Tri Bar Advice

21 to 40 of 50 messages
mellifera    pirate
30/07/2009 at 09:01
moving the seat forward is certainly essential if you want to be lower at the front otherwise you will close up your hip angle and lose power (and comfort). as you put your seat forward you will also need to put it up a little bit.
oxymoron    pirate
30/07/2009 at 09:55

can you not just get the bike shop to do you a bike fit, they don't normally charge too much.

Anyway TR, none of this will help you to become a "proper runner"

30/07/2009 at 11:22
TR  velocity bikes copnor road offer a bike measure and set up
TR
30/07/2009 at 11:54
WH – I checked it out before and it was too pricey for me, the bike is a beginners bike and is what it is, I just need to optimise the position a bit. 

CD/Mell – I’ll check the forwards adjustment, I think its pretty well forward anyway though.
 I’m low science so lower bars should mean more speed, lower bars with aero bars should mean ……..

Oxy – ha ha – you been following my antics ? I don’t want to be a proper runner, or proper biker, or proper…..I’m just a fit lummox that does a bit of sport. I just jump on the thing and smack the pedals round as hard as I can for an hour or 3.

Funnily enough the bike is in the shop cos the bottom bracket is “clunking”, they phoned and said the bike is a state and needs attention (brakes need freeing up/new brake pads/new cables etc) and it’ll all be £120 ! That’s more than the bike is worth ! They can change the bottom bracket, I’ll change the pads and read up on the net how to free up the brakes a bit.

No one told me I’d wear so much of the thing out, I’ve only had it a year and I’ve already had new tyres (twice), chains, cogs and now a bottom bracket.Perhaps I should look at it rather than pedal it.

Or perhaps I should “just” run after all

30/07/2009 at 12:37

TR - is nottingham too far oop north for ya???

IM distance

I've signed up for updates...

30/07/2009 at 12:40
set it up on your turbo until you feel right i took the shims out the stem and moved seat forward and tilted it slightly down seems alright bit of trial and error, i didnt use velocity either too much cash.
TR
30/07/2009 at 13:30

WH - agreed, thats my plan

WTG - already seen it. Depends when really, Forestman is on my Eldests B'day so may get veto'd. But it would be ace to have some others on here to train with "virtually" towards a big one.

mellifera    pirate
30/07/2009 at 13:37

being more aero only means more speed if you're putting out the same power (and can maintain it). most people have to find a compromise between the best aero and their the most powerful position they can maintain for the length of the race they do.

stop pretending you don't take it seriously, no-one is taken in

30/07/2009 at 14:30
Aug 8th TR
TR
30/07/2009 at 14:38

Top advice Mel thanks - do you mean that my secret sessions in teh science lab have been rumbled, and that someone has found my spreadsheet and schedule ?

Aug 8th - could be a sub3 thread smackdown then. 

mellifera    pirate
30/07/2009 at 14:45

more that wondering what everyone's exact drop is is a bit like needing a heart rate monitor to run 'tempo' - you just run hard for 30minutes right? i don't have a clue what my drop is and I haven't measured anything else on my bike set up - it's been done by feel.

but yeah, you can get less powerful by going lower  - you'll see what i mean when you try it. moving the saddle forward helps prevent that. there is a good article here but you don't need to read it - just look at the picture - tells you everything you need to know

Doozer.    pirate
30/07/2009 at 15:40
TR -  you'd be better off with a shopping basket on the front wouldn't you!!!!!!  
TR
30/07/2009 at 16:38

mel - nice one, you're a good egg. I'll start with no spacers and see how it goes.

Doozer - great idea, I dont have one, but do have the nifty half moon shaped reflectors still on the wheels that the bike shop fit, I could get some spokey dokeys for the NF too. Good job you can swim and bike faster than I can. 

Doozer.    pirate
30/07/2009 at 16:42
Most people run quicker than me anyway. That's why I'm going to take up time trialing properly next year.
TR
30/07/2009 at 16:53

You're not a bad runner - you were going along pretty well at Ballbuster.

There's no way I'll be able to keep up with you in the swim and bike. I just meant you wouldnt want some lummox on a bike with a shopping basket pedalling after you.

TR
30/07/2009 at 21:19
30mm of spacers moved to above the bars. The drop is about 2 inches at tops. I'll see how it goes, and adjust the drop as necessary.
TR
31/07/2009 at 10:45

90 mins on teh turbo today, felt good with lower bars, I'll put the aero bars on at the weekend.

Where does teh computer go now though ? theres elbow pads in the way.

31/07/2009 at 10:55
will it fit on the stem
ImRio    pirate
31/07/2009 at 10:59
You can get computer mounts TR not expensive and attach either to the aerobars or the handlebars to give more room
31/07/2009 at 10:59
21 to 40 of 50 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.