Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

12,921 to 12,940 of 15,601 messages
13/02/2014 at 18:13

Had been planning a gym and swim session tonight. However I've just got back after a horrible 2.5 hour drive home from work that involved trying to convince my van that it did, infact, actually want to go up the snow covered road right behind the 4x4 gritter/snowplough. I lost that argument though, and had to turn around by reversing into a drift and then take a massive detour, involving driving over another snow covered, but slightly less steep, pass to get home. RARGH. And now my left arm seems to be damaged in some way, so swimming and weights are best avoided.

Plan changed to 30 minutes on the treadmill followed by 30 minutes in the spa pool shouting encouragement to the wife as she swims

13/02/2014 at 20:10

9 miles LSR done. VERY SLOWLY! 

The Evil Pixie    pirate
13/02/2014 at 21:37

Ali who much for a licence? OMG My lad gets his soon

MC I so understand  only I can't leave until 5:15 at the earliest M-Th 3:30 Fr

I'm doing after sch sessions 4-5 3 nights a week too

brain is dead, body is exhausted & the crap eating has come straight back making me feel worse. It has made me realise how different I felt on low carb - for the better but didn't stop me pigging out on chocolate today  

Legs and heel seem to have survived yesterday's potter but away for the weekend now so nothing until next week. Not good for training - no consistence but at least I am slowly getting there

13/02/2014 at 21:46

Well done Mrs D.

Hang in there teacher types, you'd have thought the system would work out that it doesn't make sense to have teachers too tired to think.

Just a short Fink turbo session for me today and a programmed rest day tomorrow.  Fingers crossed the weather's good enough Saturday morning to get out on the road with the bike.

13/02/2014 at 21:48

Just spin for me tonight. Wasn't really feeling it.

13/02/2014 at 22:23

EP - you have started training again and that is the main thing. Why are you at school till 5:15 - or is that the rules of the academy you work at?

Swimming was great - we did a CSS test and I have knocked 36 seconds off my 400m time and 22 seconds off my 200m time.  I may still be slow but I am a lot quicker than I used to be The last time we did the tests was October/November time 

13/02/2014 at 22:44

Maths - you're on fire! Lovin it 

Mikasa - you did something, that's what matters!

DS - I believe snow showers and gales forecast. Good Luck 

EP - keep the faith. I can never resist chocolate or cheese! 

13/02/2014 at 22:45

Ooo... Meant to say. DB, this encouragement you speak of. Public pool, more like heckling?

14/02/2014 at 09:23

MC - Fab work and brilliant progress!

In spin, half a time I can't hear properly what we're supposed to do because the music is so loud. Find it bit frustrating but will just keep doing my own thing. Still need to buy that turbo, maybe I'll try to go shopping at the weekend.

Tbh, my lackluster performances might be somewhat to do of not getting enough sleep. Going to bed way too late because I can't stop reading a good book. 

14/02/2014 at 11:59

Woo speedy MC I'm very impressed.
My Garmin still can't  understand my attempts at swimming so no idea how slow I am. I got overtaken by a head above the water, no splashy, breaststroke, lady this morning so I think it's safe to say I'm not quick!

EP school hours don't sound fun and I know you have to lesson plan and mark on top of those as well. You can also put a big tick next to my name for eating crap too, half my massive box of valentines chocolates might have already disappeared.   Hubby loves to sabotage, but it's still me that ate them.

Last swim completed for the week which is great as I was starting to think I would grow gills and that's not the look I generally go for.

DS - Hope you make it, the forecast for here can be summed up in one word, Turbo!

TGIF - got a running workshop to go to on Sunday, should be interesting. Is it OK to answer  the question "Which areas of your running technique would you like to work on?" with "All of them." ? Or I could go for "Technique, what's technique?"

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

14/02/2014 at 12:03

Well no run for me today as mental toughness doesn't go as far as pushing me out into the rain today - sigh it's been a week of 1 day of run mute (so one 8.4k run 2 x 3.3k runs) and the rest commute bike, 2 x 2hr sessions on the turbo and a hilly bike on sunday.  No swims.

Part of the lack lustre desire to train is the peeps who fund our research are probably going to pull out of the project as it's not showing them results fast enough which probably means I won't have a job in a month or two.  So weeny bit stressed but will get my crap together for next week tho when my new finky regime starts.

Well done MC!! Excellent work! 

Long slow run done is better than no run done Mrs D!! Keep it up!

Mikasa I have a good book on the go too!

Oh and Im so over this weather - I would just like to order no rain for at least a month please and thank you!

Edited: 14/02/2014 at 12:06
14/02/2014 at 12:54

ButterCup - fingers crossed for your work.

I'm with you on the weather front, surely this is enough rain for awhile?!

Gonna chill out tonight. Just hoping my train home will be on time.

14/02/2014 at 13:25

On Monday I start Fink's 16 week 1/2IM program taking me up to the Grafman on 8th June.

I may be looking for advice/support on here 

14/02/2014 at 14:28

Last out of the water - look forward to hearing about your half training as I'm thinking about doing The Wild Boar with others from this thread but never done one before.  
Are you using the Half Fink plan and if, which one?

14/02/2014 at 14:34
Yes I am using Fink's intermediate program from his new 1/2 IM book
14/02/2014 at 14:47

Excellent, that's what I'm thinking of doing too although I still have many obstacles in my way. Good luck with the training and do keep posting here. 

14/02/2014 at 14:48

Hey Last out of the water - there are many of us doing halves this year - Im doing the Outlaw Half and the Wild Boar too

Im pretty much decided to rejig my build up to the Outlaw half due to hubby getting me the fink half pint book for valentines day - I missed the first week but have been doing training anyway so not bothered by that - although this weeks training has been pants.  Onwards and upwards!

14/02/2014 at 14:52
Good luck with your training.. I will update regularly.
14/02/2014 at 17:13

buttercup - sorry to hear about the job situation. Don't become a teacher is my only sane careers advice 

anyway, half term now, despite not sleeping last night I got up early enough to run 6 miles, so feeling very pleased - did the Jeff Galloway run/walk and it works so well for me and leaves me feeling really happy with my runs

going to have a turbo tonight and a nice long sleep!

14/02/2014 at 17:23

Last out of the water, I am another Outlaw half person.

Thanks for the offer Cake to meet up with Sarah, did not have time and was right in the centre of Birmingham at the Holiday Inn near the station.

I have not done much training and am looking forward to a long sleep as have felt terrible all day.

I have tickets to go the the London Bike Show and Tri show at Docklands tomorrow, will keep the credit card locked up for safety.

12,921 to 12,940 of 15,601 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.