Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

15,481 to 15,500 of 15,895 messages
28/09/2014 at 18:51

Sorry to hear you DNS Maths but was a wise choice.

I have cycled today, my knees feel sore and I have a tickle in my throat so the cold I have been fending off is obviously make itself known for tomorrow. Grrr.

28/09/2014 at 18:59

oh well, at least you got the bike ride in steady! I was feeling quite jealous of cyclists out today - what a beautiful day to be out 

28/09/2014 at 19:27

Popped out for a run thursday night and my knee started hurting again, think i was just over doing it so been icing every night and will test it out again at run club tomorrow night.

Popped out for a steady cycle today to build some base miles for the start of fink plan in december. steady 27 miles in 1:49

28/09/2014 at 20:27

Sorry to hear about the Robin hood marathon maths - but the lurgy has been doing the rounds in Nottingham and if it's anything like as bad as what i got i know it lingers.

My facebook feed is full of people running that race today. I did week 3 of couch 2 5k today and nearly died. I can barely run 3 minutes - and my calf is now angry with my for doing that. I also did it after a bottle of red and Indian on Saturday night. Never again.

Going into week 6 with a steady swim tomorrow.

28/09/2014 at 22:12

Not good to hear about so many niggles folks, well done for sticking to plan RP but if calf is angry then maybe you need to get something looked at? 

BS have you used fink before? Looking for some ideas to get me to IM in July. 

Did a sea sprint tri earlier in Aberyswyth - was 5th from last in the swim but overtook a few on the bike and a few more on the run. Swim felt ok but i just cant seem to go faster! Very hilly bike which i struggled with but obviously not as much as some others.  

29/09/2014 at 06:54

Hi camlo. 

Nope not used it before. 1st full distance next year for me

29/09/2014 at 09:26

I did the Loch Ness marathon yesterday, it's the reason why I've only done one triathlon this year.  It's consumed my life.  I didn't enjoy any of the training, but I really enjoyed the race.

I was really nervous in the morning and couldn't eat which is why my stomach was grumbling at the start line.  I got on the bus around 7.30am and it drives you out and round to end of the loch and abandons you on the top of a cold and windy mountain with 4000 others.  A pipe band kicks us off just before 10 and the start. The run was good, I was aiming for 5 hours and came in at 4hrs 52 which was ace.  The scenery is spectacular, the locals really friendly and the other runners chatty, although I did notice at mile 16 were in a stable group, non of us speaking as we all dealt with our own suffering and all our feet hitting the ground in time.  It was well weird.  The legendary hill at Dores is a killer - 2.5 miles of  hard constant climb at 18 miles, but then it was down hill in to Inverness and on the final corner a pirate - Nurse Ratched who gave me a big argghh.

Overall, very pleased! So what now...oh yeah, learn to swim properly over the winter.

29/09/2014 at 10:18

Well done pete great to beat your target time!

I had a weekend of celebrating at a wedding which did not marry up well with swimming this morning.

A fairly tough session made even harder by the final killer blow of 6 sets of 1 length fly, 3 lengths crawl, 1 length fly all with a 15 sec rest between sets. I thought I was going to see my Lamb dinner for a second time!

Cake    pirate
29/09/2014 at 12:33

Pete nice one and Math's sorry to hear about nottingham. Moved house at the weekend or might have joined you. My god I'm knackered.  Think I'm getting old.

ultramatic wrote (see)
Thanks. Yes I fell off three times last week at traffic lights, due to not being able to clip out on the left, then forgetting I was clipped in right and leaning over to press a light!!!!!!! Battered bruised and mortified.
Went back to shop and asked for flat pedals, but the guy taught me how to use the clipless properly and loosened them. Great now.
Steep learning curve!!! ????

Everyone's done it well done for sticking with the pedel's. They do make a difference.

29/09/2014 at 18:34

wow, pete, well done!!

I have a very attractive and annoying eye infection - came on overnight and went to boots to get some eye drops at lunch. Got home and OH said it looks like I have punched.

29/09/2014 at 19:38

Camlo: what was the Aber tri like? Had been thinking about doing that one as I used to live near Aberystwyth and any excuse to go back is welcome. Seemed a bit far to go for a sprint tri though, could probably have persuaded the wife if it was at least a standard

29/09/2014 at 20:43

DB - it was 750m in the sea but the bike was up Penglais Hill past the university and on through Bow Street and Talybont to the turn around in Talysin (or something like that). Very hilly and climbing up the back of Penglais with 18 miles in your legs was a challenge! Run route was along the promenade then right and up hill to a golf course (never knew there was a 'country lane' in the middle of the town), then back right along the whole sea front to the harbour end and back to the finish in the middle. You need strong legs as i did see a few pushing their bikes! 

Well done Pete, glad you had some support and company albeit subdued during the 'i want to stop' phase.

Boo to eye infection Maths, hope drops help. 

Shoulders sore today - not sure if from swim or gripping tightly on the bike?! 

Razor51    pirate
29/09/2014 at 22:07

Brisol, Camlo,

I used the Fink plan in 2013, I went with the intermediate plan but adapted the swim sessions to fit into an hour, they tend to be a bit long. In the base section do your running in Z2, you might feel like you are running really slow but it does work and get plenty of bike miles in. I will be using it again for next year. 

The 30 week plan starts on Monday 29th Dec  with a rest day  

29/09/2014 at 22:15

BBT, wow that was a killer swim session, 1 length of fly is my limit.

Boo to eye infection Maths.

Well done Pete, it sounds a tough course but well worth it.

Razor I am sooo glad you reminded me when Fink starts  but I will be doing my adapted Fink for Outlaw Half and just add in more bike miles ready for Outlaw bike section.

Razor51    pirate
29/09/2014 at 22:31

Steady,

The Fink plan is great whichever plan you decide to do, I thought the swim sessions were too long so I just swam as much as I could in an hour but made sure I kept my  form as best as I could. If I had more time I would also do some of the drills.

I definately need to hammer the bike this time and get some hill work in.      

Razor51    pirate
29/09/2014 at 22:31

Steady,

The Fink plan is great whichever plan you decide to do, I thought the swim sessions were too long so I just swam as much as I could in an hour but made sure I kept my  form as best as I could. If I had more time I would also do some of the drills.

I definately need to hammer the bike this time and get some hill work in.      

30/09/2014 at 07:41

Had a dream last night that I couldnt run! Could breath and felt fine but like legs were in a vice and everyone was shouting at me to run but it was like water jogging! Got me thinking this morning that maybe signing up for an IM is a bit (a lot) unrealistic? 

I can swim 2k in 50mins, i can bike 30 miles in 2 hours  and i just did a 4:15 marathon but not done beyond those distances or put long things together. is it doable with a reasonable stab at a training plan? Have young children so i wont be doing double sessions 6 days a week! 

Cake    pirate
30/09/2014 at 12:44

Camlo those times are better than some of the folks on the threads who have done IM's myself included. For a longer race through isn't about getting the constistancy as you go and long bike rides are needed. Still very doable through just got to be canny and there might be day's you plan ahead and get the other half to look after the kids while you get in a long bike ride.

It is all realistic just will be some hard work on some day's.

30/09/2014 at 17:26

I went swimming this morning, but am binning the Pilates tonight. The cold is almost in full flow and feel achy and tired.
I looked at the calendar for September, each week I did an extra session, so started at 2 per week and ended on 6, which may have been my downfall. So this week is recovery week.

30/09/2014 at 18:31

Well done on the mara Pete!!

Carlo, I always sign up for mad unrealistic targets, it is half the fun, and makes you train harder.....

This year's mad running races were a 50 miler in may, which was tough but grand. Then I had signed for a 100k in June, then a 24 hr in july, but fate intervened and I slipped one week after the 50 and knackered my leg!!!!!

Only got back to marathon level July. That is why I started swimming in May and got the notion of triathlon

Of course my ultimate goal is I.M, let the madness begin...

15,481 to 15,500 of 15,895 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.