Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

15,521 to 15,540 of 15,833 messages
05/10/2014 at 13:49

Tried my new shoes today by completing week 4 day 3 of couch 2 5k. Absolutely lovely morning for running - I get very hot during my "runs" and there was a lovely chill in the air. I can give the shoes a thumbs up. Great support and much less bouncy..just nice and firm. Happy with the purchase.

Moving into my seventh week of training feeling positive and keeping up with my current plan. Not smoked or drank anything for five days!!! Hoping to get a new bike in the next two weeks.

oh…and I’ve not lost any weight!!! still 208 pounds *throws scales away*.

Edited: 05/10/2014 at 13:49
06/10/2014 at 09:37

Oo... New shoes  Rpitchfo - measurements, not weight! Will be a better guideline. Hurrah for the no smoking 

06/10/2014 at 09:48

Raced in The Last Tri, Lydney yesterday (sprint distance).

Fastest overall in the swim, went out strong on the bike but ended up going the wrong way and adding 5mins onto my cycle time, then was a pretty decent (for me) run.

17th overall, 9th in category.

If I were to take the 5min detour off I'd have been up around 5th position so looking good for next year so long as I get my navigation skills fixed!

06/10/2014 at 10:08

Woo hoo Bam Bam  You little show off you! I'm always just grateful I'm not last 

06/10/2014 at 10:15

There were only 17 entrants

I was quite surprised to be honest, its the best result I've had so the training I've been doing must be doing some good. Its a nice result to give me some motivation to keep at it through the winter.

06/10/2014 at 20:06

yay bambam well done

DB - always good to get a new bike

rp -as MrsD says go for measurements not weight

07/10/2014 at 20:47

Got a serious case of can't be arsed just now. Although this weather isn't helping. 48 hours of gales and rain storms. Roll on spring!

08/10/2014 at 12:20

I feel you Pete... I'm still sickly  Most fed up now! 

Cake    pirate
08/10/2014 at 12:47

Bamabm very well done mate.

I'm feeling it as well was chuffing freezing this morning on the way to work.

08/10/2014 at 13:07

Thanks cake.

I can feel the start of a cold coming on so in the quandry of whether to carry on training and try and sweat it out or rest and hope it doesnt surface.

Cake    pirate
08/10/2014 at 13:15

There is a think called junk miles commonly no point training if your body is fighting something off I'd see how you feel but probably take it easy for a few day's. Colds are a pain in the bottom.

Razor51    pirate
08/10/2014 at 19:10

BamBam,

If it's a head cold you could proberbly carry on training but if it's on your chest forget it you'll only make it worse.  

08/10/2014 at 20:10
Feels like head cold.
Will rest today and tomorrow then do a swim Friday and see how things are...can't feel the snot running down your face when you're in the water
08/10/2014 at 20:41

Pool was a bit too busy for me to do what I wanted to do tonight - still got the lengths in but wanted to push how far id gone consecutively. Annoying when it's teenagers (shakes fist like an old man at the age of 28) pratting about when there's a leisure pool 20 ft away. Might as well get used to it - i know i won't be swimming by myself come race day.

Day 8 still not smoking or drinking. I thought the advice given above was sound then i realised that for the last 6 weeks i've been rewarding each training session with a well earned smoke...

Run tomorrow, hope the weather packs in. I haven't had to run in anything other than nice sunshine so far luckily. Can i ask whether anyone would run with how the weather has been today?

08/10/2014 at 21:51

Hello everyone, still no training from me, the chesty cough is a nuisance. I get out of breath and have to stop after one flight of stairs, so exercise is a long way off.
I have made enquires to join the company gym so I have no excuses for skipping training sessions in the winter. My thinking is that if I do a session straight after work then shower, catch the train, once home I can stay in the warm and dry.

Well done RP on the not smoking and drinking.

Razor51    pirate
08/10/2014 at 22:51

RP,

Think yourself lucky you have had good weather to train in, rain is ok to run in , its when you get into the winter months it gets tougher to get out of the door for a run. Last year I was running down the canal at 8am in Mid February it was  -4c and my sweat was freezing on my shoulders  but I felt chuffed that I had made the effort to get out there.

Mrs D, Steady, hope you're feeling better soon.

09/10/2014 at 08:24

I raced (whimpered round the course like a moron) our first cross country race of the season yesterday, the first proper exercise I've done since outlaw, it seems I have overdone the recovery phase, so much that I seem to have recovered my large gut from the late 90's. Bike has been dusted off and parkrun is back on the diary, and as soon as I have emptied the biscuit tin its going up the loft!

Cake    pirate
09/10/2014 at 12:39

JP had the same after I did outlaw came as a shock when realised it. I'd get yourself booked in for a race mate and get your motivation going a little. Birmingham half next weekend if you fancy it?

rp normally I run in all weather's unless there is ice, you never know what the condition's will be like if you enter a race. Saying that through I got the bus home last night because of a touch of flooding.

09/10/2014 at 19:56
Oops. ??550 poorer after getting my new bike. Looks like I've got to do it now.

Week 5 day 1 of couch 2 5k and found it so much easier to breath. The weather was fine, so my resolve will have to be tested another day!

I know what you mean about flooding! Chaos round here yesterday.
10/10/2014 at 09:38

Masters swim this morning.

Bit of an endurance session involving 2.4km wearing a baggy t-shirt. Good excuse to have a warm sausage roll from the sandwich man when he comes round though.

Might try and get out on the bike tomorrow if the weather isnt too bad.

15,521 to 15,540 of 15,833 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.