Distances: 750m 20k 5k (SoBR)
Organiser: "The London Triathlon, 14-15 Lower Grosvenor Place, London SW1W 0EX"
Cost: £TBC
Phone: (020) 7559 2929
Email: info@thelondontriathlon.com
Web: http://www.thelondontriathlon.com/
Bouncing Barlist    pirate
04/02/2004 at 20:47
There seems to be a sprint and Olympic distance. Sprint appears to be 5k run.
04/02/2004 at 20:52
M - yeah you are right the 10km is the olympic triathlon run distance - according to the London Triathlon website the sprint course is 750 m swim 20km bike and 5km run but if you enter as a team of three you can each do a super sprint - 400M swim, 10km bike and 2.5 km run - all i need is two willing chums!

Carl as one reformed (almost) couch potato to another - congrats on your achievements thus far. I have found progress has been stop start but two years ago I could not run for a minute, and now I can say I completed a marathon before the sweeper van!!
M.
04/02/2004 at 20:54
cool - i'd like to give the olympic a go. my swimming isn't bad (about 8 mins for 400m so i reckon about 32 mins for 1500m)

but my cycling is truly awful. 40k might take me several weeks!

but april - july gives me loads of time to practice. £63 is quite a lot though!
M.
04/02/2004 at 20:56
I think it's less if you're a member of triathlon association or whatever it is, it tells you on the site anyway
M.
04/02/2004 at 20:56
well done guinevere! if you've done a marathon a sprint tri should be no problems. i did my first one before i'd even done my first half marathon. and it was easier!
M.
04/02/2004 at 21:15
Ah but it took me in excess of FIVE hours to do the marathon.
Though in my defence I had only trained for 10 weeks or so.
And the Edinburgh course is very hilly!!
In fact they have reversed bits of it for this year cos of the complaints :-D
04/02/2004 at 21:16
M - if you have any tips for better swimming then I'd appreciate them. I am not so concerned about the cycling and running, as i just need to put the miles in. But swimming is a definite weakness!
04/02/2004 at 21:19
M, im doing the Marathon and Tri training together and find that the activities compliment each other a bit. Im building up to the bike endurance rides which will increase my stamina but keep the impact of my feet. The swim is also a good non weight bearing workout. I admit it is hard to fit it all in, im lucky I don’t have any home commitments, a Gym at work and a there are quite a few runners at work to go out with at lunchtimes so im able to fit in about 6-9 training sessions a week.

I have moved most of my long runs from a Sunday to a Thursday evening freeing up Sunday for some races (practice) and long bike sessions. I try and fit in another couple of 6 mile runs in the week and another medium distance bike. The 1 or 2 swims (which are only 20 mins due to injury) are slotted in when I have a spare few mins, again the pool is only 1 mile from my house and on the way home from work.

Seems I have all the facilities if only my body was willing…..
04/02/2004 at 21:24
Guinevere, at this stage I suggest getting some l21 lessons at your local pool to sort out any probs with your stroke, nreathing etc. This is what I did and for the 5 or 6 weeks brfore my shoulder gave in (Not due to swimming) I was improving quite a lot. They cost £10 for 30 minutes, I know its another cost but in the scheme of things I felt it was worth it. For more professional and tri specific coaching there are weekend/day swim camps type thingies that I think are about £100-£200 (more for the experienced Triathlete I think though I guess they could work for a beginner). Ive also been told about a good book ‘Total Immersion’ – the web addy is http://www.totalimmersion.co.uk/
04/02/2004 at 21:25
Carl stick with it sounds like you are doing great
I have started running 3 to 4 lunchtimes a week plus sat/sun but thinking of swapping shorter weekend run for a long bike ride to take strain off the old knees and hips etc!
Just need to start building in a few swims after work and I'll be sorted.
Oh and cycle to work. When the wind dies down...
04/02/2004 at 21:25
Maybe I should get some lessons on my spelling to...
04/02/2004 at 21:29
Being a newbie I suprise my self at the advice I can give already lol. Just passing on whats been passed to me by others in the forum.

RW is one of the most useful info sources anywhere, the people here are just great.

Anyway time for a bit of couch traing im off to watch TV, see u all later...
04/02/2004 at 21:30
Thanks Carl
I never learned to swim till I was 11 and then never really got into it again till about three years ago (I used to hate exercise - can you tell!)
Before I started running I swam three times a week but it was hard going and I think my technique is a bit crap!
When I had a sore back last year the physio told me not to swim (???) so am definitely rusty again!
04/02/2004 at 21:35
Well you seem to be doing great to, you do have to watch out for injury so take it steady.

I started to swim at an early age and was always a strong swimmer but never done front crawl and couldnt manage a length. Thechnique is very very important as is breathing, I certainly noticed a very quick improvement even from just 2 lessons.
M.
04/02/2004 at 23:22
definitely agree on the lessons.

if you can find a local tri club they often do a coached session once a week

carl - you are doing loads!!!! wow! i get so tired from marathon training that i just can't be bothered to do the rest. and training twice a day takes it from being a pleasure to being a chore. so i'm guessing i may not be cut out for tri's!
M.
05/02/2004 at 08:58
M - I am not cut out for sport full stop, I am just trying to change!!

I think I will book some swimming lessons, it sounds like a good idea.

BTW I cycled into work today. It was a bit scary. And not sure of the wisdom of a thoroughbred road bike on the pot-holed streets of Edinburgh. Ouch.
05/02/2004 at 09:23
M - you dont have to train twice a day for Tri's.

Im training for an Ironman in July, even though im sometimes training 8 times a week im maxing about 7 hours training as its all my bofy can cope with. Some of my sessions are only 30mins but I try and concentrate most of my effort on 2-3 long sessions (1-2 hours).

Ive seen some of the Ironman plans and know I should be doing more but am at the limit of my bodies endurance at the mo. Some plans build you up to 16 hours a week (or even more).

05/02/2004 at 09:27
Well done for cycling in Guinevere hope you have somewhere safe to leave your bike or its insured. Oh and as a matter of interest how far is your work?

The potholes wont be to bad if you miss them lol, if the roads are really bad it might be worth investing £50 on a second hand mountain bike to save your thoroughbred from damage (oh and dont forgtet the spare Tubes).
05/02/2004 at 10:06
Guinevere, why wait until London next year. As you're already getting fit for a marathon you hopefully wouldn't have a lot of difficulty building in the odd cross training session by cycling or swimming. You could then take part in one of the Scottish Triathlons this season.

If you're keen on open water there is a Portobello Sprint Triathlon on 25th July in Edinburgh. Details at: http://www.tri-scotland.org/
21 to 40 of 94 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.