Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

15,521 to 15,540 of 17,564 messages
Magna Carter    pirate
27/12/2014 at 11:40

Barry, sounds pretty much like my path.... its fun.... you'll end up doing less and less pure running events though... and replacing them with tri's..... you've been warned! 

27/12/2014 at 12:17

I walked down the garden and back promptly followed by a sit down to recover. I will definitely be giving this enough time to clear before restarting proper exercise.

27/12/2014 at 18:15

Thanks for the welcome,

Steady/Magna - Did the change make you less injury prone, please say yes. Yeah looking forward to the challenge.

Is training to HR the preferred method for tri training?  I was lucky enough to get a 910xt for xmas, can anyone recommend a cadence sensor?  Out early yesterday morning for a 15 mile run, head started to clear after a couple of miles.  Back in work today but 20K on the indoor bike when I got home.

Magna Carter    pirate
27/12/2014 at 18:39

yes, especially less problems with ankles.... although ITB gave me some grief!..... and when injured, at least had an alternative training option that didn't feel like wasted effort!

27/12/2014 at 20:04

the Garmin cadence sensor will work with a 910xt, pairs up easily. Which reminds me that I need to reset mine. The turbo bike is No. 2 but I managed to set it up on bike 1 which is the winter workhorse bike.

Razor51    pirate
27/12/2014 at 21:16

I ran 5.4 miles this morning all in Z2 avg pace 10:39 min/mile which is 50 seconds faster than last week but that was off road so I'm happy with that and I'm feeling good.

Just need to shed the excesses of Christmas  

Cake    pirate
29/12/2014 at 13:37

Belated Merry christmas!!!!

and welcome Barry.

Got some good news on the injury front managed a few miles running with sarah on boxing day without the calf being a problem so think I should be alright if I ease my way back into it. Just going to to have to be careful and not worry to much that starting fink plan 3 weeks to late.

((((pete))))

29/12/2014 at 13:58

hi everyone

I am staying away from all the slippery stuff and just doing turbo sessions!! Should be ok to run/walk outside again by Thursday when they ice should have melted. I am missing my swimming sessions though

29/12/2014 at 17:08

Cake - Long or short term issue with the calf? 

Cadence sensor now ordered.  5 miles yesterday afternoon with middle 3 quick, pavements still slippy places.  1 hour in the pool this morning mainly left breathing practice with a few 100's at the end.  First time with the 910xt in the pool and very happy with it

Cake    pirate
29/12/2014 at 17:20

Just a niggle I hope anyway did a 10 miler running race start of december and mashed it up a little. I'm old and my body betrays me sometimes.

Got the better half a 910 for her birthday this year and think she loves in more than she loves me.  She's had some issue's uploading the info to her lap top just in case if you have any issue's a quick google should give you some trouble shooting tips.

29/12/2014 at 17:38

day 1 today so ran 30 minutes @ Z2 and just got back from the pool.Struggle doing an hour due to a little cold coming back so only managed 30 minutes. 

Hopefully be better tomorrow and ill do another 30 minutes to make it up

Cake    pirate
29/12/2014 at 17:52

Bristol don't over do it on the short team because of one bad session Got to think long term about the training. I'd do whatever you where going to do tomorrow and not tag the extra 30 minutes on if your body said b*gger off today it might just be in needs anouther day's rest before you kick arse.

29/12/2014 at 19:15

So glad today is rest day, unfortunately looks like tomorrow will be as well. I have worked out my Fink plan but it is going to have to be in pencil due to the amount of alterations that could be needed. Mr Steady senior is very poorly.

29/12/2014 at 19:16

Thanks cake. Point noted and will take your advice. Long way to go. 

29/12/2014 at 20:33

Retrieved trainers from work and biked to and from the train station over the crunchy white stuff.  I forgot the buff so had a cold chin and I remembered that the key to riding in the snow is to put the gear down and just keep on going! And not be wigged out by the cracking sound underneath my chunky monkey tires

Razor51    pirate
29/12/2014 at 20:41

5.6 miles run with my bessie mate Horse today all in Z2,  avg pace 10:30 min/mile. Should have been a rest day but could'nt resist going out  

30/12/2014 at 18:36

Cake - Go steady with the calf, I pinged mine last year and had a couple of false dawns when I thought it was OK but it went again when I pushed the pace.  Amazingly 910xt connected and transferred data to Garming connect and Strava on first attempt.

A few of you are mentioning training plans, what are you all aiming for in 2015?

Family trip to Brecons today and a walk up Pen Y Fan, been there 3 times this year and every time the weather has been poor at the top, so yet to see the views, pretty blowy and cold today. Back home and then 10 miles including 3 x (1slow and 2 steady) thought legs might be tired after this mornings walk but all good.

30/12/2014 at 18:44

Day 2 completed today. Only 30 minutes on the bike but think my body wasnt made for 100+rpm lol

barry-think a few of us are doing Outlaw this year

Cake    pirate
30/12/2014 at 18:46

Trying to mate just always get to exciting and do silly things. For me main race next year will be cotwolds 226 using the fink plan. Hopefully will get in Manchester, Giantshead and larma tree marathons in as well as the bike leg of Outlaw and a few sportives and fell run's if I'm luckly. It sounds inpressive until you realise I'm not that fast or any good.

Are you near the Beacons then?

30/12/2014 at 20:38

Cake would you be up for the Brecon Beacons Ultra in Nov then?  Husband says I can if I want

15,521 to 15,540 of 17,564 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.