Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

15,201 to 15,220 of 15,369 messages
05/08/2014 at 08:23

Whoop! Whoop! I came back from La Bruxelles lovely weather and now Im back at work havent done a planned session since I did the Outlaw bike.  Just a lovely break and need to get back to the running. 

This is the profile of the Wild Boar ride - slightly undulating but not too bad at all and no major grinds unlike the Outlaw bike ride! 

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/761536/gallery/wildboar2013profile.jpg?width=350

I wont be doing the WB this year as I have decided to give the body a break and just do the running until next season.  I will be there to support tho'

05/08/2014 at 09:40

pete - good to hear from you

camlo, I would choose the one that would be easier logistically! But then I get a bit worked up about logistics...

buttercup, you needed that break! Hope you had fun in Brussels

I haven't done a great deal to be honest, got back into the running last week but then felt a bit ill and haven't done anything since and it is only 10 weeks till York! And I am going away on Thursday for a couple of weeks. Will get some running in on hols though, and lots of walking in the Alps

and the kids want to go out on bikes today!

05/08/2014 at 12:41

Just a quick race report and a big thanks for all the advice and for this thread existing so I was able to get the link to the PSOF advice too! Also there was some basic stuff that I still didn't realise until I got there that may be helpful for some lurkers out there although I suspect lots of sprint tris are organised differently.

So the pre race briefing was at 12:15 for a first swim time of 12:35 and I arrived at 11:45 which I thought was plenty of time. However by the time I had signed in, got my bike inot transition, pinned my number onto front and back of Tshirts everything became a bit hectic as transition closed almost straight after the race briefing - still I got everything sorted (just). It was also really handy having a list on a piece of paper as to what I required for each phase as making sure what needs to be in transition is in transition is not as easy as it sounds eg the shoes on your feet and the T-shirt you are wearing might need to be in transition - sounds obvious but...

Also things like talcing the shoes and inside of T shirt, the elastic lock laces  were brilliant time savers.

So I was allotted an approximate swim time of 1:25pm which you only found out when you got there which made what and when to eat beforehand difficult but fortunately my pre race estimate of 12 mins for swim left me about midway so was roughly the time I had estimated. They set the swim waves off in groups of 3 in 4 lanes with each group of 3 finishing their 500m befroe the next 3 got in (no diving). My group had two front crawlers and me doing breaststroke so I let the two crawlers go first as you were only allowed to overtake at the end after tapping the person in front on the foot. I decided just to follow closely behind and take it easy and accet my swim time but that meant that about twice a length I had to accept the woman doing big leg kicks right in front of my face. Anyway with 3 lengths to go I accidentally touched her foot and she let me go through so that made the last 3 lengths more pleasant. Time for swim I found out afterwards was 11:09 including the short run to transition so a big PB against any time I have done on my own.

Transition 1 went really well - 1:13 and off on the bike.

Nailed the bike ride - couldn't have gone better 40:29 against a best time ever riding on my own of 41:13 and knew it was going well. This was when it all went a bit wrong though.

Cake    pirate
05/08/2014 at 12:46
Camlo wrote (see)

Fab report MrsD even though the actual race sounds nightmareish! 

Yippee to new bike EP. 

Cake - you have accurately nailed all my dilemmas! The extra entry fee of doing the 'official' IM grates with me but then i may only do one. A hilly route would require more stamina and i will be pushing my limit as it is. Ok outlaw may not be as hilly as i thought but then there still is the 'stinking' swim?? hmmm not easy!! I will be needing full training advice too once i get my head out of my arris and commit! 

I wouldn't worry to much about it being offical or not you respect the distance or the branding. Anyone tell's you any different they are a tool so good way to spot it.

Questions for you which works best in terms of dates for you and also any support crew you might have. There is the woody as well I would take some time and have a chat with your other half at some point just in case you need him to do stuff while your training if you have kids and also just to make sure he's on board. As Maths said logistic's might need to be throught about. Just messaged you just in case.

05/08/2014 at 12:55

When I jumped off the bike I immediately felt crampy tightness in my right calf. This had happended once when I had practiced Bricks before and had resulted in me only getting 4 houses from home before having to limp back. Nevertheless got rid of bike and helmet (in that order) in T2 and headed off gingerly into run. T2 time 23.1 seconds which was 3rd fastest out of 102 people (no shoes to change).

I got about 50 yards in before lying on ground and stretching calves then another about 200 yards before right calf just seemed to be sucked long and tight and I had to lie on ground - worst cramp I'd ever had in my life. Eventually a very kind person going past gave me some water and I stretched it out against lamp post and was able to keep going. First mile in 10:15 but at least I was moving again. Then it seemed to free up and was able to run normally to complete the run in 26:01 for a total time of 1:19:15.

Was aiming for sub 1:20 so really happy with that. Also I had much more of a sense of achievement than I get from running races and wore my medal with pride for about 3 hours afterwards instead of just sticking it in back of a cupboard straight away.

If there is a next time I would take an electrolyte drink with me on the bike ride but it may just have been that I pushed too hard on the bike ride that caused the cramp - the tri is clearly all about putting the 3 events together and I made a mess of the last one - still really happy though.

Thanks again for all your help and if I can't get back to running full time again then I may finish up back here gain in 6 months!

PS Eveybody on the day was super friendly, encouraging and helpful too - I enjoyed it.

05/08/2014 at 13:10

Good to hear you enjoyed yourself SFF. The legs do not work well straight off the bike, at least you got going. Are you going to enter another, if so which one so we can support you.

05/08/2014 at 13:19

SFF - well done, brilliant times for a first tri

been out with the kids on the MTBs and may go for a run in a bit

Cake    pirate
05/08/2014 at 16:06

SFF Nice one.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
05/08/2014 at 16:31

nice one SFF!

Now am I the only one left doing the Wild Boar (VERY slowly)??

longest bike ride in ages today (read that as longest since Outlaw last year) at 22m (12.5mph) still not used to new gears and missing my granny ring as legs are feeling it!

PT session tomorrow then hope to go OW on Thursday for 1st time this year!

05/08/2014 at 17:21

Thank you everyone!

To answer Steady CJ it really depends on my running - if my body will survive upping the mileage again then my running is better than my triathlonning (is that a word??) and I can't dedicate enough time to be good at both. However I do intend to keep up at least one swim and one bike a week even if I get back to running plus biking to work should all enable me to do a triathlon again without it being such a big challenge as it was this time.

So for now I will melt away back into the shadows but I will probably be back - in the meantime enjoy your running, biking and swimming!

Cheers, Skinny

05/08/2014 at 20:52

Great report skinny - you were very polite not overtaking sooner on the swim! I am frequently passed by breast strokers as i do my version of front Splashing. 

Cake - thanks for the help. I think i have got over the need for it to be 'official'. That would be like all the numpties who think London is the only marathon. Logistics are important and cotswold / woody are probably closest. Not actually discussed it with hubby as he thinks I am mad to even consider it but sure he would reluctantly come and support on the day! Kids and juggling work would be a nightmare regardless of which i pick but i guess a later one would give more light nights to get training in as opposed to a spring or early summer one? 

Will check woody out..... 

EP - a long ride is a long ride.... Just make it longer next time! 

Cake    pirate
06/08/2014 at 12:51

Light nights are good but just plot it like a millitary canpaine and just remember that something will always go wrong at some point if your lucky it will go wrong in training. If and when it does just keep carm and carry on. Set yourself a budgit for kit and stuff. And have a good old chat with the hubby. Something like this can take a few hours out of your week in the later stages of training so inportant to get him on board and supporting. Plus he might be your best training buddy.  Worth talking a look at the fink plan if any good or just taking a look through some of training plans out there.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
06/08/2014 at 14:43

Cake are you doing WB??

Spent an hour being tortured by PT this morning - that's Craig Twigg winner of this years Outlaw! I'm hoping some of his fitness and skills will rub off on me

I am totally knackered now - dropped water bottle on way back to car as I couldn't hold it! Legs were shaking so had to delay the drive home too

06/08/2014 at 14:49

OK so now we'll be doing Ride London in the tail end of a hurricane , wonderful , even better it looks like it will be mainly a headwind. Does anyone have one have an electric bike that I could borrow?  Preferably one with some sort of rain cover too.

Edited: 06/08/2014 at 14:50
Cake    pirate
06/08/2014 at 16:08

Ep hopefully but can't say 100% yet at the moment there is a house move to Birmingham on the cards so need to make sure free first.

The Evil Pixie    pirate
07/08/2014 at 14:09

hope you can cake!

I have achy muscles everywhere after yesterday but plan to do a slow cycle to Bossie for a swim

07/08/2014 at 18:34

Oh s&*t, my taperitis is getting the better of me. Had a headache and feel lacking in energy but otherwise OK. Dragged out digital thermometer and took my temp. 37.1, oh b%%^r, now I need wise heads to talk to me.

Do I register tomorrow for the Ride 100 and presume that it is just my hormones making me warm etc or play super safe and withdraw.

07/08/2014 at 22:12

I think you should do it. A nice bike ride in the fresh air will do you good!

07/08/2014 at 22:16

Hope you can go for it as per Pete says! Will be watching you all with a touch of envy ( didn't get a ballot place) and hope you have a fantastic day. 

07/08/2014 at 22:23

I am going for it. A nice long bike ride in the fresh air will do me good. But I will be praying that the wind is a tailwind at the end when tired. At least the weather is not going to be boiling hot and sunny which would have been a nightmare for me.

PMA now until after the deed is done.

15,201 to 15,220 of 15,369 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.