Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

141 to 160 of 15,885 messages
27/01/2011 at 16:40
Steve Fordham,

I've never had anyone say it to me but I know that's what their thinking by the look in their face it's because when you say 750m swim they just think that's not much I can do that, then you say 20k bike and they think the same plus 5k run simple . What you said is what they don't realise is it's altogether lol and it's like circuit training some people come out saying that was easy but what they don't realise is its only easy cause they didn't work hard enough.

Hope that helps with your rant

Right I'm GOING SWIMMING TOMORROW!!!!!!!! I've been saying that since December and not been yet. I need to go because not swam since school 400 years ago well actually 22 but seems longer I need to go cause I'm having nightmares about going on Sunday (should of gone last week but Tigers got in the way) to swim and join local Tri club. The thing is I need to learn how to breath I'm mean that breathing from the side thing as swimming. I'm just hoping it's easy to pick up . So I must go tomorrow so kit in car tonight so no excuses
27/01/2011 at 16:43
O and forgot to mention my best stroke at School was back stroke which doesn't really help does it
27/01/2011 at 17:23

Cheers all.

Not sure about replacing one of the 5k sessions in these very early days - I think I need the time on my legs. But I might manage to tack a 1k on the end after a cycle ride or after riding home from swimming.

Hey, that last would be a mini-tri all on itself! Albeit with a nice hot shower in the middle.

27/01/2011 at 17:41
Don't you get showers after the swim on Tri's then
Edited: 27/01/2011 at 17:42
27/01/2011 at 17:49

I think there might have been a run-through spritz coming out of the dock at London, but I forgot to pack my shampoo and shower gel into my wetsuit.

I was too busy thinking of the nice cup of tea and a biscuit that was waiting for me in transition.

27/01/2011 at 17:50
I don't smoke but a glass of sherry sounds nice
27/01/2011 at 19:52
Silver Trucker - I've been going to go swimming all week, but still haven't made it. My local pool does the lane sessions first thing, and I've been adamant that after the night shift this week I was going straight there. I found though, that every day my bed has won out over the swimming pool. Strange.
Razor51    pirate
27/01/2011 at 20:31
ST..........It's been a long time since you have  been  swimming, now dont forget you will need a cosie and a towel.  lol 
27/01/2011 at 21:58

ST - enjoy the swim!

Sounds like everyone is doing great with their training, or at least their plans! 

Steve - i have to confess that all my friends think I'm completely nuts doing anything at all! That's why this site is so valuable. I don't know anyone else who runs, swims or cycles. I am trying to pursuade my youth club to do a 5k charity run though. We had the Mayor come and speak to us this evening about his Teens Unite which supports teenagers with cancer. My youngsters are considering it

Today was my long bike ride. Smidge was in nursery and I didn't have to work so managed 2 hours on the bike Went up and down the canal and pretty slow but really nice. Much better than on the roads. And the mars bars were much nice. Might try jelly beans next. What do you guys drink? (other than sherry of course)

Oh, and the other good news is that my daughter's school has started a lunch time athletics club. And the teacher has promised to look out for any opportunities for her to run. She is really excited.

Chilibean

28/01/2011 at 12:43

I have to report I did nothing yesterday, but have made up for it today.
Did 20 mins cycle then straight to x trainer for 10 mins, repeated twice more for a 1.5 hour workout, although I did keep it at an easy level.

Feeling knackered, so will put feet up and just do some more wrist /arm physio exercises this afternoon.

28/01/2011 at 13:14

Gosh, you've all been busy! Had to cancel my runs this week, still feeling yuck and coughing up all sorts of goo.  Tried a brief bike ride this morning but not 100% at all. Debating a swim later.

Yersinia - a quick run after a short bike is a great way to get the feel of what it will be like going through T2 at your event. As a few people have said, even a 5k bike then1k run will be of benefit. Almost see the bike bit as a warm up for your run!

Chilibean - I drink either SIS Go or Lucozade Sport powder Orange flavour, unless i'm going to eat something during the ride or run in which case I drink water or half flat Coke half water. Tastes better than it sounds! I tend to eat either Powerbar or SIS Gels, or Powerbar Cookies and Cream bar if I need a whopping hit of 900 calories!

28/01/2011 at 13:20

ST - Am waiting patiently for the swimming report...

Chili - great news about the athletics club and other activity plans going on! You are a driver for change!

SF - People generally seem impressed by the idea of triathlon in my social circles - even the friend who's boyfriend is thinking of doing a deca-Ironman....! My husband is disapointingly blase about it - I'd like him to be a bit more impressed when I say that I've booked onto two spin classes and plan on doing a 5k run after each of them. After all, I pretend I am impressed when he says 100kg on the chest press machine is too easy for him

Only training round these parts has been Zumba, and I'm not counting that. Yes I got a bit sweaty, but it wasn't what I would consider exercise. It was weird because it's like dancing, so I got into it a little bit, but then I realised I was in a gym hall in my gym kit and not out on the razz in my sparkly top with a cocktail on the side... Weird!

28/01/2011 at 13:25

Oh yes, drink!

I am about to start experimenting. At the moment I don't drink anything on my runs or cycles, but I do drink water on a swim. Quite silly since when it comes to the event, I won't be drinking anything on the swim and lots on the other two!

I've got some asda own brand orange stuff to try and some red powerade stuff too. I'm also going to experiment with homemade stuff (water, juice, salt), and have also heard about eletrolyte tabs that I am going to explore too. I started a thread elsewhere that has a load of ideas for other food to take on during races/training too. I'm going to be eating all sorts of delights over the next six months!

28/01/2011 at 13:49
OMG no I mean OMG ( that's goodness Chilli ) Do you have to do the swim bit in Triathlons??? you can guess the swim wasn't the best. I did 30 lengths 25 single lengths with a lot of spluttering and about 30 secs recovery after each one. Then 2 1,1/2 lengths was trying to do 2 lengths but didn't quite make it then I did it 2 lengths I no I no it's rubbish but it's been so long and it's not like riding a bike I'm gonna have to put a lot more effort into swimming. Looks like my training plan is gonna change. Still going on Sunday to Tri club I'm just hoping that some one will take me under their wing and see me as a challenge.

Gonna go for my brick session tomorrow 1hr bike 30 min run ( roughly 22k 5k ) that should sort me out

Water,lucozade sport, powerade, to drink. Eat porridge,toast jam,scramble eggs toast, 30 minutes before long stuff. I always always have pint semi skimmed milk and either banana or kiwi after training.

Edited: 28/01/2011 at 13:51
28/01/2011 at 14:05
I am glad some other people have experienced the same as me! I think it got to me more the other day because I was suffering after an hour high leg cadence on the bike...bad timing!! ?

On a happier note...two rest days in a row ?
28/01/2011 at 15:58
Hi Cake

Are you on about my half marathon in March? Have you done it before?
28/01/2011 at 18:10
Glad to hear someone else has to stop for a few gasps after each length of the pool! Went swimming this afternoon - managed 45 x 25m but hard work - got really out of breath, guess my poorly-ickness hasn't gone fully. But then, a new first - managed to get a nose bleed in the pool! Nightmare!
28/01/2011 at 18:16

Evening

Have to say the momentum on this thread is deffinitely keeping me going with my training plan!

ST - So you survived! Sounds pretty good since you haven't been swimming for a while.

Ginger- sorry you are still feeling ill.

Thanks for letting me know your drinks will experiment over the next few weeks. And I'll have a look at your other thread too Jevans.

Have just come in from a run/bike brick. Really didn't want to do it (which is quite surprising for me!). Was feeling cold before I started and there is a bitter wind - not strong enough to stop me going out, but chilly enough to feel a bit miz. Since my duathlon is run/bike/run I thought that this week I would do a run/bike brick. Felt tough but my watch says i did pretty well on my time. There was an idot boy cycling down the middle of the road in the dark on a unicycle that really annoyed me, but other than that it was uneventful.

Am a bit worried though that I might have a slight plantar fascitis thing on my right heel/instep. Been feeling tight for a few weeks and I've been rolling it with a golf ball. But this morning it was more of a niggle. Doesn't hurt now though after my run. Might rest from running for a few days and see if it will heal.

My hubby is away tomorrow so I'm going to have a girly day with my four little daughters. We are starting with blueberry pancakes for breakfast  

Happy weekend everyone!

Chilibean

28/01/2011 at 19:06
Cake, I think we are both way of the Mark cause I think your on about up north Stratford and I'm on about Stratford upon Avon lol am I right?
28/01/2011 at 19:10
The Shakepeare Raceway Half-Marathon
5/3/2011
12:00pm
Shakespeare County Raceway
Long Marston Airfield, Campden Road
Stratford-Upon-Avon

Event website:
http://www.Raceways.eu
141 to 160 of 15,885 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.