Try a tri?

but....

1 to 20 of 23 messages
31/08/2003 at 15:11
I bought a copy of 220 Triathlon magazine last weekend and it had a really useful CD-Rom on it which outlined the basics of triathlon and stuff. I thought - what a good idea. I've just bought a bike - OK, it's a softy commuter type bike but what the hell. I've been running for about 6 months or so. What's stopping me from entering a novice event? Well, swimming. I haven't been swimming in ages so I thought I'd investigate our local pool and go for a splash today, until I found out how much it cost.

Nearly £4. I can't afford that, not regularly anyway. At least once you've got running shoes and a bike you haven't got to pay every time you go out....

Any ideas on how I can get swimming training without having to pay through the nose for it??
31/08/2003 at 18:46
can you a monthyly or quarterly pass as they usually work out quite cheaply if you swim 3-4 times a week

or join a tri club and see if they have subsidised pool sessions
iron fraggle    pirate
31/08/2003 at 19:11
My (local council) gym membership gets me free use of all the local pools as well - are you a gym bunny too?
31/08/2003 at 20:33
Joining a swimming club is normally much cheaper too.
AndrewSmith    pirate
31/08/2003 at 21:27
Find yourself a local tri club who do swim sessions. they are usually cheaper and more accomadating to beginner/improvers than swim clubs they may even have a coach who will help you as part of a normal session which means no extra cost for lessons.
31/08/2003 at 21:37
My gym doesn't have a pool, and my local pool monthly fee is more than my gym membership!

I might look into a local tri club, but I'll get better on the bike first - see if I *really* want to give it a go...
31/08/2003 at 21:38
I've changed my name from Tweety to Charlie by the way...
01/09/2003 at 11:42
charlie - look around at other pools, local council pool to me is about 2 quid a go, but very hot and overcrowded, the other local pool which i use regularly ,as its less crowded and colder, you have to be a member of, but only about 40quid a year, then 2.50 a time to swim or gym.(although less for me as i am a student) ask around anyone you know who swims, they should be able to help.
01/09/2003 at 12:26
Thanks Moosey, I'll investigate
Kanga (M.)    pirate
01/09/2003 at 15:42
MCBP - I've not long long Serpentine (Serpie) Tri who do various swim training sessions, all on their website incl email groups.

Kanga
01/09/2003 at 21:37
THanks guys. I've emailed Sevenoaks Tri club to see whether they think it's worth me joining - after all I am REALLY slow. (wouldn't want to embarrass myself)

I'll let you know what happens...
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
04/09/2003 at 18:48
Charlie - wouldn't worry about that, I've been in tri 10 years and still finish towards the back!
AndrewSmith    pirate
04/09/2003 at 22:50
go for it. I used to train with sevenoaks until it became awkward to arrange my time (i still would if i could) and they will help you out. don't worry about slow they've got all sorts and I believe they have a coach at some sessions as well. If you haven't found out already they were training tues 8:30 fris 8:00 and sun 6:30 at sevenoaks pool. that may have changed but i don't think so. it is surprising how much you will improve with a little structured training. good luck.
WildWill    pirate
04/09/2003 at 23:03
I Never manage a top half finish either - I just enjoy - thats the beauty of TRI

:o)
05/09/2003 at 17:42
THanks for all the encouragement guys. It's really nice. I was quite worried about being the slowest, but I shan't worry so much now! I'm going to go to swim training tonight (hopefully)

Cheers
AndrewSmith    pirate
05/09/2003 at 20:33
good luck people I am hoping for rain, I like rain. Planning to go off fast (for me) to pace a friend around the first 10 miles or so, just to stop him from going too hard to start. I want to do 8 min mls for as long as possible up to 10/13mls to keep him slow(easy pace for him hard for me) then I plan to die like a dog and grovel in under 4hrs. We shall see. met office is now saying sun/cloud 18c and 20mph southerly for Manston. I will be the fat one with the white t shirt, long black shorts (to stop my thighs rubbing) and brand new asics nimbus(probably hobbling from blisters as I haven't worn them yet) and probably crawling from half way onwards.
AndrewSmith    pirate
05/09/2003 at 20:35
sorry posted that in the wrong forum not thinking straight already
06/09/2003 at 13:56
Make sure the pool is a decent one! I used my gym's pool. Imagine preparing for an ironman by swimming non-stop for an hour and a half.....in a 15 metre pool!

A very dizzy BB.
06/09/2003 at 15:05
hahaha yes my gym is the same bb - 15m. great for practising tumble-turns only!
06/09/2003 at 15:17
At least I'd be able to manage a whole length!
1 to 20 of 23 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.