For those not yet up to IM

15,401 to 15,420 of 17,551 messages
08/11/2014 at 16:58

well done rp

I did spinning and masters swim  

mansell - sorry, I am east midlands based

08/11/2014 at 17:42

Woo hoo Rpitchfo!  Drink and be proud

Really need to bite the bullet and join my local Masters Swim. Nice work Maths and. Steady,

Sorry Mansell, no idea  

I went to a mix of circuits and box fit last night. Not moving very well today - tad sore. Really enjoyed it though. Must do more  MrD is driving me mad. I think he wants to do every event next year that exists. Then, changes his mind. Then changes it again. Why did I ever introduce him to Cake!

08/11/2014 at 19:34

haha MrsD

Camlo    pirate
08/11/2014 at 19:55

Well done RP, 10k in under an hour is perfectly decent. Hope pain is temporary! 

DB - hope the repairs didnt sting the wallet too much. I am learning quickly that stepping up from the very occasional sprint to more regular, longer events is an expensive jump. good luck for the ride tomorrow.

Need to find a swim coach myself mansell, from what i read it is worth the effort to find a good one (not just pool based but to advise on open water too if you are looking to do longer stuff) 

MC good luck with marking, not a jolly task i Imagine. 

MrsD - is that not a man thing..... I want, i have, oh ive changed my mind, i want, i have.... ?

My husband once bought me a coffee maker he wanted and has just bought a really expensive turbo trainer for my birthday... that he wanted. Have to admit it is pretty awesome but of course i wont tell him that.

Razor51    pirate
08/11/2014 at 23:01

Mrs D, that Cake feller is a pain in the arse  

Set up my HR zones on my Garmin yesterday and went for a run and forgot to put my chest strap on (dickhead)

My max HR is 199 which puts my Z2 at 149-169 which I find is difficult to slow down to, I would have to run at 10:15 m/mile to stay in Z2, anyone else find this but having said that I will stick with it because it worked for me last year.

Happy training all 

09/11/2014 at 09:37

razor - I have no trouble running really slowly - it is speeding up that I have trouble with

Razor51    pirate
09/11/2014 at 16:58

5.5 mile run this morning all in Z2, avg pace 10:00 min/mile, managed to slow it down to stay in zone, only one HR spike as I went uphill.

Two runners passed me and I felt like speeding up to stay with them but decided to stick at it and let them jog off.

Maths..... stick at it, it does work all this Z2 running 

Edited: 09/11/2014 at 17:01
09/11/2014 at 17:46

Have been reading some stuff about needing to train in z1 instead of z2 - thoughts anyone?

09/11/2014 at 18:39

Recovery run should be z1, otherwise I don't know.

09/11/2014 at 19:03
Depends how many zones there are! In a 3 zone system z1 would equate to z2 in a 5 zone (fink) system...
I think i saw a 10 zone thing on the internet the other day
@_@
09/11/2014 at 19:35

buttercup - what have you been reading? (eg, internet article, book, author?)

dodgy tummy so decided not to swim tonight, puking in the pool at masters swim would just be too embarrassing...did have a lovely run earlier in the sun though

Razor51    pirate
09/11/2014 at 22:20

Buttercup....Fink says Z1 is lower end aerobic training, Z2 is higher end aerobic training.

Dustboy    pirate
09/11/2014 at 23:22

I want to do a short one next year, but one where there is a bit of pirate fun and I can have a laugh and a bit of a yak afterwards. Stratford springs to mind. Dorney is local but he's well pricey. Any thoughts? Thinking July. Are the Thorpe ones any good?

10/11/2014 at 10:59

10 min miles in Z2 I dream of 10 min miles but I can't manage those even in Z5.

I'm starting to wonder if I have an issue as I cannot physically run and be in anything lower than Z3, even 14 min mile-ing on the flat has me in Z3.

My zones are right, so it must just be that I'm a very crap runner. The debate is do I walk so I'm in Z2 or continue with the very slow Z3 jogs and hope as I do more the heart rate will decrease?

Cake    pirate
10/11/2014 at 12:40
rpitchfo wrote (see)

Did my first 10k in 59.13...in absolute agony...too much energy is being spent typing out this post when it should be being used on getting my drink on.

I'll write something up tomorrow.

Nice one mate sub hour as well.

The Diggers wrote (see)

MrD is driving me mad. I think he wants to do every event next year that exists. Then, changes his mind. Then changes it again. Why did I ever introduce him to Cake!

Sorry you could always tell him he can do whatever he wants but got to take you out for dinner after each race?

Mansell sorry mate got no idea as well.

Dusty Be surpriced if we arn't doing stratford next year if any help.

Razor51    pirate
10/11/2014 at 14:11

Ali,     did you workout your max HR from  220 - age or did you push  yourself all out on a run to get it?

220 - age is'nt the best method of finding your Max HR.

When I first started to run to HR zones my Z2 times were around 10:50 min/miles so as your aerobic capacity and fitness improves your HR reduces for the same effort.

This is only my humble opinion and I stand to corrected by more knowledgeable people  

10/11/2014 at 14:49
AliBear30 wrote (see)

10 min miles in Z2 I dream of 10 min miles but I can't manage those even in Z5.

I'm starting to wonder if I have an issue as I cannot physically run and be in anything lower than Z3, even 14 min mile-ing on the flat has me in Z3.

My zones are right, so it must just be that I'm a very crap runner. The debate is do I walk so I'm in Z2 or continue with the very slow Z3 jogs and hope as I do more the heart rate will decrease?

First, I'd take Razor's adivce above and check your MaxHR is correct. 220 - Age is a very very rough guess and it is as often wrong as it is right. I should have a max of 185 according to that, but in actual fact after some (very horrid!) testing have worked out it's closer to 195.

Just my opinion - but if you can't currently jog without going into Z3, then I'd guess one of the following is true: HRMax is incorrect, Zones are incorrect, you're unfit, your running technique is poor.

Once you've worked out which of these it is, if it's either of the first two, adjust so that you're in the correct zone. If its the third, then I'd just do what you can and ignore heart rate (unless it goes waaaay high) until your fitness improves to allow you to jog without going into Z3. If it's the last, then I'd suggest going along to a coached running club / session to get some technique advice.

As Razor says, as you get fitter, your HR will be lower for the same pace, which means that after a while, you'll be able to jog without going out of Z1. What you're actually after though, is the same thing but from a different viewpoint - to maintain the same HR and see your times come down for a given distance.

10/11/2014 at 21:11

When I first started running managing z2 was tough - that was unfitness tho' 

MC I think it was in the latest 220 and I was like errr so we aren't meant to be training in z2 then? Got a weeny bit confused (it's not hard these days!!)

11/11/2014 at 09:22

If I remember, that issue's article was based on a 3 zone system though, not Fink's 4 or Friel's 5.

Can understand why it all gets confusing though!

11/11/2014 at 09:31

My max heart rate was worked out as 220 - my age and then tested with a few park runs and it seems right. I can go back over 3 years of Garmin data and never gone higher.

I've done a few run coached sessions and technique workshops and have got orthotics to help with my funky legs. My run actions is now considered OK with what I have to work with.

It could well  be I lack run fitness as although I've done a several tris from sprint to middle distance this year I have suffered from glass leg syndrome so run training hasn't been what it should have been.

But I have been running for 3 years now and can happily do 7 miles without issue so I find it frustrating that 2 miles still has me in Z3 plus not matter how slow I go.

I tried with just running and not worrying about the zones this year and my runs have all been an average of Z3 +

Really need to try and sort it out before I go long next year.

15,401 to 15,420 of 17,551 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.