Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

15,461 to 15,480 of 17,569 messages
25/11/2014 at 18:42

Ali - sometimes a bit of time off is needed, just don't let the weight gain take too much of a hold! It is always harder to lose weight than regain fitness

having said that, I haven't done anything apart from work today, but did go to waitrose for some nice fish for dinner

25/11/2014 at 20:15

I got a first look at the xrays from the radiologist who says I haven't broken anything. She was a runner and swimmer and was very sympathetic to my plight. I'll take a couple of weeks off and practise sit ups or the like. She said I should practise my swimming breathing at home and read up on it to learn the correct technique. 

Razor51    pirate
25/11/2014 at 20:50

Good news Pete, you daft sod  

Mallowpuff    pirate
25/11/2014 at 21:05

Went for a swim tonight (first time in ages), and got there to realise my goggles were still in my tri bag back at home. Bollocks. Managed 400m of front crawl before my eyes decided enough was enough

26/11/2014 at 09:48

Got to the pool this morning - first exercise in nearly 2 weeks due to snotty-itis. Managed 900m total with a 420m set (or however you say it) in the middle. Wouldn't fancy it without goggles!

Cake    pirate
26/11/2014 at 12:46

Excellent news pete

Mallowpuff    pirate
26/11/2014 at 18:43

I decided to make use of the time without goggles and practice sighting to get my eyes out of the water

26/11/2014 at 21:23

timed myself at 400m swim tonight for the first time since I started 3 months ago. Managed it in 8 minutes 20 but didn't really push it. Think I'll be able to knock a minute or so off that in the next 3 months before my sprint.

26/11/2014 at 22:20

I got my new bike sorted out at the LBS, now fits better and set up for turbo use over the winter. Today I did a spinning session with one leg drills, it feels so much better now the bike is correct, although still getting used to only having 2 chain rings at the front.

rpitchfo, that is a good time for 400m swim.

Durhambiker, argh no goggles is even worse than no nose clip, when I forgot mine I ended up buying more just so I could swim and now have a spare set of everything.

27/11/2014 at 17:54

steady - good news about the bike fit

pete - glad nothing is broken!

rp - that is a good time for 400m. knocking a minute off it in 2 months? If only my improvements would happen that quickly!

Camlo    pirate
27/11/2014 at 18:54

My bike only has 2 rings at the front too! Still too much choice for me and i spend most time in top or bottom gear! 

Eek to fall

Fab swim time RP - i am happy with anything under 10 mins and thats always flat out! 

I see some sprints opening for entries in the spring - not sure i can face a triathlon in March though?! Hard enough to pull a jacket on let alone tights/ trousers? 

27/11/2014 at 19:27

Camlo, my older bike was girlie base entry model with 3 front chain rings, loads of choice but never the right one when you need it. I have now progressed to a better big girls bike so it only has 2, hence my having to get the hang of it.

I did my dreadmill session after work and managed to do 3 minutes run and 1 minute walk repeated for 30 mins in total. Progress in the right direction at long last. My ambition of a Xmas 5k is looking a possibility.

Stump    pirate
27/11/2014 at 19:30

I did my first tri on a girls bike. It was only one small enough for me in the shop.

Forget bike, it's time in saddle you need to worry about.

27/11/2014 at 22:31

I know that Stump, it was an indulgence having done the Ride London this year.
I have my plans for steadily increasing the distance each week with some cut back weeks along with plenty of new DVDs to ride to on the turbo during the horrid weather of winter.

My aim for next year is to try to take a whole hour off my Outlaw Half time, it is possible by making sure I do not fall off the bike a week before, doing plenty of quality rides and managing to run rather than walk.

My target is now out in the open.

Camlo    pirate
27/11/2014 at 23:48

Day off work tomorrow, going to drop kids at school and get my butt on the bike.... There, thats my target out in the open too....... 

28/11/2014 at 08:09

I was rushing to get to work today...I'd better not say what was in the open....;-)

28/11/2014 at 12:12

Still limping from a coached turbo session on Tuesday evening, no damage done just used muscles that I don't usually.  Swimming last night an yay 1 thing I can do right  is kick as I have very flexible ankles.  Shame it only account for 5% of propulsion.

Cake    pirate
28/11/2014 at 12:53
Stump wrote (see)

I did my first tri on a girls bike. It was only one small enough for me in the shop.

Forget bike, it's time in saddle you need to worry about.

I did my first tri on a borrowed girl's bike from anouther pirate. It was Nantwich tri I broke both pedel's going round.

My target for next year is to get some conistancy going and also have as much fun as possible.

28/11/2014 at 17:52

steady - well done on the run! And a fab target - I imagine with the extra biking you will be doing in the build up to outlaw, then you will definitely cut your bike time, and you'll probably have better legs to get you round the run/walk too

I have had a bit of a lazy week, feel guilty as I have also eaten far too much. In a way, I just haven't felt like doing much. I did swim last night, and it was the first swim for nearly 2 weeks due to having a cold etc, and gosh did it feel hard! good session though

Razor51    pirate
28/11/2014 at 22:36

I've done nowt  

15,461 to 15,480 of 17,569 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.