Triathlon with a hernia

4 messages
20/02/2006 at 12:33
Anybody got any experience of doing a triathlon with a hernia?

I've just been to the doctors this morning and was diagnosed with a hernia....18 month waiting list!

Doc said ok to do running, cycling and swimming but no weight lifting or abdominal exercise.

20/02/2006 at 13:15
Cliffy, depends on what type of hernia.

I had a 'sport's' hernia, just above my navel. Had it for 10 years and got it through overdoing stomach crunches in the gym.

if its this, no problem for you whatsoever. I did weights and running for years with no effect.

just got it sorted late last year, in and out in a day, and was running again within three days.

If however its lower down in the base of your abdomen. I think called an Inguinal hernia, then unfortunately the doc may be right.

cheers.
20/02/2006 at 18:08
Thanks dave, my hernia is the groin area and as you say is a Inguinal hernia.

I haven't done any training for the past 7-8 days, will try a run mid-week and see how it goes.
20/02/2006 at 18:28
careful old chap, the problem as I'm sure you know is if the bowel pops out and gets constricted... it then becomes a rush job and operation within hours.

...best wear something tight to support the area and stop things popping out that shouldn't be.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.