Tri Newbie

21 to 40 of 108 messages
12/03/2013 at 11:37

That was 2hrs with the kiddies re-learning - so not swimming non-stop! 300 meters for the swim in the sprint...

14/03/2013 at 18:31

hey Wattisham is going to be my first ever tri

57days and counting

14/03/2013 at 19:07
Hi Crawlin enjoy the journey
PTI? You are not from a military background perchance?
15/03/2013 at 10:15

I'm learning crawl, when I turn up with my float aids and inflatables people think im on some sort of crazy stag do.

15/03/2013 at 15:24

Yay - so I'm not the only one using Wattisham as a my first attempt?? Great!

I'm loving the training I must admit.... Feel free to remind me when I said I've had enough

Hi Ridge - no I'm not a PTI! Deal with quite a few with them though through Military Fitness...

17/03/2013 at 22:52

i did a 10mile cycle on Thursday, then went for a 3mile run.......epic fail, legs felt so dead!!

hoping next week it will be better!!

18/03/2013 at 09:24

That's hardly a failure - you did it, you know what it feels like for next time when you'll psyche yourself up for it...

I did 1hr in the pool yesterday, lost count of how many laps for front crawl so really pleased, plus did some drills that I'd done on friday for arms and legs...

Then a 47min run which was exhausting but really good - in a weird sort of way

All in all a good weekend

18/03/2013 at 13:20

Im also in training for my first tri, did a mini one in the gym yesterday.

Bike 13K, run 2.5K then swam for 18 lengths  (not non stop yet)

Suprised that i feel ok today, no pain so next sunday can increase the distance.

I have only 7 weeks to go so need to improve my swimming, have a block of 6 lessons booked starting tonight to improve my technique

18/03/2013 at 13:46

You're doing an open water swim arent you? Saw your message on the site, good luck with that! Well done for your gym tri, I havent done a trial-tri so to speak yet, might try this weekend. When I spoke to my coach re swimming, as long as you can put in two decent sessions in the pool a week, for the distance we're doing, we should be ok. Its just to get comfortable with the technique and then you can put the distance in. I managed two 13mile rides each way (so 4 in total) last week, to and from station. So am hoping that a few weeks of that will increase both my familiarity with gears and riding with aching legs.

Proof will be in the pudding on race day though.

18/03/2013 at 17:20

Hi Crawling,  if your training is purely aimed at your tri event i would try to replicate the race more than you are currently doing.  If it was me, would drop weights / army training.

Ride a bike lots more, on the road. do brick sessions and just focus on swim tech - far better doing 100m correct than 2 hours wrong.

Good luck and have fun!

18/03/2013 at 19:58

are you doing the British Gas East Swim at Alton water this year?? i did the mile last year and loved it

19/03/2013 at 09:34

Hi Teddy,

Training has changed slightly from when I put it up last week:

Sunday - 1hr swim (drills and lots of FC laps) + 47mins run (4miles or so - Garmin gave up on me)
Monday - 5mile run (treadmill) - Military Fitness (boxing - I run the club so find it tricky not showing up)
Tuesday - 13.7 mile bike ride to station and back this evening
Wednesday - 1hr run (treadmill) - Military Fitness
Thursday - same as Tuesday
Friday - 2hr swim coached lesson
Saturday - Rest
Sunday - 2hr swim coached lessons + gym or run or bike ride. Havent made my mind up yet....

You'll probably tell me off for not having another rest day.....?

19/03/2013 at 09:37

Jamie - I havent ventured out on open water yet - need to start thinking about that! Well I've been thinking about it just havent done anything about it LOL

A friend mentioned a duathlon in April - Great Notley Spring Duathlon - anybody doing this?

http://www.entrycentral.com/index.php?raceid=100480

19/03/2013 at 10:42

Teddy - agreed with you - have been trying to persuade Mrs Paperman to do the same thing. She's done a lot of weights work to lose weight (successfully) and seems to have got a bit addicted to it, rather than doing tri training - although she's planning events (anyone doing Clacton?)

I keep trying to tell her that at the point someone sticks a weights bench in transition, she'll beat me hands down - until that point, she'd better start getting some bike miles in!

19/03/2013 at 10:47

You do get addicted to weights I must admit... But given up Bodypump for my attempt at a Tri... Let's see...

19/03/2013 at 11:07

That's one I haven't managed to make her let go of - she's got a Body Pump class booked tonight!

19/03/2013 at 12:11

Yup that'll be tricky to get her off

21/03/2013 at 09:03

An enforced rest day due to technical reasons. Running shoes at home and gear (and me) in London. Doh!!

Made up for it (I think) by pushing hard on my ride in this morning... I do so love it when cals burnt is over 1k....

WildWill    pirate
21/03/2013 at 09:12

I do weights during the 'off' season but cut back when i move into my 20 week programme ... but even now i do 1 or 2 Insanity training sessions each week ... this to will be cut back as I get closser to my race.

When I raced shorter distances I did more weights ... cos you other sessions aren't as long (if that makes sense)

21/03/2013 at 09:16

Certainly not done much on the parallel bars, judging by their Superstars showing! (although, no, I can do those dips either!)

21 to 40 of 108 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.