Transitions in longer events

Does it make sense to take your time if completing rather than competing?

21 to 37 of 37 messages
debbo    pirate
12/05/2010 at 13:32
Seren I think if there is a transition tent you can get naked
12/05/2010 at 16:03

I wasn't planning on any nudity!

Some speedos on under wettie, then just pull cycling shorts on over them. Then in T2, whip off cycle shorts (holding tightly onto speedos!) and pull on running shorts?

I've gone 40km in Pirate tri shorts and they were fine, just thinking about twice as far. For a 2 minute change the decreased risk in chaffage (which would make the run hell) might be worth it?

Gyraffe    pirate
12/05/2010 at 16:13
Pants are pants.
OrangeCannon kona-5    pirate
12/05/2010 at 16:20
comando surely..???
12/05/2010 at 16:23

Speedos under cycling shorts???   They're pretty much guaranteed to chafe.

12/05/2010 at 16:50
I changed in IMCH - had a towel in transition anyway, so just wrapped it around waist and changed underneath. Meant clothing was one less thing to worry about, but might see if I can manage with tri shorts this year.
13/05/2010 at 12:49

Ali - go for a long bike ride this weekend in speedos and bike shorts to find out. 

I'm aiming to do everything in tri shorts and a pirate tank. But spose I'd better have a jacket handy for the bike cos weather forecast not looking warm for SwashB.

13/05/2010 at 17:06
i agree with regards to it all being a personal choice but at the vit i wore a tri suit and pulled on a long sleeve tech top over for the bike leg (rolled up so that it didnt get stuck at my shoulders, simply put your arms in and roll it down ). but it was probably warmer than your race will be...
meface    pirate
13/05/2010 at 21:37

I did the F3 Evening sprint last night.      750m OW swim, 20km bike and 5km run

Did the swim, took off wetsuit (and pirate swim hat) and did bike in Tri Shorts and Tri Top (worn under wettie)  plus a cycling jacket. Just put Tri shoes on the feet with no socks. <40 minutes later I got off the bike and started the run.

I could not feel my feet. It felt like I was running on stumps. Luckily they had pretty much returned to normal after 5km of running.

Air Temp was about 10 DegC. Some of the other competitors mentioned numb feet at the end. If the temp is anything like 10 DegC for the Swashbuckler I will take the extra time to dry feet and go for socks or overshoes. If I just go for socks I will stick the overshoes in a pocket (along with gloves).

I will more likely be troubling the cut-off than bothering the winners and therefore happy to waste 30 secs to be more comfortable for 3 hours of biking. Will probably just leave trishorts on after the swim.

Dave

Sore Shins    pirate
14/05/2010 at 01:08
nowt worse than being cold on the bike.... gloves are a must, you can always take em off.

i suffer cold feet and hands... im a right softy....

in IMUK i got the prize for longest transitions T1 21mins & T2 35mins as i could barely walk off the bike - took all the time i needed to massage ibuprofen gelinto my knees n ankles....

regarding trisuit or trishorts.... remember the longer the race the more chance youll have GI issues ... trishorts are best for 'easy' access.

another SS top tip is earplugs for the swim and bike - gushing cold water in the ears really affects me and then cold wind afterwards ... brrr makes me shivers just thinking about it

keswick long race next week - first ow of the year.... better get mi suitcase packed..
M...eldy    pirate
14/05/2010 at 01:39
Pirate shorts are perfect just on their own ..... no chaffing or nuffin

*not quite on thier own - I do wear other stuff as well
seren nos yn canu    pirate
14/05/2010 at 09:39
56 mins in transition  SS..you must be speedy to be able to afford that amount of time...................but it does make me feel happier about my transition time
Imeccentric    pirate
14/05/2010 at 09:41
In Germany if you pack a seperate kit a young lady with strip you cover you in lotion and then dress you , really this happened
MTri    pirate
14/05/2010 at 12:38
Is that part of the standard entry fee, or did you have to tick the "Extras" box?  I'm doing IM UK, so I'll porbably be so covered in chip fat?
14/05/2010 at 12:49
Imeccentric wrote (see)
In Germany if you pack a seperate kit a young lady with strip you cover you in lotion and then dress you , really this happened

How many separate kits can you pack?!

"No, changed my mind on this one, let's try that one..."

Sore Shins    pirate
14/05/2010 at 19:53
seren - after id made the bike cut off with an hour to spare i knew id be able to shuffle the marathon in 7hrs so i took my time.....

regarding imuk i got stripped of my wetsuit by a big ugly hairy manc chap , he dragged me 3 feet along the floor too on mi ar5e then tipped mi bag out everywhere...

so SS top tip ... strip yer self and ward everyone off with a stern stare or growl...grrrrr

nice fresh socks are a must for the run after 112 on the bike...

Rc.    pirate
14/05/2010 at 22:58
Sore Shins (M.) wrote (see)
..... regarding imuk i got stripped of my wetsuit by a big ugly hairy manc chap , he dragged me 3 feet along the floor too on mi ar5e then tipped mi bag out everywhere..

PMSL very funny SS

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 37 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.