, really hard. Or you could do a 5k and make the last  mile really hard. That should give you a max you can use. The 220 - age thing is not accurate enough to be of any use.

Well, haven't done anything yet today but hoping to leap on the turbo later. 

12/02/2014 at 16:44

I was going to do the max hr at parkrun last week but it was cancelled. Going for a 3 miler later and might put hr monitor on and see what I come up with. The last parkrun I did (11/1/14) my max hr on garmin shows as 178 but I've seen it much higher on the hills so maybe hills are what's needed. (Have I told you I hate hills? Especially when I'm unfit...)

Feeling very unmotivated atm, not really sure why. Just can't be asked with training thing atm...I know I know, I need HTFU and JFDI! I will I will, later...

12/02/2014 at 16:51
MrsDigger (aka sicknote) wrote (see)

EP is a bit of a phenomenon with her HR.... get on that treddie girl 

Yes, a tad higher than mine. My top recorded HR at the moment is 182 - so when I do my maths properly, Fink would be13bpm out for me. That 182bmp also meshes well with my Lactate Threshold Heart Rate test which came out out at an average of 155bpm.  Mind, my perceived effort can vary madly within zone 2 and I wouldn't bet my house on the accuracy of those figures.

The Evil Pixie wrote (see)

PS feel like crap but have kit for treadmill tonight

EP - Good stuff (prepping, not feeling crap), do you do anything to help time pass on the treadmill? 

Pete - enjoy the posh nosh.

mikasa, sorry you're struggling, I think we all spend some time in that place. (I think hills hate me, never found one that seemed to want to help me up it).

Edited: 12/02/2014 at 16:57
12/02/2014 at 16:55
The Dawn Shadow wrote (see)

mikasa, sorry you're struggling, I think we all spend some time in that place. (I think hills hate me, never found one that seemed to want to help me up it).

That made me smile! Never given me any help either. 

The Evil Pixie    pirate
12/02/2014 at 17:11

DS I use either music or watch Sufferefest movies!!

Well bag is under desk ready for what should be 3 sets of 8 run 2 walk but my heel is really sore today so I'm unsure. I'm also knackered.

I may skip it or I may get on the exercise bike - but the bike's are shite here

12/02/2014 at 18:12

Just popping in to apologise for absence. Loss of mojo and feeling chesty.

I  managed a swim and pilates class yesterday but felt like an old woman of 90.

Turbo session tonight is looking unlikely as I need to get organised for a silly o'clock start travelling to Birmingham. Then even worse staying in a hotel with no gym or pool and no time to train, all work stuff including dinner with early start on Friday.

12/02/2014 at 18:49

Was going to go for another run tonight to see how I'd cope with 2 days running.... running. However the weather is now worse than it's been all day (which is saying something), and where I'm supposed to be working tomorrow looks like it's going to be covered in snow, so work is going be "interesting" in the morning. So I declare today a rest day! It hath been decreed. Or something like that

12/02/2014 at 19:13

I just got home, another delayed train. Got changed, on my way out for a run and I notice it's chucking it down sideways with the wind, I think I can wait bit longer..

12/02/2014 at 19:23

It's freaking hideous out there - hard ride home! The beastie bike stayed upright but slowed down heaps.  Glad I was on the beastie bike tho' I was blown around a lot.  My CBA levels are high tonight for the turbo - feel like I already did it!  Hubby got me half fink for valentines day so have been looking at that all day and redesigning the training lead up to the Outlaw Half

12/02/2014 at 20:11

nice valentines pressie buttercup

it is scary out there - power lines down locally and a fallen tree on my way home  no way I am going for a run, so turbo in the safety instead

12/02/2014 at 20:17

EP - just been checking what my max HR was since I got the Garmin and it was 183 bang on what the 220 - my age should be FTW!

12/02/2014 at 20:24

I didn't have to wait too long, some of the rain came down as sleet but I had a dry run. 3miles easy, I did try to get the hr up on couple of upslopes but my legs really couldn't travel that 'fast' for very long so probably not my highest hr on the cards. But just had a look and 180. Has been higher on proper hills though.

Shower,food and rest and lazy evening for me now, what's left of it. 

The Evil Pixie    pirate
12/02/2014 at 20:42

Buttercup I did say I was a freak!!

Managed to not only get on the tready but do more! I slowed to a consistent crawl to try and keep my HR lower so only maxed at 188 today not 191! However I didn't have to stop for a stretch and *drum roll* I did an extra 4mins! so 3 sets 8R 2W + 4R  done

legs are aware of running now mind but I am slowly feeling better. Jan 9m Feb 11 so far

The Evil Pixie    pirate
13/02/2014 at 06:29

going to have to start morning runs due to weird dreams.

Monday's dream including my old GCSE Computing teacher (yes that's some 24 yrs ago!) told me I was pregnant and last night I had open heart surgery then 3 days later did the Outlaw swim (which started in a cave?), was then driven round the bike course before walking the run which included me being in London, in the TV department of Harrods, getting lost leaving, going via stalls handing out free chocolate bars and the Police stopping all traffic from crossing the Thames but I HAD to cross! I woke up before I finished - another Outlaw DNF

Another week to go before the end of term and I am exhausted - no idea how I was getting up at 4-5 every morning last year

13/02/2014 at 10:30

Nice work Ali, I'm yet to get to the pool  Lovely to have you back!

Mikasa - when I got caught in the CBA rut. I cut the volume of training and increased regularity. If you only have 20 mins of training to do much easier to get it done! Soon build up and improve motivation! 

Fair play Buttercup still out on the bike in this weather - HARDCORE 

LSR for me later so chilling out with Midsomer Murders at the mo 

13/02/2014 at 11:47

MrsDigger - sound advice and exactly what I was thinking. Might only do 3 milers this week as it seems manageable, though a long run is due at the weekend. Sometimes I just tell myself to go out and just walk and it always ends up as a run.

I really struggle with the swim times though as am not an early bird and the evenings are too late. Will have to find a way through it though, otherwise I'll only swim at weekends.

Cake    pirate
13/02/2014 at 13:06

mikasa I'm not a early bird ever bnut lucky enough to have a large pool right next to where I work. If your able to get into the habit of training in the morning's will be very useful if you go on to go long.

SteadyCJ wrote (see)

Just popping in to apologise for absence. Loss of mojo and feeling chesty.

I  managed a swim and pilates class yesterday but felt like an old woman of 90.

Turbo session tonight is looking unlikely as I need to get organised for a silly o'clock start travelling to Birmingham. Then even worse staying in a hotel with no gym or pool and no time to train, all work stuff including dinner with early start on Friday.

Steady where are you in brum? If it's anywhere near Erdington sarah can get you into her gym for free if you message her. The pool is not the best but if your really lucky sarah might have baked last night as well.  I'd send her a message on farsebook if your interested. Just checked and she is planning on going to the gym anyway tonight so might work out well depending what time your dinner is.

13/02/2014 at 16:57

Max heart rate recorded so far is 181 so I think 182 is an accurate for figure for me to work from.
2 out of 3 swims complete just one more for the week at silly o'clock tomorrow.
Tonight is a much enjoyed night off, no exercise required, no clubs, no trips etc. Just cook tea and attack the monster pile of laundry that has respawned now I'm training again.

Off topic but did you know a provisional driving license now costs £50 then it's another £50 when you pass to get the full one. Ah well will have to step up and make the payment for eldest son.

13/02/2014 at 17:46

Ali - blimey, don't think I will let me kids drive less chance of them killing themselves then

crap day at work, I am really down with work at the mo. So left early and went for a little run, off to swimsmooth session soon too

12,901 to 12,920 of 15,895 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.