Training for a shorter Tri

For those not yet up to IM

161 to 180 of 15,178 messages
29/01/2011 at 11:10

Hi Chilibean - I had Plantar Fasciitis in Autumn of 2008 when I first started putting in bigger miles running - horrible agony.  It was characterised by being much worse in the mornings, so yours may not be PF if its OK in the mornings (my doc told me that overnight the tendons shrink/contract so when you get out of bed in the morning they stretch suddenly and its like standing on a nail deep inside your heel, just in front of the ball of your heel) .

I had to change my shoes to fix it (after having a gait analysis done) as they weren't giving me enough arch support (i'm a moderate overpronator) and they weren't giving me enough heel cushioning as I land hard on my heels. My funny narrow feet made finding some shoes tough, but finally settled on Brooks Adrenaline GTS and Saucony Hurricanes which have been spot on (I have 2 pairs on the go at once - I buy in advance of one pair wearing out, online, and get old models in sales for a cut price from sites like startfitness or runnersdirect).

Hope you're feeling better soon, Chili. Why not go for a swim? No strain on your foot!

I decided to try to kill of my lurgy this morning with 1 hour on the Turbo - i've got one of those training DVD's so gave it a whirl - dead good! Hard though, but made it through a 55min mixed Flat/Hill climb session. It's a Rides one in Southern California by Endurance films. Anyone experienced any other DVD's like this that they can recommend? I fancy getting another for a bit of variety.

29/01/2011 at 14:46
Hi all,

Done my brick session today 18k bike 6k off road run very happy felt good the only down side was it was Bloody Freezing lol when I got back from bike I got a second hat to put on feet felt better running to when they started warming up. Well worth it though best session of 2011 Tri club swim tomorrow well splutter
29/01/2011 at 15:56

ST - Sounds really good!

Seem to have gained an extra child and it is mayhem in my house. They are all rather grumpy considering all the fun things we've done so far - kids!

Ginger - it is worse in the mornings but not painful enough to stop me walking or anything. I have narrow feet too and wear Brooks Adrenaline. I haven't upped my milage but my trainers are a year old so have just bought a new pair in the end of the January sales. Am hoping that will solve the problem and maybe I should replace my trainers a little sooner.

Also think that walking several miles the other week in unsuitable footwear didn't help.

Chilibean

29/01/2011 at 17:44
I'm also loving the momentum of this thread, though frustratingly I still have nothing to add. I'd like some of those blueberry pancakes if there are any going spare!

ST - well done on the swim! I think improvement will come with grit and determination. I spent two months last year where I only went to the gym to swim (3 or 4 sessions a week), and did a lot of kick work to strengthen that element (which was the part I was getting so exhausted from). I used to have to stop half way when just kicking, but after six weeks I could do two full lengths all in one go! I also had one to one lessons (though they were supposed to be group lessons, I was the only one who turned up!) which really helped to pick up the other aspects of my stroke that needed improving, and you'll probably get that from Tri session...?

Oh - talking of swimming, I did sign up to a 5k swimathon in April... YIKES!!! 10 weeks to double the distance I can swim. And I also have to practise swimming in a 50m pool too.

I also hope to be putting a new tube in my rear bike wheel tomorrow. Then Monday will hopefully be the start of a better week.
29/01/2011 at 19:36
These forums really help me cause when I'm not feeling to good and want to skip training I just come on here and read what other people are doing and that gets me motivated.
Razor51    pirate
29/01/2011 at 19:53

Hi Gang ..........................I am feeling really lethargic and weak at the moment and I can't put my finger on what is wrong with me . Normally I like my training but at the moment I've got no motivation to get out there and do something, maybe I'm coming down with something. I last ran on Wednesday  (3.5 miles)  and felt totally crap but my time was nearly as it usually is.

ST....well done on the brick session and on your first swim/ splutter  lol.  It will all come together in the coming weeks.

29/01/2011 at 20:55
Thanks Razor51 hang in there we all hit weeks were CBA just got to forget last week and start tomorrow fresh and do which ever you like best swim/run or bike. I'm sure you will get your mojo back soon
Razor51    pirate
29/01/2011 at 21:09
Cheers ST   I will see how I feel in the morning.
29/01/2011 at 21:57
Razor - get some good stuff in you (fruit, porridge, juice, smoothie) and just see how you feel. Keep well hydrated - that seems to have helped me (she says, having had a week off...). But listening to your body is just as important. My husband says 'he told me so' when I went out on my bike last weekend. He said "you should rest if you have a sore throat". 3 miles in and I knew he was right, but I was out at that point and wanted to get on with it. Silly me.
29/01/2011 at 22:52
well 2km done the pool today.. got a long run of 11.5miles planned for tomorrow and need to fit a nice bike ride in somewhere.. help!
30/01/2011 at 14:32
Bootsie - jealous of your run. Did you do it?

I tell you what though people. I had to change the tube in my rear wheel today. I nearly considered quitting triathlon because of it. What a pain in the a$$! The tyre was so tight to try and get off - after 20 minutes I stomped off in a strop and husband did it. But it took him a while too. Then I couldn't get the flippin' thing back on! I tell you, if I have any problems in a race, I'm screwed. I'd rather DNF than spend 2 hours getting mighty frustrated and angry! Stupid bikes.

Off to glam up my swimathon page now in the hope I can get some lovely sponsorship and make swimming 5k seem like a good idea. I'm starting to quite regret it if I am honest!!! I have other things to think about!

Lovely weather out today though. Hope you've been able to make the most of it. I'm giving myself one more day for recovery and then off to the gym tomorrow. Can't wait!
30/01/2011 at 14:54
I would prefer to chew of my own leg than DNF
30/01/2011 at 18:53
Well I did it I met up with my local Tri club for a swim it was well worth it spent hour and half in pool and an experienced guy helped me out and gave me some tips and drills to do. I now can do 4 lengths not bad considering on Friday could only do 1 length. Did 800 meters altogether and I'm knackered now lol did most of swimming with float between legs so arms took the brunt of it all. Bring on next week
Razor51    pirate
30/01/2011 at 19:30
Well  done  ST....................The English channel next ???
30/01/2011 at 19:36

ST - sounds great!

Oh, no Jevans! This is not making me feel any better. I am just dreading having to learn how to change a tyre. And I can just picture the scene in your house cos that would have been my hubby and I! Who are you going to raise money for?

Well, after a hard training week I had planned yesterday and today as rest days. Pleased I did cos I woke up yesterday morning with a sore throat. I'm hardly ever ill. In fact apart from the occasional migrane I think the last time was last winter. Am still not feeling 100% and have been eating far too much chocolate over the weekend  - the huge box I was given for my birthday last week.

Hope to feel better tomorrow cos I want to cycle. Am going to give my foot another day of rest. 

Bootsie - did you get your bike ride in?

Razor- hope you are feeling better.

30/01/2011 at 19:39

no bike ride done but managed 11.17 miles and ended up with tired legs and a big blister on my foot!!!

will try and get home in time to do a bit of biking outdoors this week.. nightmare in the dark! 

30/01/2011 at 21:07

Tomorrow's the first day of my 16-week training plan. Going to make this a swim focus week, and hoping to get 3 swims in, plus some riding and running. Also got a cicuits class and would like to go skating, so the week could fill up quite alarmingly.

Today I cycled 20+ km aroungd the South Circular, and managed to tag a 1.3km run (well, more like a sluggish plod) on the end before pottering round the London Wetlands Centre and cycling home in the dark. I was pleased that I managed it up the most challenging hill in both directions without discomfort, but good grief it was cold out there today.

Hope it warms up soon.

Edited: 30/01/2011 at 21:08
30/01/2011 at 22:06
where did you get the training plan from yersinia?:
30/01/2011 at 23:07

Erm, 'plan' is perhaps overstating it - I'm using ideas from this thread to split the 16 weeks into four four-week periods with one week focussing on each discipline, followed by a drop-back week.

I'm maybe a tad unusual in that my cycling is by far and away my best discipline, and swimming is slowish but steady with no difficulty at all about the distance, while my running is ropey - I've only just got back into it after a break, have never done much and have always been slow, so can only just manage the race distance at a slow jog at the minute, though I know I can improve on that quite quickly.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
31/01/2011 at 11:21
chilibean - too much chocolate gives me a headache!
161 to 180 of 15,178 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.